U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 8,629,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post

One way of summing up the gospel of Jesus Christ is to say that all the religions which promise, that if you do the right things then you will be on the side of God and He will take care of you, are all a lie and a cheat. What really matters is changing who you are in your very heart and soul to embrace love and decency to your fellow human beings. And while this is generally impossible for us to do by ourselves, God can if we seek His help.
Could not have said it better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 07:45 PM

7,379 posts, read 7,053,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Could not have said it better.
As I questioned in the other thread, why is this perceived as only possible through the Christian God. Do not other individuals in other religions and non-religions treat others with love and decency?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:52 PM

21,093 posts, read 25,540,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
As I questioned in the other thread, why is this perceived as only possible through the Christian God. Do not other individuals in other religions and non-religions treat others with love and decency?
I believe only strict, zealots hold to the idea it can only be a christian god...there are many who believe it is NOT "which" god, but rather how we respond to the heart that matters.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
And as I responded on the other thread, do you see anything that indicates exclusivity? You are not looking for answers, you are looking for ways to fit answers into your narrative so you can demonstrate the smug superiority of your analysis.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:59 PM

17,110 posts, read 9,162,458 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe only strict, zealots hold to the idea it can only be a christian god...there are many who believe it is NOT "which" god, but rather how we respond to the heart that matters.

Right. In all my time posting here, I have never gotten the impression from nate that those of us who are not Christians are incapable of treating others with love and decency.

That being said, Mitchell did say: "And while this is generally impossible for us to do by ourselves, God can if we seek His help." Which might be taken to mean that those who do not believe in the existence of God find love and decency impossible.

I would only say this ... IF God IS love, as the Christian bible claims, then anyone who has a desire to treat others with love and decency IS seeking that God, whether they believe in God's existence or not.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Right. In all my time posting here, I have never gotten the impression from nate that those of us who are not Christians are incapable of treating others with love and decency.

That being said, Mitchell did say: "And while this is generally impossible for us to do by ourselves, God can if we seek His help." Which might be taken to mean that those who do not believe in the existence of God find love and decency impossible.

I would only say this ... IF God IS love, as the Christian bible claims, then anyone who has a desire to treat others with love and decency IS seeking that God, whether they believe in God's existence or not.
Thank you, Pleroo. I believe you have caught the point of what Mitchell was saying.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:07 PM

47,006 posts, read 29,886,339 times
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, Pleroo. I believe you have caught the point of what Mitchell was saying.
She is really good at that, nate!!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
And as I responded on the other thread, do you see anything that indicates exclusivity? You are not looking for answers, you are looking for ways to fit answers into your narrative so you can demonstrate the smug superiority of your analysis.
It seems quite obvious, after reading the entire post again, that the poster is referring to the Christian God, the only God belief that refers to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Also the poster mentions that the other religions that believe differently from this gospel are lies and cheats. I don't know that its so much me fitting answers as much as the quite obvious stringent beliefs of the poster, though I could be wrong.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 PM

34,991 posts, read 18,545,669 times
The message of Christ is not in any of the above posts.

The message of Christ is here.

John 3:14-17 - "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

1 John 5:11-12 - And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.

1 Peter 3:18 - For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit

Old 06-28-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Isn't this only relabeling love as being God? Mitchell seems to be saying that we must seek God's help to treat others lovingly and decent, as preemption to being able to do so, not as a result of doing so. Maybe Mitchell should clear this up for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or