Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 02:52 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,354,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
In the Soviet Union, where my ancestors hail from, being strictly a homemaker and mother was forbidden and carried punishments anywhere from monetary fines to years in gulag. If was a very grim, drab form of feminism: the powers that be really, I mean really, wanted all women chained to the machines and the bureaus. Of course, having children was OK, but only as long as it did not interfere with your professional productivity - which meant you sent them to day care to be brought up by the state as early as possible.

When the USSR fell apart in the beginning of the 90es, the women discovered with joy that they were now free to either pursue a career, or become self-employed, or devote themselves to motherhood. And some of them had husbands who loved them well enough so as to provide for the latter situation.

What I see in the attitude of the abovementioned "liberated" men is a subtle push for women to return back to the Soviet situation. And of course that push does not come from themselves (I believe Nate, Zthatzmanz28, Trout and others really have only good intentions) but from corporate interests. Except that now these corporate interests cannot employ the sheer violence of the state to coerse women into submission. So they use subtler methods - shaming and marginalization of any choice that is not in line with their own objectives. It has nothing to do with religion or lack thereof, but simply with capitalism and increasing profits.
Well stated and some accurate points. Having the children raised by state-run daycares and schools also increases the effectiveness of political indoctrination, at least in theory, since they are in the state's care for so many of their formative years. Granted, in the earlier years of communism, policies and official thought was different, e.g. Stalin and the Hero Mothers and so forth, but that's going pretty far back; for the last 30+ years of the USSR, abortion was one of the main methods of birth control.

Abortion rates were very high behind the Iron Curtain as well, for various reasons including poor central planning that made birth control hard to get or get reliably. Rates of termination have steadily declined since the fall of the USSR, so that's a positive.

I think it is important to value motherhood. Perhaps my feelings are too strong on this topic, however, as I am one of those people who believes having a family is a joy in life and has tremendous value and worth in and of itself, and I have met a number of childless people who disagree with those sorts of opinions and think children are an annoyance, etc. There are also lots of economic arguments on all of these social topics, but I won't get into those since this is the Christianity forum.

Last edited by ScottsdaleMark; 10-17-2016 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 02:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,714,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
To them, you aren’t separate but equal, as they might claim from the pulpit. You may be made in the image of God, but not in the same way that they are. You are inferior. You are lesser than. You are Adam’s rib meat; baby machines, meal preparers, arm candy, pleasure tools designed by God for men to use as they desire. Some of these men of God will have the guts to actually say this, others will simply prove it to you. They are proving it to you now. Listen to them.

READ MORE

C'mon.

P.S. Quotation marks are a good thing when you're citing someone else's words in a thread title.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,184,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
In the Soviet Union, where my ancestors hail from, being strictly a homemaker and mother was forbidden and carried punishments anywhere from monetary fines to years in gulag. If was a very grim, drab form of feminism: the powers that be really, I mean really, wanted all women chained to the machines and the bureaus. Of course, having children was OK, but only as long as it did not interfere with your professional productivity - which meant you sent them to day care to be brought up by the state as early as possible.

When the USSR fell apart in the beginning of the 90es, the women discovered with joy that they were now free to either pursue a career, or become self-employed, or devote themselves to motherhood. And some of them had husbands who loved them well enough so as to provide for the latter situation.

What I see in the attitude of the abovementioned "liberated" men is a subtle push for women to return back to the Soviet situation. And of course that push does not come from themselves (I believe Nate, Zthatzmanz28, Trout and others really have only good intentions) but from corporate interests. Except that now these corporate interests cannot employ the sheer violence of the state to coerse women into submission. So they use subtler methods - shaming and marginalization of any choice that is not in line with their own objectives. It has nothing to do with religion or lack thereof, but simply with capitalism and increasing profits.
Okay, I understand where you are coming from now. It really comes down to oppression either way, with The Powers That Be deciding how much freedom their subjects should be allowed to have. Restricting women from having children and being home to raise them is every bit as tyrannical as only allowing women to exist in the domestic sphere and vulnerable to abuse and poverty. Whether it's based on a holy book or a political/economic ideology, it's not okay.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,818,641 times
True enough, but this is NOT the Soviet Union and the primary enemy is not greedy capitalists, but entrenched "religious" perception.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,084,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
True enough, but this is NOT the Soviet Union and the primary enemy is not greedy capitalists, but entrenched "religious" perception.
Like your's? You seem to be pretty good about telling others they're wrong.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,818,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Like your's? You seem to be pretty good about telling others they're wrong.
Thank you, but I really prefer to think of it as SHOWing others why they are wrong, even if they can't see.... others can.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,244,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You think I am like the ones who decided that "deaconess" CAN'T mean the holder of the office of deacon because women are disqualified from being a deacon?

No, I look at the context of the verse you cited and see clearly that the other references have NO bearing on the identity of the "Advocate." THEN I look at the OTHER recorded promises of the Spirit and see NO basis whatsoever for ambiguity.

THEN I conclude from your MANY entries on the subject that your DOCTRINE is your starting point and NOT the pertnnt scripture.
Wrong on all three, but everyone is entitled to their beliefs. Yours drive your perceptions as well.

Mine are based on scripture first and then I change my views to fit it, as led by the promised spirit.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:10 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,049,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Wrong on all three, but everyone is entitled to their beliefs. Yours drive your perceptions as well.

Mine are based on scripture first and then I change my views to fit it, as led by the promised spirit.
Seriously? Isn't that how science worked in the 13th century??

Old 10-17-2016, 11:00 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,755,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seriously? Isn't that how science worked in the 13th century??
Not sure amount of science or history you have been exposed to.
But most American education systems are built to withhold information. They do not provide the necessary applications of skills needed.
Look at mathematics for example and then apply carpentry.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:26 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,411,866 times
The devil is so cunning. He loves to turn people against others but the worst he has ever done is turn women against men and vice versa. He hates humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity