Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Thank you, curly, but I can't help but wonder about the anaology of someone who was deaf and then begins to think they might be hearing music.

That person would totally lack any understanding, much less any context within which to process/comprehend what they were hearing...They probably wouldn't even realize that it was music, at all...

Take gentle care.
Are you asking for one who is physically or spiritually deaf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Are you asking for one who is physically or spiritually deaf?
Neither.

I was using the above analogy as an example of how one would be able (or not) to know, perceive, what the holy spirit actually is...

Take gentle care.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Neither.

I was using the above analogy as an example of how one would be able (or not) to know, perceive, what the holy spirit actually is...

Take gentle care.
The best answer would be John 14:15-26; John 3:1-21.
The Holy Spirit is the Father (God).

Blessings

Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
To me the Holy Spirit is the idea of what love should be (=abstract love).
And when you act accordingly you will be love (=concrete love) and feel fulfilled by it.
The function of the Holy Spirit is in my opinion to inspire people to do good.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Quote:
As well, what would account for the Holy Spirit not being a "comforter" but rather, something far more unsettling? Is that possible?
The Holy Spirit is a guide.. the way God speaks to us on earth. To a believer, He comforts us when we do right, reproves us when we do wrong, and guides us into all truth.

Since He is a guide, He is not only a comforter... it is not necessarily comfortable to be led from a place we feel comfortable in! But neither is the Spirit's voice one of confusion.. that comes from a different source.

It's often a very still, very small, yet persistant and simple leading. We are the ones who make it too complicated....

Old 03-04-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
The Holy Spirit is a guide.. the way God speaks to us on earth. To a believer, He comforts us when we do right, reproves us when we do wrong, and guides us into all truth.

Since He is a guide, He is not only a comforter... it is not necessarily comfortable to be led from a place we feel comfortable in! But neither is the Spirit's voice one of confusion.. that comes from a different source.

It's often a very still, very small, yet persistant and simple leading. We are the ones who make it too complicated....
Thank you cg81. Once again wonderfully put.

Blessings

Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post

.. it is not necessarily comfortable to be led from a place we feel comfortable in! But neither is the Spirit's voice one of confusion.. that comes from a different source.

Oh.

Just curious: What is the "different source?"

It doesn't make sense to June, (when taken collectively) that it should/would be complicated. I suspect, however, that it is. I certainly don't consciously chose to make understanding more difficult or complicated than it necessarily need be, but I'm just not getting this...

I think that for anyone who lacks a frame of reference, it must undoubtedly be confusing, to the point of unknowing...

Some things, perhaps, are simply outside June's comprehension.

...Not meant to be known.

Or "known."

Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Quote:
Oh.

It doesn't make sense to June, (when taken collectively) that it should/would be complicated. I suspect, however, that it is. I certainly don't consciously chose to make understanding more difficult or complicated than it necessarily need be, but I'm just not getting this...

I think that for anyone who lacks a frame of reference, it must undoubtedly be confusing, to the point of unknowing...

Some things, perhaps, are simply outside June's comprehension.

...Not meant to be known.

Or "known."
I think I understand June's confusion...She is trying very hard to undersatand something that is unknown to her..She is trying to understand concepts and ideas that really cannot be proven by well meaning words coming from men or books. I think she is trying to grab hold of and understand what she knows and understands as consciousness, unconsciousness as conditions of the natural body functions that can determin the decision making in our lives..She does understand that we have choices in this life and that hopefully we would choose the best choice...She is having difficulty relating these very human and natural functions as being controlled or attributed to an invisible, multipersonalitied, omnipresent, omnipotent god who is described in some "religions" as a loving parent who rewards beyond imagination or who doles out unthinkable torture on his children if they don't follow the rules.

June is having trouble seeing through the smoke screen that "religion" has put between herself and her creator..June is trying to see and understand something that she may feel, but cannot understand, because she can only see the smoke screen, when she is trying to see what is on the other side of it..

IMO, we have the ability to clear that smoke screen ourselves...In my case I felt a hand (a connection to the source) grasp mine through the smoke to guide me through it..

Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Love, like beauty is illogical and completely in the eye of the beholder.
But if your parents truly loved you as a child, you'll be able to love others.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:31 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Quote:
Oh.

It can be something just as simple as "ourself".

Quote:
I believe you june... I really do. This is not what I was trying to say, that you were consciously trying to make it complicated. What I meant (if I can explain myself more clearly) is sometimes we expect it to be complicated.. or that it takes alot to understand, or know, when it is so simple that it is difficult...

I know that I sometimes make it that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity