Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 03:17 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
lol sorry, that's hogwash, as evidenced by the fact that All Muslims Are Lost, as far as you are concerned, right? Or even that Protestants claim Catholics are all lost, and vice versa. please.
Vice versa is a bit hard because catholics don't believe in everlasting punishment of the ungodly in hell as far as I know, they just believe in a sort of temporal refining, much like the universalists. So "lost" in a protestant perspective is very different from a catholic perspective because it really means lost forever, no chance of reconciliation with God after this life if we haven't been reconciled in this life through faith in Jesus Christ.

So in other words, if the catholics are right, the protestants will still be fine in due time.. on the other hand if the protestants (and the Bible is..) are right, the catholics have got all of eternity to regret believing their man-made doctrines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 05:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Vice versa is a bit hard because catholics don't believe in everlasting punishment of the ungodly in hell as far as I know, they just believe in a sort of temporal refining, much like the universalists. So "lost" in a protestant perspective is very different from a catholic perspective because it really means lost forever, no chance of reconciliation with God after this life if we haven't been reconciled in this life through faith in Jesus Christ.

So in other words, if the catholics are right, the protestants will still be fine in due time.. on the other hand if the protestants (and the Bible is..) are right, the catholics have got all of eternity to regret believing their man-made doctrines.
Jews also believe in a temporal refining....

Old 10-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Jews also believe in a temporal refining....
Yes.. so likewise they will have all of eternity to regret believing that man-made doctrine if they haven't been reconciled with God in this life according to the Bible.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:04 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:

Of course they believe in hell. They believe in "purgatory" to cleanse a person from their minor, or "venial" sins, but they believe a person goes straight to hell if they have a "mortal", or serious sin on their conscience. To alleviate that, one must confess their mortal sins and be forgiven. If you've seen the movie Saving Private Ryan, you'll see a priest standing on the beach giving absolution to the dying men. It's what the "last rites" is about -- forgiving of all sins so they can go to Heaven.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course they believe in hell. They believe in "purgatory" to cleanse a person from their minor, or "venial" sins, but they believe a person goes straight to hell if they have a "mortal", or serious sin on their conscience. To alleviate that, one must confess their mortal sins and be forgiven. If you've seen the movie Saving Private Ryan, you'll see a priest standing on the beach giving absolution to the dying men. It's what the "last rites" is about -- forgiving of all sins so they can go to Heaven.
Yes but the bottom line is, their version of hell is not a permanent sentence, which was the point I was making. Just for arguments' sake, for a protestant it's not that bad if the catholics are right, on the other hand if the protestant is right, the catholic is eternally lost without any hope for a remedy. The difference is the man-made doctrine of a possibility for reconciliation and repentance after this life.. which is obviously not Biblical, as you know.

Hebrew 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Old 10-27-2016, 11:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Yes but the bottom line is, their version of hell is not a permanent sentence, which was the point I was making.
That point couldn't be farther from the truth. The Catholic church teaches the existence of a permanent hell. What you're confusing is the idea idea of purgatory, where Christians are purged from their minor sins. The non-Christians don't go to purgatory, and if a Christian has a serious, mortal sin on their conscience, they don't go to purgatory---they go straight to hell.

I'd encourage you to do some more investigation into what the RCC actually teaches before stating it as fact. I say that as a former Catholic that knows what it teaches.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That point couldn't be farther from the truth. The Catholic church teaches the existence of a permanent hell. What you're confusing is the idea idea of purgatory, where Christians are purged from their minor sins. The non-Christians don't go to purgatory, and if a Christian has a serious, mortal sin on their conscience, they don't go to purgatory---they go straight to hell.

I'd encourage you to do some more investigation into what the RCC actually teaches before stating it as fact. I say that as a former Catholic that knows what it teaches.
Hmm you're right I apologise.. should've done better research. I basically took my view mostly from the catholics I spoke with.. and from history lessons on the selling of indulgences etc. But you're right, there is such a thing as an eternal hell in roman catholicism.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:09 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,414 times
which also seems to be untrue

Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:36 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
which also seems to be untrue

Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Does anyone reason on this matter you have presented? Why is death and Hades thrown in to the lake of fire. The answer is just the same reason everything else is thrown in there--eternally destroyed.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:17 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Does anyone reason on this matter you have presented? Why is death and Hades thrown in to the lake of fire. The answer is just the same reason everything else is thrown in there--eternally destroyed.
Hades is thrown into the lake of fire? I thought hades was the lake of fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity