Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 07:16 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,685,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I don't ignore God's "holiness," I just don't see it the way you do..... lessee where did I post that? brb

So, "Holy" means more like "dedicated" if you can see the difference.

BTW, if I am "disingenuous," everyone who realizes that there is controversy, but presents his version of the Gospel is also. Jimmyj, do you believe what you teach to have been revealed by Jesus?
Holy means "pure".

Absolutely! (bolded above)

Old 10-12-2016, 07:17 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,685,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Jimmie, am I thinking of someone else or aren't you the Southern Baptists that does have female pastors?
No, we don't.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:21 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,045,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No, we don't.
What a surprise.

Not.

Weak men led by even weaker men.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:12 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Those with God's Holy Spirit of agape love know there is a problem and the Bible is NOT God's word, Jesus IS! Those without His Holy Spirit, think the Bible is God's word. The Bible did not exist for Jesus to use. What scrolls and scripture did exist were never called God's word.
Quote:
You refuse to accept that the Spirit, NOT the Bible, is the final authority. Your absurd belief that they are never in conflict is a "precept and doctrine of men" that appears nowhere nor does the claim that the Bible is the 100% inerrant word of God. Those are human precepts and you have been trapped by them. They are lies fabricated to make the Bible an Idol equal to God and the church its only interpreter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
So are you claiming that if someone believes the Bible is inerrant, they do not and can not have the Holy Spirit indwelling them?
I make no claim about what indwells anyone, but there is so much in the Bible that makes God appear to be a barbaric, ego-centric, evil tyrant violating the very morality He demands of us, all the while doing and demanding barbaric and evil things and threatening evil things. There is ZERO chance that ANY of that primitive barbarism is from the Holy Spirit of agape love (Who IS God)!!! I cannot even imagine what kind of double or triple minded mind it would take to think that it is.
Quote:
I would say that for anyone who honestly investigates, it would be impossible to believe in Biblical inerrancy, yes. For those who refuse to do so, the question may not be all that important in their walk.
Amen!

Old 10-12-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Let me try AGAIN then: Jesus did. He promised ONE guide and you choose to look for another.
Quote:
I've told you numerous times. I do NOT dismiss the Spirit. The Spirit of God indwells ALL believers. I simply do not believe the He will disagree with scripture. They both proclaim the same message.
This is so patently FALSE I cannot believe you do not see it!!! This is a platitudinous assertion of dogma about the Bible content that is absolutely preposterous to anyone who ACTUALLY reads what is in the Bible.
Quote:
You liberals dismiss the parts of scripture you find offensive, even going so far as to believe the first half of John 3:16, but dismissing the second half. That's ludicrous! That allows you to make up theology, invoke the Spirit and thus sound all righteous.
You have been told too many times now for your statements to be anything other than deceptive lies about us, jimmie. It has NOTHING to do with what we find offensive!. It is what is NOT compatible or consistent with the Holy Spirit of agape love (Who IS God). That is the standard of God's truth and you continue to ignore it and remain floundering in the ancient ignorance of our ancestors who can be forgiven because they were not CAPABLE of seeing it, but you are, jimmie.
Quote:
Jesus quoted scripture and told us His redemption work was spoken of within, the apostles quoted scripture and Paul told us "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness." Peter, who walked with Jesus, confirmed Paul's writings as gospel.
::Sigh:: Profitable only means USEFUL, NOT infallible or inerrant. God-breathed simply means inspired and subject to interpretation, NOT dictated verbatim. We are still supposed to study to show ourselves approved and test the Spirit of everything claimed to be from God or Jesus against the Holy Spirit of agape love, period!

Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
Quote:
BTW, if I am "disingenuous," everyone who realizes that there is controversy, but presents his version of the Gospel is also. Jimmyj, do you believe what you teach to have been revealed by Jesus?
Quote:

Absolutely! (bolded above)
How disingenuous of you.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:33 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,357,337 times
Thanks for your response, Mystic. God in His majesty sends His Spirit to all who are saved, as noted in the Bible, and I believe in His mercy He does this despite all our various theological differences -- indeed, is there any one who has his or her theology absolutely perfect? Probably not -- we are all fallible creatures. Maybe Person X is wrong about transubstantiation, maybe Person Y is wrong in their stance on Biblical inerrancy, maybe Person Z is wrong in their Eschatology, etc. But if we all profess His holy name as our Lord and Savior, and strive to keep His commandments, that is definitely the most important thing, in my opinion.

Of course it is okay and good to discuss and debate as long as we are all trying to reach a greater understanding of and more sincere following of Christ.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I make no claim about what indwells anyone, but there is so much in the Bible that makes God appear to be a barbaric, ego-centric, evil tyrant violating the very morality He demands of us, all the while doing and demanding barbaric and evil things and threatening evil things. There is ZERO chance that ANY of that primitive barbarism is from the Holy Spirit of agape love (Who IS God)!!! I cannot even imagine what kind of double or triple minded mind it would take to think that it is.
Amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Thanks for your response, Mystic. God in His majesty sends His Spirit to all who are saved, as noted in the Bible, and I believe in His mercy He does this despite all our various theological differences -- indeed, is there any one who has his or her theology absolutely perfect? Probably not -- we are all fallible creatures. Maybe Person X is wrong about transubstantiation, maybe Person Y is wrong in their stance on Biblical inerrancy, maybe Person Z is wrong in their Eschatology, etc. But if we all profess His holy name as our Lord and Savior, and strive to keep His commandments, that is definitely the most important thing, in my opinion.
Of course it is okay and good to discuss and debate as long as we are all trying to reach a greater understanding of and more sincere following of Christ.
Amen, brother!! Our focus should be on Jesus and His instructions to His disciples to love God and each other every day and repent when they didn't. If we focus on acting out of agape love for everyone we cannot sin and we are covered by Christ's perfect agape love.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-13-2016 at 11:47 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 11:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,224,358 times
Quote:
Profitable only means USEFUL, NOT infallible or inerrant. God-breathed simply means inspired and subject to interpretation, NOT dictated verbatim.
It's NOT that difficult to comprehend.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:38 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,412,881 times
Quote:

Jesus, when choosing the 12, chose men.
And Jesus, who loved women, chose a woman to appear to first, and to carry the news of his resurrection. A woman, not a man. That says multitudes more to me than anything written by Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity