Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,998,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it is not, and it is also not what the people he mentions believe. It is a shame some people make a hobby out of misrepresenting the beliefs of others.

The answer to the question (why the men were not allowed in) is repeated over and over and over in the Bible.

The New Testament repeats some 200 times we are saved through faith.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life"

"When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit"

"Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire"

"Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death"

"They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might"
All true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 08:43 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,640,803 times
obviously to indicate that they were hypocrites; not to distance them from some group who said they were Christians. Unless you can think of a group of people who go around claiming miracles and exorcisms and Christ's Name that would not be considered "Christians."

Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Answer the question.
I'm sorry, I thought that you had enough intelligence to see that this IS an answer. Let me make it plainer to you. Clearly those people who professed Christ (Lord, Lord) were not operating in love and therefore not "known" to Him. A profession of Christ without the commitment to living in the Way He taught has NO merit, it is like the seed sown on rocky ground. Reread THAT parable.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:10 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,338,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Jesus told us that He was giving us a "New Commandment," to love one another...,and that love fulfilled the Law. What would you call it if those people operated without love?
Because they were not abiding in the love of God. Faith does not only WORK within the Ranks of Christianity.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
why did jesus say to those who told him what they were doing in his name say they were practicing lawlessness?
Knowing what I know about your beliefs shared on here, I am certain you practice lawlessness too. Anything not rooted in love is lawlessness. The whole law is fulfilled by love and faith expressed in love is what God recognizes, not for a free ticket to heaven like you lot believe, but for building ourselves and the recipient of that love up.

I do not care what you, Finn, Hamfan and Vizio say, you are work orientated, as in you believe you have to DO something to be saved by the false gospel you believe in.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:18 AM

Omega, you have had your questions answered even the ones you didn't ask me. Now could you kindly tell me why Jesus told those who DID perform miracles, cast out demons and prophesied were told by him I never knew you ?.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'm sorry, I thought that you had enough intelligence to see that this IS an answer. Let me make it plainer to you. Clearly those people who professed Christ (Lord, Lord) were not operating in love and therefore not "known" to Him. A profession of Christ without the commitment to living in the Way He taught has NO merit, it is like the seed sown on rocky ground. Reread THAT parable.
The problem is, he like Finn Jarber only want to hear what they want to hear. They are living proof that you cannot reason with a bible fundamentalist.

Works is a dirty word to them, that unsettles them because their faith is based on a belief system that somehow excuses them from growing in Christ by being rooted and established in love so that we grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, (i'm once saved always saved now and as long as i desired to be good that is acceptable to God). They don't want to hear anything that conflicts with their belief system that needs protecting at all costs by them,because regardless of what is being told them, because they then would have to make a choice, a choice that is painful, especially when something that you have believed a life time is now being exposed for what it is. It is exactly what Jesus meant when he said men loved darkness(in the case of the fundy, the darkness of their beliefs). Paul gladly said he counted all things to be dung to gain the excellency of knowing the bible, sorry i meant Christ.

It's rather telling how they demand answers but never answer questions themselves, they disappear for a few pages and then claim they have answered questions and in a very unchrist like manner refuse to assist you in where they claim they answered you. The pharisees did the same thing, continually questioned Jesus, but disappeared when Jesus turned and asked them questions.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:56 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
All true.
Important things are repeated often in the bible, and nothing is repeated more than salvation by faith.

Talking about agape love etc is nice, but it ends up being the legalistic way, and hypocritical if you talk about it, but can't walk it. Also, some people try too hard to appear "agape loving", and end up approving the wrong things. Will Jesus open the door to people who say "Lord, Lord, we promoted gay marriage and abortion IN YOUR NAME". I will let Jesus decide, but I have my doubts.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:07 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,640,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The problem is, he like Finn Jarber only want to hear what they want to hear. They are living proof that you cannot reason with a bible fundamentalist.

Works is a dirty word to them, that unsettles them because their faith is based on a belief system that somehow excuses them from growing in Christ by being rooted and established in love so that we grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, (i'm once saved always saved now and as long as i desired to be good that is acceptable to God). They don't want to hear anything that conflicts with their belief system that needs protecting at all costs by them,because regardless of what is being told them, because they then would have to make a choice, a choice that is painful, especially when something that you have believed a life time is now being exposed for what it is. It is exactly what Jesus meant when he said men loved darkness(in the case of the fundy, the darkness of their beliefs). Paul gladly said he counted all things to be dung to gain the excellency of knowing the bible, sorry i meant Christ.

It's rather telling how they demand answers but never answer questions themselves, they disappear for a few pages and then claim they have answered questions and in a very unchrist like manner refuse to assist you in where they claim they answered you. The pharisees did the same thing, continually questioned Jesus, but disappeared when Jesus turned and asked them questions.
ya, seems harsh, but hard to deny. Unfortunately, it seems that this can only be read by someone who has come out the other side, and can only be understood as condemnation to a fundie. I have come to see the conversation as one of attempting to convince a plantation owner that slavery is immoral; what is the point?

Old 09-23-2016, 02:01 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,998,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Omega, you have had your questions answered even the ones you didn't ask me. Now could you kindly tell me why Jesus told those who DID perform miracles, cast out demons and prophesied were told by him I never knew you ?.
Give me the post number where you answered that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity