Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:02 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
A subject beaten to death by those who truly don't understand the full extent of salvation. Most think salvation is getting your sins forgiven, which is a partial gospel. Jesus took away the sins of the whole world even from unbelievers, which gave rise to the universalists thinking we all end up saved, a false theology. Sin had to be taken away so eternal life could be given to those who BELIEVE. Once we believe the gospel of grace the power of God makes us a NEW CREATION, a creation now IN Christ and unable to lose salvation......there isn't one human on earth who can undo what God has done. Jesus desires that ALL should come to Him, do you think He will lose even one? No He won't.

Jesus said He was THE way, THE truth, and the LIFE.......He rose to new life so that He could give us that same eternal life.

If it was to be TEMPORARY LIFE Jesus would have said so..........look up eternal in the dictionary

2Co 5:16 From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer.
2Co 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a NEW CREATION. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
2Co 5:18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;
Ah, no. Total misunderstanding.

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.

The son of man is the way the truth and the life. Jesus was not all of the son of man only a part of him.

Look up life in the Gospels and what it is that lasts forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 03:34 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
One can also lose the ability to use there, their and they're properly. Which in my book is worse than losing they're salvation.
Don't forget allude vs. elude.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:20 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Jesus eludes to the fact one can lose there salvation !!!
My gosh, peacegiver I catch you in another one. I think the word you're looking for is "alludes", not "eludes". A refresher course in grammar will help you "elude" these simple errors. Your mistakes certainly give me no peace, your name notwithstanding.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your ignorance of Christ and God is unbelievable. Jesus and God are all about agape love because God IS agape love! Christ's demonstration of the true nature of God was an unambiguous display of perfect agape love under the most egregious of circumstances - scourging and crucifixion. He smote no one and loved even His torturers and murderers.
You have no idea because you reject His word.

Jesus was not always nice to people. You need to take those blinders off.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
My gosh, peacegiver I catch you in another one. I think the word you're looking for is "alludes", not "eludes". A refresher course in grammar will help you "elude" these simple errors. Your mistakes certainly give me no peace, your name notwithstanding.
Well I guess you got me there. Surprised spell checker missed it. I learned something today.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:13 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Well I guess you got me there. Surprised spell checker missed it. I learned something today.
Oh my gosh. You sound like a mature adult. I apologize. I thought you were a kid. I learned something too: don't be so condescending.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:35 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Your ignorance of Christ and God is unbelievable. Jesus and God are all about agape love because God IS agape love! Christ's demonstration of the true nature of God was an unambiguous display of perfect agape love under the most egregious of circumstances - scourging and crucifixion. He smote no one and loved even His torturers and murderers.
It's sad, Mystic, that those who quote the Bible the most read it intensely the least.

New Testament
New American Standard
Sin mentioned 113 times
Love mentioned 215 times

NIV
Sin mentioned 127 times
Love mentioned 232 times

NRSV
Sin mentioned 121 times
Love mentioned 221 times
(http://www.christianbiblereference.o..._WordCount.htm)

Almost 2/3s of the time the NT speaks of love, but fundamentalists are so consumed and overpowered by sin that it is almost 100% of their posts---outside of "prophetic" bible passages.

You would think that if the Love of God had really planted itself in someone's heart, then THAT would be the discussion they would want to have. It isn't because they are still in the Garden of Eden trying to be in the center, usurping God's position by judging what is and what is not sin.

The book, Repenting of Religion, while in some ways quite conservative, points out that the original sin that all mankind has is the one that took place when the mythical pair partook of the Tree of the Knowledge of GOOD and Evil (my emphasis). Eve didn't judge the serpent when he told her about the tree, it was only AFTER partaking of the fruit of that tree that Adam tried to pass it off on Eve (and God) and Eve then made her judgment about the serpent.

So it is with those entangled in their attempt to usurp the rightful center of the Garden, God Himself. They constantly judge others.

The Amazon review of this book states:
Quote:
We human beings are burdened by our tendencies to harshly judge others and ourselves. Unfortunately for believers, this bent is as prevalent in the church as in the world.

Pastor and author Gregory A. Boyd calls readers to a higher standard through understanding the true manner in which God views humanity: as infinitely worthwhile and lovable. Only an attitude shift in how we perceive ourselves in light of God's love can impact how we relate to people and transform our judgmental nature.

Believers wrestling with the reality of God's love and Christians struggling with judging in the local church will appreciate this examination of how we move from a self-centered to a Christ-centered life.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055PLW0M...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Understood in the light Pastor Gregory Boyd offers, I can agree that there IS an original sin--not sex, murder, theft, lying, etc., but the lack of love that arises in us as we try to take God's place in the center of the universe judging others on their "good" and "evil" acts and thoughts. Christians need to be examining themselves, not judging the action, inaction, belief or lack of belief of others.

P.S. The word count comparison between Heaven and Hell is even more astonishingly lopsided, the NRSV having heaven 248 times to 13 times for hell.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 10-05-2016 at 09:49 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 09:41 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus says that if salt loses its seasoning then it is to be thrown out. This after calling the disciples salt. So here he is saying they can lose there worthiness.

Matthew 5:13 NRS

"You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under foot."

Jesus also eludes to the fact one must continue in His word to be a disciple. Another fact that one can lose there salvation.

John 8:31

"If you continue in my word you are truly my discple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

Do you agree?

You didn't really think that vicarious attainment is possible, did you? Only totally naive will...

"If you continue in my word you are truly my discple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

This is correct. Problem is, it is in His LIVING word. He is then a true Master and His living word is the truth and The Truth, like contagious disease, is inoculated into a disciple and THEN disciple knows the truth and it sets him free. Or her.
LIVING word. Not dead scrolls or footprints of Jesus. Master is gone - The Light is gone. Nothing else will lighten THAT candle.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You didn't really think that vicarious attainment is possible, did you? Only totally naive will...

This is correct. Problem is, it is in His LIVING word. He is then a true Master and His living word is the truth and The Truth, like contagious disease, is inoculated into a disciple and THEN disciple knows the truth and it sets him free. Or her.
LIVING word. Not dead scrolls or footprints of Jesus. Master is gone - The Light is gone. Nothing else will lighten THAT candle.

"Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God."

The one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. I'm the good shepherd.

Follow me and you will live.

Anyone who hears my word and does not keep it I am not the one to condemn him for I did not come to condemn the world but to save it. Anyone who rejects me and does not accept my word he already has his judge namely the words I have spoken that's what will condemn him on the last day.

Those are not my words but the words of the Lord who sent me. He commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment is eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:49 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It's sad, Mystic, that those who quote the Bible the most read it intensely the least.
New Testament
New American Standard
Sin mentioned 113 times
Love mentioned 215 times
NIV
Sin mentioned 127 times
Love mentioned 232 times
NRSV
Sin mentioned 121 times
Love mentioned 221 times
(Word Counts: How Many Times Does a Word Appear in the Bible?)
Almost 2/3s of the time the NT speaks of love, but fundamentalists are so consumed and overpowered by sin that it is almost 100% of their posts---outside of "prophetic" bible passages.
You would think that if the Love of God had really planted itself in someone's heart, then THAT would be the discussion they would want to have. It isn't because they are still in the Garden of Eden trying to be in the center, usurping God's position by judging what is and what is not sin.
The book, Repenting of Religion, while in some ways quite conservative, points out that the original sin that all mankind has is the one that took place when the mythical pair partook of the Tree of the Knowledge of GOOD and Evil (my emphasis). Eve didn't judge the serpent when he told her about the tree, it was only AFTER partaking of the fruit of that tree that Adam tried to pass it off on Eve (and God) and Eve then made her judgment about the serpent.
So it is with those entangled in their attempt to usurp the rightful center of the Garden, God Himself. They constantly judge others.
The Amazon review of this book states:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055PLW0M...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
Understood in the light Pastor Gregory Boyd offers, I can agree that there IS an original sin--not sex, murder, theft, lying, etc., but the lack of love that arises in us as we try to take God's place in the center of the universe judging others on their "good" and "evil" acts and thoughts. Christians need to be examining themselves, not judging the action, inaction, belief or lack of belief of others.
P.S. The word count comparison between Heaven and Hell is even more astonishingly lopsided, the NRSV having heaven 248 times to 13 times for hell.
Wonderful post, Warden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity