Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 09:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Don't let them suck you in.

It sounds like you have a good balance of valuing the importance of women without compromising God's standards.

Some of the posters will nitpick at you and call you names if you don't completely comply with their viewpoints - which are of the world, and are out of step with God's viewpoints.
Says one of the insecure male fundamentalists.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:05 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Don't let them suck you in.

It sounds like you have a good balance of valuing the importance of women without compromising God's standards.

Some of the posters will nitpick at you and call you names if you don't completely comply with their viewpoints - which are of the world, and are out of step with God's viewpoints.
Define "nitpicking" DRob, because based on our discussions, you seem to think it has something to do with anyone (perhaps especially women?) holding your feet to the fire when you are unable or unwilling to acknowledge the internal inconsistencies in some of your beliefs, rather than kowtowing to you.

And, as far as people calling you names (when have I ever called you anything other than DRob, or perhaps fundamentalist Christian?) ... Puh-leeze. Conservative Christians have called me everything from Jezebel to swine to dog to Satan's offspring. Oh, and threatened me with the wrath of God and/or eternal hell on innumerable occasions as well, as if they are God's mouthpiece.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted.
Both candidates have serious issues. The question is, Twin, do you as a Christian man sweep the harmful attitudes about women espoused by your candidate of choice under the rug and pretend they don't matter?

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-10-2016 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted

Old 10-10-2016, 10:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The Neo-Platonist was a later impact on the Early Church father's. They changed a LOT of things to fit the ideas of men. No impact on scripture, just later interpretations as well as flat out teachings based on men's thoughts and read back into verses that were not discussing such teachings at all.
If you believe that "scripture" was NOT redacted to reflect influences after the apostolic period, you have your head in the sand.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:39 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
AGAIN--I DO and HAVE LEARNED of Christ without the bible...YADA YADA...YADA....

Being the spawn of satan is really unbecoming of such a nice young altar boy as yourself...
Raelly where did you learn about Jesus outside the Bible. What words of men????

Old 10-10-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I believe you're a good guy, with good and sincere intentions, who loves and respects his wife, based on your post. But I don't think you understand the subtle and insidious influence religion has had on you in your ideas about being the leader and head of your wife. I relate, because I know those ideas have had an influence on my own ideas about myself as a woman.
BUT, there may be good reason for the described situation to obtain in his household. The problem comes when they say that's the way it SHOULD be because God ordained it that way.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
How about: some who claim to be "Christians". Real Christians do not treat or speak about women that way.
So you don't think that there are "ordained roles" that keep women from full participation in the Body?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If you believe that "scripture" was NOT redacted to reflect influences after the apostolic period, you have your head in the sand.
A few were such as 1 John 5:7,8, the end of Mark, etc. However I know of no verses redacted about women. We have more MS of the Bible than any other historical writing from ancient history and we can see the redactions now. I am well aware of such changes made after the Apostolic period.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So you don't think that there are "ordained roles" that keep women from full participation in the Body?
The Bible restricts the role of women in teaching or "priestly" positions WITHIN the Congregation/Church.

The "Body" is the totality of members, not the "Official" teaching positions such as Pastor, Priest, Bishop, etc., and women have many roles in the Body including teaching other women.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
A few were such as 1 John 5:7,8, the end of Mark, etc. However I know of no verses redacted about women. We have more MS of the Bible than any other historical writing from ancient history and we can see the redactions now. I am well aware of such changes made after the Apostolic period.
How many of those are dated BEFORE the Neo-Platonist influence of the early 2nd century?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity