Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:39 PM

2,212 posts, read 551,012 times

Advertisements

If we are always reasoning, then can we cultivate the silence in which God speaks?

Hunger for God is one of the greatest signs of life a person can have. We must press past intellectual awareness to hunger for heartfelt encounters that change and transform.

"O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee; my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is." - Psalm 63:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 02:53 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,045,032 times
Actually when reason come in and rejects faith in Jesus promises come through the spirit of antichrist which is enemies to Jesus and His plan to bless His Children with the grace of God....... Like the scripture Luke 8:12 which says ......``Those by the way side are they that hear, then comes the devil , that takes away the Word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved ``.....................So people that fail to believe then Holy Spirit will stop the process for answered prayer

Old 05-02-2016, 04:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,940,309 times
God does not speak in silence. God speaks to the world in his word.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
How interesting. That was where I was mumbletey -seven years ago wondering how to get in touch with whatever -god. The silence of meditation was the way, the mind -blocking chatter of prayer or preaching or theophanic debate just got in the way.

The written word also didn't seem to be of much help unless it taught us how to get in touch with God, and as I say, meditation, rather that the mumble, mumble, of recited set prayers seemed the way to do it.

I am sure that Augie is not intending to say that God is not going to speak to us, as He has said everything that needs to be said in his Book.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:07 AM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
How interesting. That was where I was mumbletey -seven years ago wondering how to get in touch with whatever -god. The silence of meditation was the way, the mind -blocking chatter of prayer or preaching or theophanic debate just got in the way.
The written word also didn't seem to be of much help unless it taught us how to get in touch with God, and as I say, meditation, rather that the mumble, mumble, of recited set prayers seemed the way to do it.
Yes!!!, But it takes far more than patience. It took me 18+ years, Arq and I was NOT looking for God. I sought Nirvana, oneness, and cessation of desire. What a shock it was!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:37 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,059,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Finch View Post
If we are always reasoning, then can we cultivate the silence in which God speaks?

Hunger for God is one of the greatest signs of life a person can have. We must press past intellectual awareness to hunger for heartfelt encounters that change and transform.

"O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee; my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is." - Psalm 63:1

Amen

Old 05-03-2016, 01:08 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
That sounds very Buddhist and to an extent I agree with it. We can't receive communion with anything - even our own deepest selves - with all the chatter that goes on daily.

That's why meditation can be great for people seeking that stillness.

I don't know about reason specifically as the culprit, though. When attempting to reason we should use reason, I can't see throwing reason and logic out the window when in beta consciousness (as opposed to alpha), indeed it might be a pretty bad fit. We NEED to use reason when fully conscious, in order to make sense, stay safe and function.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,450,119 times
God is absolutely still speaking.

Those who will spend years of their lives arguing minutiae (like what day the crucifixion happened, just as one example....) will never, ever hear God because they are caught up in the words and in being correct. They cannot silence their minds and humble themselves enough to just listen.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:30 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

Those who will spend years of their lives arguing minutiae (like what day the crucifixion happened, just as one example....) will never, ever hear God because they are caught up in the words and in being correct. They cannot silence their minds and humble themselves enough to just listen.
Well said. I feel that way about those who can't stop reciting bible verses.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:33 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

What new command has God given you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity