Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:23 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Another gospel....
The reformation didn't get compliments from Rome either
Quote:
All of these years Christianity has had it wrong. Only one group in history has it right - and they're here in mass on this board to get their message out...
"God forbid that I should limit the time of acquiring faith to the present life. In the depth of the Divine mercy there may be opportunity to win it in the future". (Martin Luther’s letter to Hanseu Von Rechenberg, 1522.)

Quote:
How lucky can you be?
I would prefer to call you - blessed
Quote:

2 Cor 11:4 (NKJV) For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted--you may well put up with it!
Right. The church has put up with the false eternal torturer God doctrine to long.
Quote:
Galatians 1:6 (NKJV) I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
And the 'different gospel' that the Galatians were embracing was the rejection of free grace, ie: going back under 'unprofitable' laws and ordinances which could not free them. Only a new man can free you.

blessings,
- Byron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Yes, pride like "I chose wisely and so I get eternal life. My humility and willingness to choose Jesus saved me".
Sorry . . . nope! My actions do not save me. Jesus does!

Jesus offered me a prize. In order to receive the prize, I have to run the race. To qualify for the race, I've got to believe in Jesus' name, confess my sins, repent, and have an obedient heart. During the race, I've got to maintain my eligibility, take up my cross, and follow the Leader. After the race, I've got to receive the prize.

Jesus instituted the race. He established the ground rules. He determines eligibility. He helps us maintain eligibility and encourages us during the race. He rewards the prizes after the race. Without Jesus, there would be no prize (salvation/eternal life).

Sadly, not everyone will run the race because they don't like the narrow path on which it's set. (People on that path are often called narrow-minded! ) It's more comfortable to meander the broad path that leads to destruction. After all, that's where their friends are. Even many people of The Book are on the wide path, so it must be safe. There's even a salve for itchy ears on that path, so it's much more comfortable. Race Smace!

Quote:
Religious pride can be the fleshliest of all.
Isn't that the truth! It's often people with religious pride that are telling the unsaved what their itchy ears want to hear rather than leading them to the narrow path and encouraging them to join the race.

Quote:
And deny the power of the cross to be sufficient to save all mankind
No denial here! The power of the cross IS sufficient to save all mankind. Unfortunately, not all mankind wants to be saved. (Something about a tedious race . . .)

Quote:
Let's not. But let's question the hell out of status quo religion, like Martin Luther did
There's nothing wrong with challenging the status quo. That's what the Protestant Reformation was all about! However, the leaders of the Reformation were directing people to God's Word rather than man's. Unfortunately, even the reformers had filled their heads with so many "traditions" that they couldn't agree on all aspects of theology. Martin Luther, IMO, didn't get everything right.

Last edited by Blueberry; 02-22-2008 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-22-2008, 08:51 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,912 times
Quote:
Originally quoted by ShanaBrown:

Quote:
]The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (1908) by Schaff-Herzog says in volume 12, on page 96, "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."
The number of schools in the early church that taught ultimate reconciliation is an embarrassment to many modern church historians. Therefore, they often do whatever they can to hide these facts.

St. Basil the Great (c. 329-379) in his De Asceticis wrote: "The mass of men (Christians) say that there is to be an end of punishment to those who are punished." I point out that he is not classified as a Universalist.

Christian universalism--Ultimate Reconcilation: The True "Good News" Gospel of the Bible

[emphasis added]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Most of the Jewish people in the day did not have it right. Majority does not make something right, Amen?

[emphasis added]
Seems like you've answered your own post!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Another gospel....

All of these years Christianity has had it wrong. Only one group in history has it right - and they're here in mass on this board to get their message out...

How lucky can you be?

2 Cor 11:4
Galatians 1:6
Well that's not true...the CU's here believe what the Jehovah Witnesses do about hell too.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:51 PM

336 posts, read 844,543 times
If you mean there isn't a Hell,Seventh Day Adventist
believe the same.(In fact, JW founder was a member
of the Adventist Church before beginning the JW.The teaching:
A loving God would not put people into Hell.)

Old 02-22-2008, 02:53 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Quote:
]The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (1908) by Schaff-Herzog says in volume 12, on page 96, "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."
The number of schools in the early church that taught ultimate reconciliation is an embarrassment to many modern church historians. Therefore, they often do whatever they can to hide these facts.

St. Basil the Great (c. 329-379) in his De Asceticis wrote: "The mass of men (Christians) say that there is to be an end of punishment to those who are punished." I point out that he is not classified as a Universalist.

Christian universalism--Ultimate Reconcilation: The True "Good News" Gospel of the Bible

[emphasis added]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown
Most of the Jewish people in the day did not have it right. Majority does not make something right, Amen?

[emphasis added] [/quote]

Blueberry:

Quote:
Seems like you've answered your own post!

Shana:

Hi J, this post was written in response to this:

Quote:

How lucky can you be?

And this is how it was worded:

but to share anyway:

Quote:
]The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (1908) by Schaff-Herzog says in volume 12, on page 96, "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."The number of schools in the early church that taught ultimate reconciliation is an embarrassment to many modern church historians. Therefore, they often do whatever they can to hide these facts.St. Basil the Great (c. 329-379) in his De Asceticis wrote: "The mass of men (Christians) say that there is to be an end of punishment to those who are punished." I point out that he is not classified as a Universalist.

I realize that majority does not make something right and this is why I shared my first statement with World Citizen, but to show that many in the early days of the church believed in the termination of eternal punishment and in the eventual restoration of all, I shared further information. Many believe that the belief in the eventual restoration of all is some new belief or new age teaching, which it isn’t and it has been believed by Christians down through time. J God bless.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well that's not true...the CU's here believe what the Jehovah Witnesses do about hell too.
What do the Jehovah Witnesses believe about hell? Do they believe in the eventual restoration of all? God bless.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Quote:
If you study the early church, it becomes apparent that apostacy began to develop almost from the beginning. The people that lived in that time are no different than they are today, and the "narrow way" is one that is chosen by a few.. so to say that only one out of the six taught the truth would not be hard to believe.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
questioning is bad
clarification is good.
otherwise you got guys like me jumping off bridges
without a bungie cord.
or poor isaac and abraham

Old 02-22-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
If you study the early church, it becomes apparent that apostacy began to develop almost from the beginning. The people that lived in that time are no different than they are today, and the "narrow way" is one that is chosen by a few.. so to say that only one out of the six taught the truth would not be hard to believe.
Hi Cg, I did not share that only one of the six shared the truth Please read again. As I shared, I share this to show that the belief in the eventual restoration of all is not some new age teaching or a new teaching. Christians have believed in the eventual restoration of God since the days of the early church, so it is not such an outrageous belief as many would like to make it out to be. I don't know how many people have said to me that they have never heard of it. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-22-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity