Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 12:06 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times

Advertisements

Titled The Story of the Family, here is a review:

https://theimaginativeconservative.o...-chalberg.html

Quote:
“Without the family we are helpless before the state.” No single line better captures G. K. Chesterton on the importance of the family, vis a vis the state, than that. Of course, the family is important for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with the state—and everything to do with the fact that the family truly is the “only state that creates and loves its own citizens.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 05:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I absolutely adore GK Chesterton! Thank you for the review.

I recently read "What's Wrong With The World?" which was written from the perspective of an Englishman 100 years ago - and by golly it still rings very true.

Old 06-12-2022, 04:09 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Another liberal clown show idea that the family should be abolished, is it is a hopeless world, there is no God, the world is coming to an end so why bother to have any children .................... See the devil is busy manipulation though the liberal spirit of the world ....... The liberal spirit curse is a fallen angel which has seven heads, ten horns and ten crowns who reject and blasphemes the ten commandments that God gave Moses and rules over the seven carnal sins ......... These may be very hard words to read or hear, but these liberal spirits are unseen spirits which are a real threat...... God created the family and is a good idea, and these liberal spirits do not come through the Holy Spirit of Christ

Old 06-12-2022, 01:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Another liberal clown show idea that the family should be abolished, is it is a hopeless world, there is no God, the world is coming to an end so why bother to have any children .................... See the devil is busy manipulation though the liberal spirit of the world ....... The liberal spirit curse is a fallen angel which has seven heads, ten horns and ten crowns who reject and blasphemes the ten commandments that God gave Moses and rules over the seven carnal sins ......... These may be very hard words to read or hear, but these liberal spirits are unseen spirits which are a real threat...... God created the family and is a good idea, and these liberal spirits do not come through the Holy Spirit of Christ
What are you going on about? Are you familiar with GK Chesterton?

Old 06-12-2022, 01:39 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That is his standard post to most threads lol

Old 06-12-2022, 02:02 PM

553 posts, read 171,975 times
“The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Old 06-12-2022, 02:03 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
I think you are reading hljc wrong - the first sentence is correctly summing up todays mainstream society -

Old 06-12-2022, 02:14 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
I absolutely adore GK Chesterton! Thank you for the review.

I recently read "What's Wrong With The World?" which was written from the perspective of an Englishman 100 years ago - and by golly it still rings very true.
I just ordered "The Eternal Man" by him. It was only 60 cents on Amazon, lol. Glad people like him; I was a bit hesitant since it was so long ago.

I'm always up for book suggestions, so will see if the library has the one you just read.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:15 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsmaine View Post
“The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people.”
― G.K. Chesterton
Great quote. Sounds like Mark Twain's nuggets of common-sense wisdom.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:25 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
I think you are reading hljc wrong - the first sentence is correctly summing up today’s mainstream society -
It is

I believe it is about the imbalance between the society and the individual, and the many cultures- the western influence has dominated whereas what was meant to happen was a co-operation, there was a dominion and submission that happened and later there is a judgement to balance things between the inner/outer, eastern/western, upper/lower, etc

When we put too much emphasis on getting ‘things’ instead of being and relationships we get out of balance and then we want more, and more, and still are not satisfied with what we have

We get ‘selfish’

“There are two ways to get enough. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.”
― G.K. Chesterton

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.”
― G.K. Chesterton, What's Wrong with the World

Last edited by Meerkat2; 06-12-2022 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity