Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:46 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
Any time a person points to another person and says that your sins are greater than theirs I just laugh.
I agree. So help me out here...when has Dobson said that "his sin is less than those gay people"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM

98 posts, read 273,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Because it gives special rights to people who are already protected under current laws. Assualt is assualt, crime is crime. Ones motivation for punching another in the face has no bearing on the fact that it's illegal and punishable by law. Why do you think lady liberty holding the scales is blindfolded? It has nothing to do with "sexual orientation".

It also opens pandora's box to "hate crimes" with very subjective things like "percieved".

They are already jailing ministers in Europe and Canada for preaching their convictions because of "percieved hate". How far down that road do you want to go?
This I agree with too. Whether I assault you because of a specific reason doesn't matter, I assaulted you period...LOCK'EM up! Don't care why you did it, you did it thats ALL that matters. But I do understand the other side of the argument. Just don't agree with a single offense being possible to need that "extra" consequences added on. Now if someone went on a killing spree, like the Nazi's did, or a serial killer, and killed alot of people for say being Gay, then yes I think history, and the law, should reflect that motivation

Old 02-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I agree. So help me out here...when has Dobson said that "his sin is less than those gay people"?
Never mentioned him...I was actually thinking of the Church that goes to Soldiers Funerals and says they died because GOD HATES ****. Also anyone else who would try to seperate people based on their "class" of sin. I personally have never listened to Dobson, so I can't say either way, GOOD or BAD. Yes, I know you 2 were specifically talking about him, I wasn't.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-23-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-22-2008, 02:06 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Never mentioned him...I was actually thinking of the Church that goes to Soldiers Funerals and says they died because GOD HATES ****. Also anyone else who would try to seperate people based on their "class" of sin. I personally have never listened to Dobson, so I can't say either way, GOOD or BAD. Yes, I know you 2 were specifically talking about him, I wasn't.
I agree with you there for sure...Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:55 PM

O.K I'll try to get this thread back on track. The question was who on T.V. would you listen to, or recommend, and why?

Billy Graham-Good guy focuses on the mercy and love of God and gives inspiration to others...no judging of others.

Les Feldick-Good part-time rancher, part-time preacher, who focuses on a show that is more of a bible study class than a hellfire hour.

Joel Osteen-Good-Seems to be about empowerment, and the love, of God in everyones life. And doesn't offer some trinket for you to send money...well maybe just tries to sell his book.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Quote:
O.K I'll try to get this thread back on track. The question was who on T.V. would you listen to, or recommend, and why?

Billy Graham-Good guy focuses on the mercy and love of God and gives inspiration to others...no judging of others.

Les Feldick-Good part-time rancher, part-time preacher, who focuses on a show that is more of a bible study class than a hellfire hour.

Joel Osteen-Good-Seems to be about empowerment, and the love, of God in everyones life. And doesn't offer some trinket for you to send money...well maybe just tries to sell his book.
Dumb question but is Joel Osteen the guy that wants you to be rich. I'm honestly asking.. thats what sticks in my mind about him..

Old 02-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Dumb question but is Joel Osteen the guy that wants you to be rich. I'm honestly asking.. thats what sticks in my mind about him..
Yeah he preaches the prosperity gospel, but I didn't recommend him because of that. I just like the fact that he focuses alot on the fact of GOD's love for everyone. He doesn't spend his time telling you how "bad" your are, or have been. I should also say that I've seen him on T.V. 2 times in the last 6 months.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:53 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Moderator cut: Good morning folks. This thread was closed temporarily due to it's having veered waaaaay off course. The OP is asking specifically about T.V. ministry, NOT a debate about anything else.

Out of respect for the member who started this thread, I am willing to re-open it. However:

If, (and only if) this thread can resume back on topic, it will remain open. If, however, it deteriorates back to off topic issues and debates, it will be closed, and infractions shall be issued.

Thanks
-June

Old 02-23-2008, 08:09 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times
Although there are a few bible preaching ministers on television that I enjoy: Charles Stanley, Michael Youssef, James Kennedy, Chuck Smith and others, our main souce of spiritual nourishment as followers of Christ is the Word of God, the spirit, and fellowship in a local church where there is real community, love for the brethren, and prayer for one another to pursue a walk with the Lord. Unfortunately, many churches today don't follow these guidelines and, hence the rise of tv pastors.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:30 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,717 times
anyone who is going to teach the cross and taking it up and sin and repentence, not tiptoing through the tulips type messges" and definitely the worn out prosperity, get rich claim it anything your heart's desire without teaching genuine repentance. The church has seemed to start to go to sleep.
I'm one with John Hagee and Bishop Jakes
Jesus in Matthew teaches the disciples how uncomfortable you must be willing to be to follow him. persecuted and tried, and not fainting.
I hope I haven't started something with any of my beloved brothers and sisters in the faith. (besides I haven't seen you all in awhile and miss you)
This is just IMO
Love You All
God Bless You
p.s. and hope to see you sooner than later on citydata, on a regular basis
Hey Blueberry))))))))))) and Alpha)))))))) and all of you ( of course I can't name everyone..(smile)
miss you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity