Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 08:12 AM

1,799 posts, read 564,788 times

Advertisements

I thought I would post some informative videos for any creationists or theists who might be on the fence and wondering if their beliefs really make sense, and what the actual scientific truth is. I will add to these as I find good ones in more or less plain understandable English that doesn't get overly scientific.

We will start with my favorite guy, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, hereon out know as NGT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRx6...Rx6f8lv6qc&t=8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 08:17 AM

Bill Nye the Science Guy on the scientific problems with a worldwide flood and the actual construction of Noahs Ark

One comment. Nye makes the comment that while the ark supposedly came to rest on a mountain in Turkey, kangaroos have been found only in Australia. And no remains, bones, or fossils of kangaroos, or wallabies , or another other indigenous Aussie life, have been found anywhere between Turkey and Australia. None. Zero. Somehow all these weird Aussie animals marched from Turkey to Australia, and none died along the way. This ought to make people wonder. Hopefully one or two actually think about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Oh...bIgKxk&index=5

Old 12-28-2021, 08:39 AM

NGT on 3 subjects. The first and last wont be of much interest to theists, being respectively the search for alien life and then the Earths rotation, but at 5:33 he gets into dark matter and how we know it exists even as we cant see it, and also how dark matter is a misnomer and the better term is dark gravity, because we can measure the gravity but we can't see what is causing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXOL...lv6qc&index=11

Old 12-28-2021, 08:52 AM

33,342 posts, read 26,564,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Bill Nye the Science Guy on the scientific problems with a worldwide flood and the actual construction of Noahs Ark

One comment. Nye makes the comment that while the ark supposedly came to rest on a mountain in Turkey, kangaroos have been found only in Australia. And no remains, bones, or fossils of kangaroos, or wallabies , or another other indigenous Aussie life, have been found anywhere between Turkey and Australia. None. Zero. Somehow all these weird Aussie animals marched from Turkey to Australia, and none died along the way. This ought to make people wonder. Hopefully one or two actually think about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Oh...bIgKxk&index=5
I've watched the entire debate with Ken Ham. Nye destroys Ham.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:54 AM

Crash Course lessons on evolution and why it actually isnt controversial in science, just among fundamental theists.

Crash Course, by the way, has great educational videos on just about everything, mostly a long series on each subject that progress from basic to a little more advanced as you build on previous videos. I think the astronomy one was 47 episodes long. History, biology, whatever you wish to learn up on, its here and is very entertaining, not at all boring lectures. Most of them 15-20 minutes long so not time consuming videos to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3GagfbA2vo

One comment from the video I found dead on, paraphrased because I am not going to watch it ten times to memorize it to get it exact.

There are 2 kinds of people in the world. Those that marvel at the beauty and complexity of evolution, and those that just dont understand it.

The home page of their YT channel for anyone interested in expanding their knowledge base. And who wouldn't want to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/c/crashcourse/featured

Last edited by NatesDude; 12-28-2021 at 09:04 AM..

Old 12-28-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I've watched the entire debate with Ken Ham. Nye destroys Ham.

Yep. Granted, that was never a fair contest. Ham has nothing in the way of intellect or scientific substantiation to offer. I think you or I could have done the same. But I am a big fan of Nye, no slight on him.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:49 AM

13,697 posts, read 8,021,297 times
Since we're posting videos, Hugh Owen of the Kolbe Center for the Study of Creation does a great job of explaining why Christianity and evolution are incompatible from a Catholic perspective.

Sacred Tradition & the Catholic Doctrine of Creation

Old 12-28-2021, 09:55 AM

Refutation of Evolution

Old 12-28-2021, 09:56 AM

How evolutionary ideology has done so much to destroy peoples' faith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEW5uScVAww

Old 12-28-2021, 10:06 AM

33,342 posts, read 26,564,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Since we're posting videos, Hugh Owen of the Kolbe Center for the Study of Creation does a great job of explaining why Christianity and evolution are incompatible from a Catholic perspective.

Sacred Tradition & the Catholic Doctrine of Creation
However, the Catholic church itself has no problem with evolution as seen here.
In October 1996, Pope John Paul II stated that "new knowledge has led to the recognition in the theory of evolution of more than a hypothesis" and restated from Humani Generis that "if the human body takes its origin from pre-existent living matter, the spiritual soul is immediately created by God." However, as John Paul II recognized in his Message to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, "In his Encyclical Humani generis [1950], my predecessor Pius XII had already stated that there was no opposition between evolution and the doctrine of the faith about man and his vocation, on condition that one did not lose sight of several indisputable points." Thus, as a practical matter, evolution had been taught in Catholic primary and secondary schools, not to mention universities, for decades before 1996. [Bolding mine]

Theistic Evolution and the Roman Catholic Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity