Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think there are many like the Rev wright that the bible warns us about.It is too bad the Obama did not take a firmer stand on this pastor instead of saying I disagree. The least he could have done is call for wright to apoligize like so many for racist comments. That to me reflects a double standard.I was shocked also to see people in the church cheering him on.Person if I ever heard ths from nayone Iwould walkout and never come back.
Since the views of Senator Obama differ from those expressed by the pastor and he has stated this to the pastor, it may be that Obama may be able to have a positive effect on influencing the negative views of the pastor and some members of the congregation as he continues on the political scene. This may be another reason why he is staying in this congregation. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:57 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
After listening to the entire sermons in question, I can see how bad things where taken out of context.

I don't believe that J Wright should have used the type of language that he used to get the point across, however before we comment on something as serious as the acusations of J Wright being a racist, and saying that Obama should do this or that, we need to get the entire story.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
I think as Christians when we hear things like this it is important we don't react like the world with judgement and open hostility. Pastor Wright is a fellow Christian who has devoted his life to service of God and Country. He deserves our gratitude for both his military and community service contributions. This pastor is not the only controverisal pastor who has interjected his personal or political views into sermons. Many pastors use their pulpit to do this. John Hagee and Rod Parsely come to mind. Christians should not be surprised by it. The Bible says to owe no man anything except love. This is a debt that all Christians should be willing to pay. We don't have to agree with Pastor Wright in matters of politics and personal opinions. We just have to love him. "For by this (love that we have for one another) all men will know us ( as Christians)." Obama has publically disagreed with Pastor Wright and publically demonstrated the love of God for him too. U don't throw people away that u love and have a long history with because it is politically advantageous to do so. I think it shows strength of charater on Obama's part that he is wiling to take "the road less traveled" (especially by politicains) to do the right thing over the popular thing. Certainly Obama would get more public approval if he kicked his Pastor to the curb, but it appears Obama is a Christian- a practicing one at that. I'm impressed by anyone who will take a stand for Christianity. Americans cannot act as if we are perfect and above reproach. Our history is full of moments that were not our finest hours and the world was watching. We can't get mad because everyone does not "God bless America." There is injustice in America and sometimes we get as good as we give, but we are still the greatest country in the world.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 PM

67 posts, read 454,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
I'm a member of a UCC church.

It's my understanding that people of all races can and have joined Trinity and that it celebrates Black culture the way that a Catholic parish with a lot of Hispanics might celebrate Latin American culture.

However, I do think that it is a valid question to raise and I can understand people wanting to know more about Obama's church. I wish I lived in the greater Chicago area; Trinity's services are broadcast on television so I could see for myself.
I have seen it several times and at first I just thought it was me, misunderstanding since I am white. Then, when on one occasion, the pastor ranting, saying "God bless America.......NO! God DAMN America! I knew I was not misunderstanding anything. How we can be Christians and feel that way about anyone is beyond me.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 AM

250 posts, read 503,496 times
Mr. Wright is no more christian than Ward Churchill and other America-haters and should be called on the carpet by every Christian in America. He uses the Christian religion as a fig leaf to cover his own hatred and bigotry which is more than inapproprate, it is sacreligious.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 AM

250 posts, read 503,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think as Christians when we hear things like this it is important we don't react like the world with judgement and open hostility. Pastor Wright is a fellow Christian who has devoted his life to service of God and Country. He deserves our gratitude for both his military and community service contributions. This pastor is not the only controverisal pastor who has interjected his personal or political views into sermons. Many pastors use their pulpit to do this. John Hagee and Rod Parsely come to mind. Christians should not be surprised by it. The Bible says to owe no man anything except love. This is a debt that all Christians should be willing to pay. We don't have to agree with Pastor Wright in matters of politics and personal opinions. We just have to love him. "For by this (love that we have for one another) all men will know us ( as Christians)." Obama has publically disagreed with Pastor Wright and publically demonstrated the love of God for him too. U don't throw people away that u love and have a long history with because it is politically advantageous to do so. I think it shows strength of charater on Obama's part that he is wiling to take "the road less traveled" (especially by politicains) to do the right thing over the popular thing. Certainly Obama would get more public approval if he kicked his Pastor to the curb, but it appears Obama is a Christian- a practicing one at that. I'm impressed by anyone who will take a stand for Christianity. Americans cannot act as if we are perfect and above reproach. Our history is full of moments that were not our finest hours and the world was watching. We can't get mad because everyone does not "God bless America." There is injustice in America and sometimes we get as good as we give, but we are still the greatest country in the world.
This is nonsense. Do we think that just because America is not perfect gives him license to spread hatred and lies? And that is OK with Christians? Obama's long history with Rev. Wright is an indictment not a sign good judgement or friendship. If Obama chooses to sleep with dogs he will at least wake up with fleas. Rev. Wright is no different than many radical Islamic clerics who spread hatred and lies about America. Perhaps this explains why Obama has refused to put his hand over his heart in respect to the flag.

If Christians are politically neutralized by a sleepy state of inaction and non-judgementalism when the very foundations of the American republic are being shaken by hatred and bigotry, then all I can say is heaven help America!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
This is nonsense. Do we think that just because America is not perfect gives him license to spread hatred and lies? And that is OK with Christians? Obama's long history with Rev. Wright is an indictment not a sign good judgement or friendship. If Obama chooses to sleep with dogs he will at least wake up with fleas. Rev. Wright is no different than many radical Islamic clerics who spread hatred and lies about America. Perhaps this explains why Obama has refused to put his hand over his heart in respect to the flag.

If Christians are politically neutralized by a sleepy state of inaction and non-judgementalism when the very foundations of the American republic are being shaken by hatred and bigotry, then all I can say is heaven help America!
Where are you getting your information from. If you listen to the entire sermon that is in question. You would know that he said American has changed and will continue to change with time. Sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. Without turning this into a politcal mess I will try to stay away from taking it there. J Wright never said anything hateful towards white people. The end of that sermon he talk about love and living out the purpose that God has put us here for.

There has been death threats made T.D. Jakes speaks out on Jeremiah Wright - The Daily Voice - Black America's Daily News Source (http://thedailyvoice.com/voice/2008/03/td-jakes-000399.php - broken link) to J Wright. This is representation of what he is teaching. Not all white people uphold the stupid idea of white supremacy but too many will cover it up due to lack of understanding.

There are a few things that the bible tells us that God hates. One of those things is the hands that shed inocent blood. I don't care ones party affiliation. That can be discussed in the political forum. What I do care about is how people judge others harshly without looking at the entire picture.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Barack Obama’s friend and pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, said in a 2003 church publication, "In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call
after 9/11. White America and the Western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just 'disappeared,' as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring Black concerns."

Barack Obama's Very Controversial Pastor (broken link)
Forget about it!!
I wouldn't waste my eyeballs reading this guy's (did you say Pastor?)
Please, he's evil, or fallen.. He's in need of a Saviour, and Jesus will fit the bill
Thank the Lord that God exposes evrything to his people that are constantly praying for this nation and the leaders and those who are running for office.
Let's pray about this whole situation..

Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 AM

17 posts, read 60,221 times
"Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy."

The church where Sen. Barack Obama has worshipped for two decades publicly declares that its ministry is founded on a 1960s book that espouses "the destruction of the white enemy."

Trinity United Church of Christ's Web site says its teachings are based on the black liberation theology of James H. Cone and his 1969 book "Black Theology and Black Power."

"What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love," Mr. Cone wrote in the book.

Mr. Cone, a professor at the Union Theological Seminary in New York, added that "black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy."

Obama's church founded on radical creed*-*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper (http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080401/NATION/766118950/0/FRONTPAGE - broken link)

This isn't going away.

Why should it?

It speaks directly to the judgment and character of a man who spent 20+ years in this church.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:39 AM

692 posts, read 1,732,238 times
It saddens me that even on a Christian forum we have so many judgemental people. Most of you have only read snippets of what reverend Wright has said over 30 years of ministry. Yet the people who actually know him have not abandoned him.

Prophet and Pastor - ChronicleReview.com

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Pastor Of Clinton's Former Church: Don't Use Wright To Polarize - Politics on The Huffington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity