Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 01:19 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
He did not say, "Go and preach whatever you think the Spirit is telling you"
ok, and since i apparently stepped on your toes there, i apologize, you likely meant that differently, and are making a different point that i might even agree with. But what do you mean there, anyway? Are you sure preaching is the best word in there? I don't think it is, and the lex seems to agree, so it might be stuff like this that turns people--who don't know that "lexicon" = "the opportunity to interpret for yourself"--off of the Bible, wadr. All you can possibly do is..."preach" what the spirit is telling you--or please rephrase that in your understanding; or do your best to shred it, permission granted. But this is a loaded invitation, i wanna be fair, because i can already hear the "that's what the Bible says," lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It doesn't appear that maat is kidding himself about God condoning slavery, since he put "just men" in parentheses after "god".
ok, maybe i just didn't read that right, but in my defense, "These alone make this book irrelevant" tells me that he thinks God condones slavery, or God does not exist and is man-made.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
"Condone" is rather a vague term. Every human will have to sin as a human habit. It by no means says that God condones sin simply because sin is allowed to happen under His sovereignty. If that's something inevitable, God allows regulation instead of applying an absolute.

Matthew 19:8 (KJV)
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

Mosaic Law (perhaps besides the core commandments such the 10) itself is not an absolute but rather a law of regulation. It's something His people (the ancient Jews) can practically abide by to a said standard such that they can be saved by God's Grace through Jesus Christ. If on the other hand an absolute is applied, no humans ever since Adam can survive the judgment of Law. God's requirement for both angels and humans is the absolute. That's God's standard. Humans can never live up to this standard thus Jesus is required for our salvation. Other than this absolute standard, "condone" is thus a vague term to apply.
ya, "overlook" is prolly better. i don't like this "Humans can never" thing, be holy as I am holy, but then again King David was a mess, and yet a guy "After God's own heart."

Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
and you have to pay full price for that half a loaf
lol, good one. "Half a loaf" is better than none, however; "step by step" is how one gets it, "here a little, there a little." And i protest at this "pay full price," as that is supposed to be the price that Christ has paid, you pay nothing, in that sense. But ya, that is twisted to fit an agenda, so that you pay, huh.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Bullwhoop. The motive to help poor Jews is more like "indentured" than slave, but the standard form of slavery is just like everywhere else except that a little more humane treatment is mandated and the (technical) possibility (never recorded as utilized) of "Jubilee."
ya, if you really wanted to help the poor out, you would have given them the wages they earned, and they would not be poor! Of course, you would then not be rich, and able to "help the poor."

Old 10-14-2016, 01:34 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
ok, and since i apparently stepped on your toes there, i apologize, you likely meant that differently, and are making a different point that i might even agree with. But what do you mean there, anyway? Are you sure preaching is the best word in there? I don't think it is, and the lex seems to agree, so it might be stuff like this that turns people--who don't know that "lexicon" = "the opportunity to interpret for yourself"--off of the Bible, wadr. All you can possibly do is..."preach" what the spirit is telling you--or please rephrase that in your understanding; or do your best to shred it, permission granted. But this is a loaded invitation, i wanna be fair, because i can already hear the "that's what the Bible says," lol.
I think I am the one who has done the stepping and he persistently claims that it is just "whatever we think the Spirit is telling us" rather than acknowledge that there is a test for the leading of the Spirit. I made MY attempt to disabuse him of that notion....AGAIN.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:36 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
According to Numbers 30:2 and Deuteronomy 23:21 if we make a vow or forswear ourselves to God we have to do all according to that which we forswear.

Numbers 30:2
2 If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.

Deuteronomy 23:21
21 When thou shalt vow a vow unto the LORD thy God, thou shalt not slack to pay it: for the LORD thy God will surely require it of thee; and it would be sin in thee.

However, according to Jesus we are not to swear at all, but let our communication be yea, yea, or nay, nay.
Matthew 5:33-37
33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: 34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all;neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne: 35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Jesus’ words are a total contradiction to what is written in Numbers 30:2 and Deuteronomy 23:21.

We see this same lying pen of the Scribe in the horrendous eye for an eye doctrine that the Scribes attributed to Moses in Exodus 21:21-24, Leviticus 24:19-20 and Deuteronomy 19:21

Exodus 21:22-24
22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman’s husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. 23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, 24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
Leviticus 24:19-20
19 And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him; 20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.
Deuteronomy 19:21
21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

But Jesus says that ye resist not evil.

Matthew 5:38-42
38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. 41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Jesus’ words again are in total contradiction to what is written in Exodus 21:21-24, Leviticus 24:19-20 and Deuteronomy 19:21.

Also Jesus just ignored many of the purity laws, touching and healing those who were unclean with leprosy. Why? because love and the care of others was his guiding rule.

Just like to point as I did in another thread, there are oaths all through the NT.

Also, He was not telling them to turn their cheek to get hit again as in be a complete pacificist, it was to shame the one who hit. They used their right hands for everything, and their left hands were only used for taking care of bodily functions and therefore unclean. So once you struck a man on his left cheek with your right hand, if he turned the other cheek, you'd be facing his right cheek, and the only way you could then hit him would be to backhand him (only done to lesser than's, ie. your servants) or you'd have to hit him with your unclean hand (shameful). In other words, it stopped the fight at one blow or the aggressor would be shamed worse than the one hit. Peace

Old 10-14-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I think I am the one who has done the stepping and he persistently claims that it is just "whatever we think the Spirit is telling us" rather than acknowledge that there is a test for the leading of the Spirit. I made MY attempt to disabuse him of that notion....AGAIN.
hmm. ok, i would assert that you are, right now, just doing whatever the Spirit has led you to do, which i see reflected in how we are supposed to absorb Scripture, so maybe i am still misunderstanding, and hearing your test might clear it up.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:45 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
hmm. ok, i would assert that you are, right now, just doing whatever the Spirit has led you to do, which i see reflected in how we are supposed to absorb Scripture, so maybe i am still misunderstanding, and hearing your test might clear it up.
Listen very carefully: anything claimed or asserted to be from God or Jesus that is NOT compatible with the characteristics of agape love as described in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount is NOT FROM God OR Jesus, period! It does NOT matter what the source is claimed to be.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Listen very carefully: anything claimed or asserted to be from God or Jesus that is NOT compatible with the characteristics of agape love as described in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount is NOT FROM God OR Jesus, period! It does NOT matter what the source is claimed to be.
ok, but i think that is a different subject, and we are maybe having a semantics discussion now, like over on the "evil heart" thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity