Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 08:04 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Wow that is a pretty shocking statement which I didn't expect from you, if you do not think the blood of Jesus Christ - His Sacrifice - is your salvation, then you must ask yourself whether you are saved at all.

Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

The words that will justify you are simply: "God be merciful to me, a sinner and cleanse me in the blood of Your Son Jesus Christ" (I added the latter part of that sentence because the publican in the parable didn't know Christ yet)

Luke 18v13-14 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

If you dont think you need atonement, think again..

Leviticus 16v15-22 Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat: And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness. And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy place, until he come out, and have made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel. And he shall go out unto the altar that is before the LORD, and make an atonement for it; and shall take of the blood of the bullock, and of the blood of the goat, and put it upon the horns of the altar round about. And he shall sprinkle of the blood upon it with his finger seven times, and cleanse it, and hallow it from the uncleanness of the children of Israel.
And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat: And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness: And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

The goat on the day of atonement points ahead to the ultimate Sacrifice, that of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Leviticus 17v11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

You see you really need a blood sacrifice to make atonement for your soul, that Sacrifice is now made once and for all by Jesus Christ, and by faith it becomes applied as an eternal covering for our souls.
Not that kind of blood. It is the blood of God that saves.

"Man does not live by blood alone but by every word from the mouth of God."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 08:24 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post

I think you need to read that verse again, everyone can make a mistake but you are definitely putting meaning into the Scriptures that isn't there. The verse says that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Even if it isn't a mistake, you can't just go and take a verse, put in a word that suits you and pass it off as Biblical..

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

And what is that word that proceeds from the mouth of God? That is the Bible ofcourse, which tells us that without the shedding of blood there is no justification before the Lord, no remission of sin and no eternal life is possible without a blood Sacrifice - Thé Sacrifice, the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ - to cover our sin.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:19 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,759 times
ya, that is a difficult concept to grasp in the context of "God is love" though. We naturally expect that either one or the other can only be true.

the "bread" thing might be a false conflation with

I am the bread of the life;

perhaps?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:21 AM

425 posts, read 276,433 times
-
Quote:
Thé Sacrifice, the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ - to cover our sin.
Sins that are merely covered are still there, on the books, hanging over one's head like a sword of Damocles. Better to have sins stricken from the record than covered. But even better yet; have no sins on the books to begin with.

2Cor 5:19 . . God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them

The Greek word in that passage for "imputing" is logizomai (log-id'-zom-ahee) which means to keep an inventory; in other words: an indictment.

At the great white throne event depicted at Rev 20:11-15, the dead's personnel files will be opened. Well, were one of Christ's believing followers to appear before God at that event, their file would contain not one single sin: zero; viz: nothing with which to charge them.

Rom 4:8 . . Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him.

John 5:24 . . I assure you: those who listen to my message, and believe in God who sent me, have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.

/

Old 10-12-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyawehNyoh View Post
-

Sins that are merely covered are still there, on the books, hanging over one's head like a sword of Damocles. Better to have sins stricken from the record than covered. But even better yet; have no sins on the books to begin with.

2Cor 5:19 . . God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them

The Greek word in that passage for "imputing" is logizomai (log-id'-zom-ahee) which means to keep an inventory; in other words: an indictment.

At the great white throne event depicted at Rev 20:11-15, the dead's personnel files will be opened. Well, were one of Christ's believing followers to appear before God at that event, their file would contain not one single sin: zero; viz: nothing with which to charge them.

Rom 4:8 . . Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him.

John 5:24 . . I assure you: those who listen to my message, and believe in God who sent me, have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.

/
hmm. could you expound on this a bit more? you posit 3 states at the top, and kind of only delineate 2, etc. interesting, though.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,295 times
Quote:
-
/
How many people do you reckon have no sins on the books to begin with? You don't believe in original sin or total depravity?

And why do you think the Lord said:

Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

When the Lord has covered our sins, they are truly gone - He bears no record of them. Unlike our human way of forgiving but often not forgetting, when the Lord covers our sins they are truly gone - because Jesus Christ truly suffered His wrath for them.

I don't really see what kind of distinction you are trying to make here.. is the covering of the Blood of the Son of God not enough to blot out our sins and write our names in the Book of Life you think? I know it is for God - anything else you want to add to that becomes a works righteousness one way or the other.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:15 AM

425 posts, read 276,433 times
Quote:
When the Lord has covered our sins, they are truly gone . . . when the Lord covers our sins they are truly gone?
Cover and blot are not synonymous. The former conceals sins; the latter deletes them. In other words: when sins are concealed, they are put on hold; viz: reprieved. But a reprieve is only a temporary delay. Sooner of later those reprieved sins have to face justice.

In point of fact, that's the primary teaching of Yom Kippur. None of the people's sacrifices during the year deleted their sins. Those sacrifices only obtained reprieves; and at years end, Yom Kippur reminded them that their sins were still on the books, hanging over their heads like a sword of Damocles. (Heb 10:1-4)

Quote:
How many people do you reckon have no sins on the books to begin with? You don't believe in original sin or total depravity?
"to begin with" was probably a poor choice of words. I meant none on the books at all. In other words: all past sins totally deleted from the books and no new ones added. Sorry for the confusion.

/

Old 10-12-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
In point of fact, that's the primary teaching of Yom Kippur. None of the people's sacrifices during the year deleted their sins. Those sacrifices only obtained reprieves; and at years end, Yom Kippur reminded them that their sins were still on the books, hanging over their heads like a sword of Damocles. (Heb 10:1-4)
wait, what? You did not complete the characterization there;

9Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:12 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post

You realize that Jesus is both fully God and fully man, right? He has 2 natures--the divine and the human, but he is only 1 person. His blood paid for my sin.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:
I think you need to read that verse again, everyone can make a mistake but you are definitely putting meaning into the Scriptures that isn't there. The verse says that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Even if it isn't a mistake, you can't just go and take a verse, put in a word that suits you and pass it off as Biblical..

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

And what is that word that proceeds from the mouth of God? That is the Bible ofcourse, which tells us that without the shedding of blood there is no justification before the Lord, no remission of sin and no eternal life is possible without a blood Sacrifice - Thé Sacrifice, the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ - to cover our sin.
Every word from the mouth of God is the word of God. Nothing else. Has nothing to do with a blood sacrifice.

No one can cover another's sin. The word says so. Find it.

As it is written; "Anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood shall live forever and I shall honor him on the last day."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity