Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times

Advertisements

I think you can rely on the TV evangelists that don't try to pick your pockets, wait, that sort of cuts them all out doesn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 AM

98 posts, read 273,061 times
As more people post there are people that I have never heard of. I guess the only ones I have heard of are the ones that have name recognition. I guess it would be easier to get an idea about their message if we had a LINK, or CHANNEL and AIR TIME, or some other way of seeing them in action. I know alot of people say that they would never listen to these kinds of people, but I have always tried to get every view on a subject. I never know if the piece of info I really need can come from someone I wouldn't want to listen to. Just because I'll listen to what they have to say, once, doesn't mean I'll follow it.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think you can rely on the TV evangelists that don't try to pick your pockets, wait, that sort of cuts them all out doesn't it.
I know what you mean, I expect someday they will start selling T.V.s with credit card swipers buit on the side!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:38 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
What do you consider "pocket picking"?

Everyone I personally listen to simply mentions "If this message has helped you, would you please consider a gift to the ministry to help keep it going? Thank you."

That's about it. I hardly call that pocket picking.

Now the Creflo Dollar's of the world...well the guy changed his last name to "dollar". If that aint reason enough, you deserve an empty wallet.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
What do you consider "pocket picking"?

Everyone I personally listen to simply mentions "If this message has helped you, would you please consider a gift to the ministry to help keep it going? Thank you."

That's about it. I hardly call that pocket picking.

Now the Creflo Dollar's of the world...well the guy changed his last name to "dollar". If that aint reason enough, you deserve an empty wallet.
I can't imagine how you could give any credibility to any of them after the scandals that have gone on.

Christian evangelist scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems like that particular medium is RIFE with corruption.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
I know what you mean, I expect someday they will start selling T.V.s with credit card swipers buit on the side!
Its sad to see how many people are talked out of their hard earned money in the name of TV evangelism.

I can't get the picture of Swaggert (I think it was him) crying like a baby saying he had sinned and so forth, crocodile tears from someone who had been caught, no doubt his sordid behavior would have continued had he NOT been caught. Its amazing how he heard the lord so clearly on so many other things but didn't happen to hear the lord shouting at him to keep it in his pants.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Swaggert definitely remember that. Creflow Dollar is another that I think is just in it for the money. Did anyone see him on Larry King. They showed his house complete with live in CHEF...Not to mention the $100,000 BMW he pulled into the garage in!!! Jeez some of them don't even try to hide it!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:15 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
I can't imagine how you could give any credibility to any of them after the scandals that have gone on.

Christian evangelist scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems like that particular medium is RIFE with corruption.
ASSUMING those "facts" are correct, 16 with unknown degrees of "scandal" out of thousands of preachers over a span of 88 years is "RIFE"? I don't think that's a bad record IMO.

But I'll say it again:

"Everyone I personally listen to simply mentions 'If this message has helped you, would you please consider a gift to the ministry to help keep it going? Thank you.'

That's about it. I hardly call that pocket picking."

Besides, I don't give with the intent of getting back from them or really give to them personally. I'm giving either way so once it's out of my hands, I really don't care my "job" is done...God can deal with it. In the end, they will have to give an account to God, not me.

To each his own I guess.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,180 times
There isn't anyone really good on TV or radio for that matter.
I watched Jim and Tammy Fae many years ago when the PTL club started.
I've watched Joel Osteen several times.
I've seen and heard many James Dobson films and radio shows.
I concur with many who criticized these individuals.
Billy Graham would have gotten my vote, but it's a shame, he's on his way out.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,614,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
Yes John Hagee scares me to death, and I really don't scare that easily!
John Hagee = great teacher (if you like hell fire) not so good personal life.
- byron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity