Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 01:38 PM

595 posts, read 334,047 times

Advertisements

The science of physics looks at the universe in terms of the mathematical relationships between measurable quantities. Its success in not only predicting the behavior of many things but in discovering new things we never expected sends a rather clear message to us that much of what we see and hear conforms very well to this mathematical perspective.

However, if I couldn't set this aside and look outside this perspective then I wouldn't be here. I gave my conviction that this mathematical view could not be the sum total of reality as one of the principle reasons I believe in God and Christianity. My science background gives me good understanding of the objective nature of scientific methodology, but I only think it works precisely because we live in a system of mathematical rules. Thus I am forced conclude that any understanding and knowledge of reality outside the mathematical framework can only be found in a subjective apprehension of reality and my conviction translates into a believe that there is a irreducibly subjective aspect to reality.

However, that presents a tremendous difficulty when it comes to exploring this other aspect of reality, for without objective means of determination there is little reason for people to agree on anything and thus the views on the non-mathematical non-physical parts of reality will cannot escape considerable diversity of thought. This means such diversity must be embraced and the ideals of tolerance of freedom of thought in a free society should be defended.

However, does this mean all beliefs are equal and there are no means of judgment to be applied to any of them? No. There are three very good standards for judgment.
1. Logical coherence is required for a belief to be meaningful.
2. Consistency with the objective evidence is required for a belief to be reasonable.
3. Compatibility with the ideals of a free society is required for a belief to be moral and acceptable in the type of society I choose to live in.
Together these three form fairly objective criterion for general rationality. But it must be recognized immediately that these criterion are VERY far from determinative. They filter out the irrational but they do not determine the truth, for many contradictory beliefs will satisfy these criterion.

These criterion implicitly give the objective findings of science a superior epistemological status. Its objective methodology provides proof which means we have a reasonable expectation for people to agree with these findings at least. It means the scientific worldview provides a good starting point so that our explorations into the subjective is founded on some commonality as a basis for communication.

The result is that people who dismiss and denigrate the findings of science not only have no basis for any expectation for people to agree with their opinions but they also have little expectation that what say can even be communicated effectively to other people.

One of the more difficult aspects of the subjective nature of the non-physical is that without the objective methodology of science we are pretty much left with rhetoric as the only method. It is a methodology which we rely on heavily in the world with some faith that arguing things out can arrive at some degree of truth eventually most of the time. We rely on this heavily in our justice system. But even that only works well when we have a commitment to strive for as much objectivity as we can, including a great respect for scientific findings. Otherwise rhetoric can get very very far from the truth.

We should certainly be very suspicious of rhetoric which does not at respect science and its methods and this should not be confused with those who simply borrow its terminology to clothe itself in the pretense of being scientific. Such pseudo-science suggests outright deception and dishonesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 01:43 PM

689 posts, read 552,155 times
Basically, science works only inside a 3D space where we live. Science is almost completely futile about what lies outside our 3D space. So in the case that a truth outside our space needs to be conveyed, then what should be done?

Moreover, the 'scientific' approach you try hard to portrait here is never practical in reaching the fact that, say arbitrarily, what you yourself did a year ago on Jul 13, 2015. In a nutshell, you need to believe what some humans said with faith in order to reach such a fact.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM

23,311 posts, read 10,614,943 times
Math doesn't exist.

Numbers aren't real, lol.

Just something we made up.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 PM

9,705 posts, read 10,083,736 times
Rhetoric, reason . Arithmetic are part of the seven liberal arts which are dominated by the spirits of this world , where Jesus does not provide understanding of these arts for the majority of Christians but can give through Jesus gifts of Holy spirit as edge for people who has profession in the field for their employment ........Still if you ever witnessed the eternal light of Christ, or a Holy Angels of God , and then the flesh realm demon spirit , and the fallen angel devils in the natural presence of the physical plane then it would be a perplexing of the mathematical reality of the physical , as these spirit of the unseen world do exist , no matter what the senses which God gave man , and the common unbelief of the secular world may think ...... See Jesus does not like reason , as it is common to reason out His existence , and the dark spirits of the world will work against Jesus and His plans for man .................... Like Christianity is an art of the world which come through exercising faith and authority of the believer were the grace of God will be released for the purpose of Jesus , and people are set free into a peace with God and the eternal works of Jesus for His plan

Old 07-13-2016, 02:46 PM

23,311 posts, read 10,614,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Rhetoric, reason . Arithmetic are part of the seven liberal arts which are dominated by the spirits of this world , where Jesus does not provide understanding of these arts for the majority of Christians but can give through Jesus gifts of Holy spirit as edge for people who has profession in the field for their employment ........Still if you ever witnessed the eternal light of Christ, or a Holy Angels of God , and then the flesh realm demon spirit , and the fallen angel devils in the natural presence of the physical plane then it would be a perplexing of the mathematical reality of the physical , as these spirit of the unseen world do exist , no matter what the senses which God gave man , and the common unbelief of the secular world may think ...... See Jesus does not like reason , as it is common to reason out His existence , and the dark spirits of the world will work against Jesus and His plans for man .................... Like Christianity is an art of the world which come through exercising faith and authority of the believer were the grace of God will be released for the purpose of Jesus , and people are set free into a peace with God and the eternal works of Jesus for His plan

Math is to count by the whole number of 8 so that you get 3 words.

Looking at your post and the magical 24 words you have to deal with is this.

Every 8th word.
''Seven Spirits Provide.''

See how that works?

I never got that bad but pretty darn close until one day I decided that there will be no more numbers for Hannibal lest he count himself to death and never sleep again.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:51 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,983,941 times
"However, that presents a tremendous difficulty when it comes to exploring this other aspect of reality, for without objective means of determination there is little reason for people to agree on anything and thus the views on the non-mathematical non-physical parts of reality will cannot escape considerable diversity of thought. This means such diversity must be embraced and the ideals of tolerance of freedom of thought in a free society should be defended."

Excellent post. I hope it garners more appropriate responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity