Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 08:03 AM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How long have you been a child psychologist?

My children were not "born" thieves, murders, or liars---people learn these from either observing others or because they have an unfulfilled need--typically caused by POOR upbringing...

Perhaps you children were possessive and hoarders...my children had no problem sharing.

Perhaps is is just children of evangelicals that are "raised" with a self-centered " point of view??
Nonsense!

Certainly, parental and environmental influences play a large part in a child's life. Nevertheless, we still have to teach our children right from wrong. We humans have a bent towards selfishness. It takes a village, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 08:45 AM

9,588 posts, read 4,993,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
A book that shows where ever word in the Bible is, cannot be hideous.

I bought one recently. Actually, he's right, the new Strong's is hideous. I have one over 30 years old. I compared some crucial meanings and there seems to be some deliberate obscuring going on. I trashed it and kept my ragged one. Peace

Old 11-01-2016, 08:52 AM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
That is because you have no idea what a fundamentalist is.
How many times do i have to remind you i was formerly a fundy, and far more skillful in the doctrines of fundamentalism and expounding on them than you, Vizio and Finn put together.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I am inspired to study God's inspired word to learn more about Him. When I teach, I hope what I say is inspired by the the truth the Holy Spirit has guided me into, but that is not always the case,
So the only inspiration you get is what you get from the bible?. You must walk around with your head in the sand(the sinking variety).

Old 11-01-2016, 08:56 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
I am inspired to study God's inspired word to learn more about Him. When I teach, I hope what I say is inspired by the the truth the Holy Spirit has guided me into, but that is not always the case,
WHY? Will god not speak directly to you? I am sure that what god has to say today is so much more relevant than what men wrote 2000 years ago?

Old 11-01-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Nonsense!

Certainly, parental and environmental influences play a large part in a child's life. Nevertheless, we still have to teach our children right from wrong. We humans have a bent towards selfishness. It takes a village, right?

Do you have children? Do or did you teach them they were EVIL, BROKEN and SINNERS? At what age did you start with this indoctrination of SELF-LOATHING??

I feel sorry for those who are so PESSIMISTIC and choose only to see the dark side of humanity as being the natural state..and then too PREACH it as if it is normal?? What FEAR MONGERING -- NO WONDER we are so FRIGHTENED by our own shadow and see BOGEY-MEN under every bed...

Christianity has it wrong – YOU Are NOT Broken

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 11-01-2016 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-01-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How many times do i have to remind you i was formerly a fundy, and far more skillful in the doctrines of fundamentalism and expounding on them than you, Vizio and Finn put together.
I could spontaneously vomit chapter and verse for EVERY occasion. One time I made a minister cry when I challenged his doctrinal teaching.

I even regurgitated scripture whenever I met someone on the streets and at malls.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I could spontaneously vomit chapter and verse for EVERY occasion. One time I made a minister cry when I challenged his doctrinal teaching.

I even regurgitated scripture whenever I met someone on the streets and at malls.
Sounds like me.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:21 AM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
Do you have children? Do or did you teach them they were EVIL, BROKEN and SINNERS? At what age did you start with this indoctrination of SELF-LOATHING??

I feel sorry for those who are so PESSIMISTIC and choose only to see the dark side of humanity as being the natural state..and then too PREACH it as if it is normal?? What FEAR MONGERING -- NO WONDER we are so FRIGHTENED by our own shadow and see BOGEY-MEN under every bed...

Christianity has it wrong – YOU Are NOT Broken
Nice try. You are (for some reason) denying reality. Has nothing to do with pessimism, the dark side or any other nonsense you speak of. All humans "miss the mark" and need to be corrected from time to time. That's part of parenting.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I bought one recently. Actually, he's right, the new Strong's is hideous. I have one over 30 years old. I compared some crucial meanings and there seems to be some deliberate obscuring going on. I trashed it and kept my ragged one. Peace
So, basically you acted from bias, wanting to believe that the earlier definitions were correct. The appropriate reaction would be to compare those entries to a more scholarly work such as A Greek English Lexicon of the New Testament, but that might not pander to your preconceptions.

I'll have to look into the New Strong's, it might have made some strides in scholarship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity