Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 PM

98 posts, read 273,097 times

Advertisements

You know that on T.V. there are lots of people who have "Ministries". They range from $50 million cable ministries to low budget public access t.v. The question is: Would you give any of them your seal of approval? Is there one that you believe follows the Gospel, not the Money? In short which if any would you watch, and follow?

I will start this off. I would say that there are 2 that I could watch if I was forced to choose, Les Feldick and Joel Olsteen. These being the only 2 I would even consider watching. Not that I do but some people do, and enough to keep them going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:19 PM

522 posts, read 963,051 times
Stick to the low budget Bible based ministers, I found out alot of the others have been politicized to a fracture, watch it. John Hagee is good.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
I will start this off. I would say that there are 2 that I could watch if I was forced to choose, Les Feldick and Joel Olsteen. These being the only 2 I would even consider watching. Not that I do but some people do, and enough to keep them going.
Joel Olsteen is OK, I do not know Les Feldick. John Haggee IMO is an (_____) his son is a clone and IMO is not led by anyone else but his father.

Better to study the bible yourself and get 1st hand revelation.

Blessings

Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
You know that on T.V. there are lots of people who have "Ministries". They range from $50 million cable ministries to low budget public access t.v. The question is: Would you give any of them your seal of approval? Is there one that you believe follows the Gospel, not the Money? In short which if any would you watch, and follow?

I very seldom watch TV ministries...so little so that I honestly can't recommend one over another. I know some of them have fallen to greed and corruption from time to time...big money will often do that. But, others do well.
I can see certain situations where they would be good for a person. Take, for example, some poor old person confined to a nursing home, barely struggling through their day in a hospital-type bed. There is simply no way they are going to bounce up out of bed, get dressed, and walk into your church Sunday morning...ain't gonna happen...short of some outright miracle. How then, are they to get any spiritual help and encouragement? True, some pastors do visit such homes, preach in the "commons" room, and go around visiting those who are worse off...but not often enough. Well...that TV set is usually within reach in every room...and there ARE some quite good preachers and ministers on there. And there is some wonderful gospel singing. If it was me in that situation...I'd be watching...

Bud

Old 02-22-2008, 06:26 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,300 times
None. Just learn from the best--the Holy Spirit Any "TV Minister" is only on TV to get money or fame. Because just getting on costs a lot so their in debt right from the beginning.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen570 View Post
Stick to the low budget Bible based ministers, I found out alot of the others have been politicized to a fracture, watch it. John Hagee is good.
Yes John Hagee scares me to death, and I really don't scare that easily!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 AM

14,964 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
Quote:
Quote:
If there really is a God who created the entire universe with all of its glories, and He decides to deliver a message to humanity, He will not use, as His messenger, a person on cable TV with a bad hairstyle.
Wow...

instead God used a poor Jewish carpenter who was thought to be born illegitimately, from a family tree that included murderers, prostitutes, and lord knows what else! but they probably had good hair.... used a stinky ole fisherman with a bad attitude, a murderer of the very people he loved, a doubter, a blubbering crying softy, a thieving tax collector... need I say more?

and your first comment... your assignmet is to write that a 1000x and go sit in the corner.
or read James

1:19 Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters! Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger. 1:20 For human anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness. 1:21 So put away all filth and evil excess and humbly welcome the message implanted within you, which is able to save your souls. 1:22 But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourselves. 1:23 For if someone merely listens to the message and does not live it out, he is like someone who gazes at his own face in a mirror. 1:24 For he gazes at himself and then goes out and immediately forgets what sort of person he was. (emphasis mine) 1:25 But the one who peers into the perfect law of liberty and fixes his attention there, and does not become a forgetful listener but one who lives it out – he will be blessed in what he does. 1:26 If someone thinks he is religious yet does not bridle his tongue, and so deceives his heart, his religion is futile.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I very seldom watch TV ministries...so little so that I honestly can't recommend one over another. I know some of them have fallen to greed and corruption from time to time...big money will often do that. But, others do well.
I can see certain situations where they would be good for a person. Take, for example, some poor old person confined to a nursing home, barely struggling through their day in a hospital-type bed. There is simply no way they are going to bounce up out of bed, get dressed, and walk into your church Sunday morning...ain't gonna happen...short of some outright miracle. How then, are they to get any spiritual help and encouragement? True, some pastors do visit such homes, preach in the "commons" room, and go around visiting those who are worse off...but not often enough. Well...that TV set is usually within reach in every room...and there ARE some quite good preachers and ministers on there. And there is some wonderful gospel singing. If it was me in that situation...I'd be watching...

Bud
This I agree with to how else are they gonna keep thier spirits up if nobody helps, but asking them to give you money for the visit...ARGHHH!

Quote:
That's who Les Feldick is. Saw him once on Saturday while I was waiting for This Old House to come on, some years ago. I grew up in Tulsa and of course Oral Roberts was there. He used to heal people so my Great Uncle who worked at the childrens hospital wrote him. He said if you really can heal people come down to the hospital and heal these children. He got a letter back saying that he was told it was GOD'S WILL that the children suffer and that it was out of his hand...what a fricken TOOL!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,143 times
I don't solidly support any tv ministry. As stated, most of them are just out for the money. However, if any one of those ministries has touched and reached someone for Christ their mission has been accomplished and cannot be all bad.

Most of the people that flip through the stations and happen upon a message that "speaks to them" at that given point and are "saved" or persuaded as a result, don't normally go chasing after that specific ministry. Instead, they usually end up finding a local church to attend and build their Christian walk with their church...not the tv evangelist.

Last edited by kawgpz550; 02-22-2008 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
James Kennedy, Myles Monroe and Dr Carl Baugh (Creation Science) are about the only three I still have the DVR set too. Other than that, it's pot luck.

On the iPod (Podcast):

Focus On The Family
Charles Swindoll
R.C. Sproul
Dr William Lane Craig
Wallbuilders (.com)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity