Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:25 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,891,472 times

Advertisements

How can you believe in something that could only be derived from reading a particular book? Especially something about the Creator.

There are things about the Christian faith that could only be known from reading books or doctrines. The Christian faith is derived from certain sections of the Bible and other writings. Wouldn't the true God be able to communicate with us without using writings of man?

If God really wanted to speak to us, wouldn't he use a more universal method?

Because to me it seems that fundamentalist religion is the product of good salesmen. "Look at our book. Page 5 seems to be true doesn't it? Therefore that strange part on page 11 must be true as well, right, even though it seems contradictory? Doesn't that make sense? And be honest, don't you want to believe that many of your enemies will be tortured forever. Doesn't that make you happy to know that your god is holy?"

No, it doesn't make sense to me. The only Enemy is the one who divides man into groups that hate each other. And I'm not the type to fall for good salesmanship either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 05:30 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,954,096 times
Jesus said to seek and ye shall find. Until a person does that, then they'll remain blind.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:45 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,612,519 times
You would think after intentionally scrambling the languages at the Tower of Babel, the all knowing creator would have revised his Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth book to reflect all the new languages it created.

Another failure

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 06-09-2016 at 05:59 AM..

Old 06-09-2016, 06:10 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How can you believe in something that could only be derived from reading a particular book? Especially something about the Creator.

There are things about the Christian faith that could only be known from reading books or doctrines. The Christian faith is derived from certain sections of the Bible and other writings. Wouldn't the true God be able to communicate with us without using writings of man?

Because to me it seems that fundamentalist religion is the product of good salesmen. "Look at our book. Page 5 seems to be true doesn't it? Therefore that strange part on page 11 must be true as well, right, even though it seems contradictory?
God reveals Himself to humanity through the Word.
The Word is telling us how God interacted with humanity physically, spiritually and audibly.

Quote:
Doesn't that make sense? And be honest, don't you want to believe that many of your enemies will be tortured forever. Doesn't that make you happy to know that your god is holy?"

No, it doesn't make sense to me. The only Enemy is the one who divides man into groups that hate each other. And I'm not the type to fall for good salesmanship either.
God is going to save all mankind because Christ ransomed all mankind (see 1 Timothy 2:4-6). It is good and acceptable..

Old 06-09-2016, 08:01 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,708,591 times
Quote:

Because to me it seems that fundamentalist religion is the product of good salesmen. "Look at our book. Page 5 seems to be true doesn't it? Therefore that strange part on page 11 must be true as well, right, even though it seems contradictory? Doesn't that make sense? And be honest, don't you want to believe that many of your enemies will be tortured forever. Doesn't that make you happy to know that your god is holy?"

Wow, it seems there is some deep issues going on ?
First thread " Faith in...what? " and now this thread, "Why did God need to use a book?" "

Answer: Sure, He could draw pictures rather then words like you see now in instruction papers to assemble furniture etc., or driving hand books for universal signs !
Drawing pictures are a wonderful way or method that seems to work for universal communicating .

I have one question, "Would or does anyone like having a conversation with someone that don't believe who you say you are and then find anything you're going to say their not going to believe it ? "

Don't ppl have better things to do then come to a forum and no matter how nice or help you give them they find something to criticize . I believe they're just really very unhappy ppl. and so knowing a ppl who have a love for a certain subject or person what better place one could get ppl all worked up and causing a division is to hang out in such forums to stir-up things to satisfy their unhappiness .
Cause you know no matter what you would share with them it isn't going to make any difference as they are just really deeply un-happy with life in general

Old 06-09-2016, 09:00 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,608,154 times
God didn't use a book.
The faith was spread by events and people.
In regards to Christianity, it was spread by witnesses.
Eventually these witness accounts and the teachings of
the early Christians were written on papyrus sheets
by those who could afford to write, were learned enough
to write, and could protect those writings from the enemies
of the Church.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:05 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:

No, it doesn't make sense to me. The only Enemy is the one who divides man into groups that hate each other.
And I'm not the type to fall for good salesmanship either.
I agree. It doesn't make sense.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:24 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,232,868 times
The fact an Omni-Everything God would choose such a nonsensical way to communicate is reason enough to dismiss the bible as anything more than a fascinating blend of myth, magic, poetry and philosophy with some historical information.

A Guidebook To God it ain't.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:39 AM

45,672 posts, read 27,291,457 times
Quote:

Actually, He did that already. It explained in the book He supplied.

He is doing that now... in that He is in the people who believe in Him, and in the book He supplied. The book is the universal message. The people that He embodies with the message are in most cultures. Seems pretty universal to me.

Maybe HE is not the issue.

Instead of waiting for God to speak to you, why don't you go to Him? And go to Him without any preconceived notions or standards of behavior with which He must comply?

Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,708,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
God didn't use a book.
The faith was spread by events and people.
In regards to Christianity, it was spread by witnesses.
Eventually these witness accounts and the teachings of
the early Christians were written on papyrus sheets
by those who could afford to write, were learned enough
to write, and could protect those writings from the enemies
of the Church.
Amen, Snowball7 !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity