Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
It saddens me that even on a Christian forum we have so many judgemental people. Most of you have only read snippets of what reverend Wright has said over 30 years of ministry. Yet the people who actually know him have not abandoned him.

Prophet and Pastor - ChronicleReview.com

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Pastor Of Clinton's Former Church: Don't Use Wright To Polarize - Politics on The Huffington Post
Personally, I don't care what he said about 9/11. We are all entitled to our opinion.

However, we all are accountable for our words.

The Word talks about the tongue and perfect people. There are none of us that are.

30 years of ministry doesn't mean that he's always right. He's human.

When we're above admitting it when we're wrong... we're in trouble.

I have a problem with fact that Mr. Wright is a pastor of a Christian church who doesn't see a problem with putting Mr. Farrakhan, a Muslim, on the front of his church's magazine... describing him as a wonderful minister who's done much to empower the black community. A christian pastor (and prophet???) who doesn't see a problem with the fact that this man has led many young men and women into Islam? The title of the article about Farrakhan actually states that his ministry has been, in fact, EMPOWERING to the black community...????

Have you read the article?

It's anti everything we believe in. Islam worships Allah.

It's simply not o.k.

Are YOU a Christian?

Last edited by World Citizen; 04-03-2008 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Are YOU a Christian?
You need to be asking yourself that.

Have you been to J Wrights Church?

If you are having a problem with what is being said you need to go directly to the person for clarification. Not the evening news. Not a message board.

The bible tells us how to handle issues like this.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:33 PM

Default I've read the article...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You need to be asking yourself that.

Have you been to J Wrights Church?

If you are having a problem with what is being said you need to go directly to the person for clarification. Not the evening news. Not a message board.

The bible tells us how to handle issues like this.
I've personally seen and read the article. Not basing my opinion on anything but what I personally saw and read.

It's interesting that the article seems to have been removed from the church's website, though. The link is no longer working and I can't seem to find it anymore. Wonder why?

I might enjoy visiting his church. I'm sure there's some really nice people there.

That is not the point at hand.

God bless!

Last edited by World Citizen; 04-03-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
You know, if you're a Christian- you might have a hard time voting for this
guy.

He's being backed by Oprah now and she's hooked on Tolle. What's wrong with that? Nothing at all, so long as you're not a true Christian.

So what place does religion play in politics? None, I believe, so long as it doesn't lead to a Facious Theology-as Frank Zappa would say. This is the US of A. You are free to worship anyway that you see fit. Laws should be based on moral behavior, not moral theology-right?

A guy can have charisma, but at what cost? If you believe and stand for Something, and you believe that Something to be Truth then that's the best you can do. But keep in mind what Truth is; Conforming to fact or reality; being in accord with what is, has been, or must be; it is the opposite of false, wrong, error or lie. Truth is narrow and unchanging, regardless of history or culture.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:18 AM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
What if Oprah backed Hillary or John McCain? Would it be wrong for a Christian to vote for them just because of this? I think that politicians will be backed by people of various backgrounds but this doesn't mean that they hold to everything the supporter believes or supports. I don't agree with everything or even with much of what Oprah says but her endorsement of a candidate doesn't influence my vote. God bless.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 AM

Black churches in America have ALWAYS been used as political meeting places. Starting way back when... we all know the answer to that. If it were a white church that was so openly celebrating "whiteness" as a culture -- what would they be called?

I'm not a racist. Not against blacks in any way but having known and worked closely with black churches, I see and understand what is between the lines.

The Trumpet Magazine that was posted on the church's website (they had two issues) has been taken off the website and the link now leads to a different site - Turmpet Magazine.com. Interesting, also that the two issues have been replaced by a picture of a white person. (That makes you wonder what they see as the problem, i.e., black and white - nothing more!)

I happened to save a copy of the article before it was removed. In the article about Farrakhan, it states that he was given an award and honored by the Trumpet Magazine for his Muslim ministry - and how it empowered the black community.

To me, the fact that there is no real discussion about the real facts - only covering and denying the truth - also speaks volumes.

The white press and news media has not tried to harm Mr. Obama. That seems to be one of the arguments. In fact, he's been their darling from the beginning....

This election should not be about race. It should be about selecting the best person to govern our country. When we can't disagree with the candidate without the race card being played, then we really need to consider that we may not be ready for a black president.

BTW - I think Mr. Obama is an intelligent, charismatic man. But, is he honest enough about his true beliefs to be our president????

Last edited by World Citizen; 04-05-2008 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-05-2008, 08:39 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
well..IMHO, I think its time to quit playing the race card all together, especially Christians, I have a close personal friend who also happens to be a african american minister, and although we havent made a debate or issue about it, he has made comments that "the black community" this and that, maybe Im wrong but when cant we just be "a community" ya know, where we dont see color, there is no white this or black this..just a person. Tying a race or color to a organization or agenda imho spreads division, not bridges it.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
well..IMHO, I think its time to quit playing the race card all together, especially Christians, I have a close personal friend who also happens to be a african american minister, and although we havent made a debate or issue about it, he has made comments that "the black community" this and that, maybe Im wrong but when cant we just be "a community" ya know, where we dont see color, there is no white this or black this..just a person. Tying a race or color to a organization or agenda imho spreads division, not bridges it.
I agree totally with you. But the fact that that is what we would like doesn't change the way things are....

Looking back at the past blinds us to the future. We can become like Lot's Wife... who turned into a pillar of salt.

God bless everyone! I really do love you!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:29 AM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
Black churches in America have ALWAYS been used as political meeting places. Starting way back when... we all know the answer to that. If it were a white church that was so openly celebrating "whiteness" as a culture -- what would they be called?
Hi, I don't believe that racial hatred and intolerance should be preached in black congregations, but I believe that the situation is different in that celebrating the black culture has been a method of survival and of creating a healthy love and appreciation for being black. Celebration of black culture was and is an effort to say that "black is good" when a different perspective has been presented and promoted in the history of this country. The positive strides that have been made are in part due to the celebration of blackness in some of the black churches and in other elements of the community. The self hatred which has plagued the American black culture/mindset is the result of years of oppression, which is even felt or experienced today according to some research. The white experience has not been same as the black experience in this country in that years of oppression, discrimmination, hatred for a group of people and even self hatred as a result has had to be overcome and still has to be. There is still a lack of trust on the part of some even in the church. God bless.

Quote:
BTW - I think Mr. Obama is an intelligent, charismatic man. But, is he honest enough about his true beliefs to be our president????

Do we really know about the true beliefs of any of the candidates? They each have their faults but we have to choose one. In the case of Senator Obama, he has come out and said that he does not agree with the statements of Jeremiah Wright, but Obama has come from a background of varied beliefs. His mother was an athiest or agnostic from what I understand but he did not embrace her beliefs. He still loved his mother and did not abandon her for this. He has stated that he is a Christian and some of his beliefs may not coincide with some of our beliefs but this is the case with all Christians. We are not going to agree on each and everything in this life. It is obvious that he has a great respect for Jeremiah Wright and that this man has had a great influence in leading him to Christ, but he has stated that he does not agree with everything Jeremiah Wright states. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 04-05-2008 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 AM

67 posts, read 454,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
I'm a member of a UCC church.

It's my understanding that people of all races can and have joined Trinity and that it celebrates Black culture the way that a Catholic parish with a lot of Hispanics might celebrate Latin American culture.

However, I do think that it is a valid question to raise and I can understand people wanting to know more about Obama's church. I wish I lived in the greater Chicago area; Trinity's services are broadcast on television so I could see for myself.
I do live in the Chicago area and I do see his services (or at least I used to, until I decided that every service basically ran the same way: ranting against whites) I have no idea how we can preach a divisive gospel here and still plan on spending eternity together. Jesus asked how we can say we love Him whom we have not seen, and hate our brother whom we have seen. Perhaps the rev. Wright missed that section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity