U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:17 PM

5,556 posts, read 7,220,981 times

Advertisements

Something just seems utterly weird about the whole thing. Seems like some kind of warped extortion, doesn't it? God has a cauldron of eternal fire some place awaiting all those who do not worship and patronize him or accept his "gift" so it is best to have him save you from what he can do to you. If it is not the fear of that (as I know not all Christians believe in the eternal barbecue), then it is some other fear God has control over, so aren't saved folks feeling the need to be saved BY God FROM said God?

Please forgive me if I cannot wrap my mind around this one, but strip away all the religio-speak, isn't this what is going on?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 11:43 PM

4,220 posts, read 2,258,499 times
It is what it is.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:47 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,466,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Something just seems utterly weird about the whole thing. Seems like some kind of warped extortion, doesn't it? God has a cauldron of eternal fire some place awaiting all those who do not worship and patronize him or accept his "gift" so it is best to have him save you from what he can do to you. If it is not the fear of that (as I know not all Christians believe in the eternal barbecue), then it is some other fear God has control over, so aren't saved folks feeling the need to be saved BY God FROM said God?

Please forgive me if I cannot wrap my mind around this one, but strip away all the religio-speak, isn't this what is going on?
You raise a good point there!

As you say, there is something utterly weird about the whole thing.

Eternal barbecue!

Old 07-06-2016, 12:48 AM

595 posts, read 256,013 times
Quote:

That is pretty much what different Christians are divided about here. Some worship this god who is like a mafia godfather with a big protection racket going on, while others like myself see this as being a result of Christianity twisted into a tool of power. After all, doesn't it make sense that the god you worship is going to exemplify the things you value most? If it all about power then it is hardly surprising you worship a god of power rather than a God of Love. The other Christians here, see something quite different in the Bible and reject this nonsense to insist Christianity must be cleanse of such poison along with the blood sacrifices, misogyny, and slavery of the the ancient Israelites.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:47 AM

8,648 posts, read 7,834,334 times
God saves His children from His wrath .......Then the control of God , is a good thing , as it aligns His children into God lead in the spirit which they will receive His blessing , as people are more attuned to lead their own life through Independence , God can lead people through the spirit so they will be closer to God ....... See Heaven will be what Gods spirit says is ``bliss`` which is defined as reach perfect happiness , joy, pleasure, delight, ............ Where not going to heaven will not be bliss for sure

Old 07-06-2016, 07:22 AM

3,857 posts, read 2,558,379 times
Quote:

The "I'm Saved" doctrine is nothing more than Satanic blasphemous filth because it causes the believer to think that he or she is better than God. THEY decide that they are going to heaven, regardless of what God thinks.
They believe that even if they commit murder, rape, or some other heinous crime, they will STILL be going to Heaven.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:43 AM

34,797 posts, read 18,457,720 times
Quote:

Regarding the thread title - yes that's correct.

On a smaller scale - that's what parents do. When a parent gives an instruction and ends it with, "you better do this, or else" - the parent is trying to save the kid from, the parent.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:28 AM

18,025 posts, read 9,960,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
The "I'm Saved" doctrine is nothing more than Satanic blasphemous filth because it causes the believer to think that he or she is better than God. THEY decide that they are going to heaven, regardless of what God thinks.
They believe that even if they commit murder, rape, or some other heinous crime, they will STILL be going to Heaven.
Nonsense, as usual from this poster.

God has already decided. Man only accepts God's provision, or not. John 3:16. Anyone who says they're a Christian, but willfully sins, is probably not. 2 Cor. 5:17

Read your Bible, John.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:53 PM

17,966 posts, read 13,819,840 times
Quote:

But since "eternal fire" is a misunderstanding which God would never do to anyone anyway, God is not saving anyone from Himself but rather saving all mankind from sin and death.

But, yes, if eternal fire were true, then believing in God is a form of fire insurance. Loving that kind of God is a form of fire insurance. Worshiping that kind of God is a form of fire insurance.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM

17,966 posts, read 13,819,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
The above part is false.

The part below is correct.
Quote:
We are not saved due to anything we do or do not do. Heaven is not merit based. Salvation is purely an unearned gift from God. We cannot lose it due to any heinous crime we may do nor to we gain it by not doing any heinous crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or