Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 07:44 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,622,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Are banks now allowed to beat their debtors so badly they need 2-3 days to recover? What would be the bankers penalty for beating a debtor?
um, there is a penalty for that, what is the term...oh ya, "bonus." And 2-3 days to recover is hardly a fair standard to hold bankers to; they ruin lives, multiple, for generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
This does not justify the institution and or the "God" who sanctioned it.
you are aware that although the Jews were bad enough, in this light, all the surrounding nations burned their firstborn alive, etc, right? And that those kids might have been the lucky ones in those societies, even? i mean do you imagine that you are fighting some false notion that the Jews were held up as superior beings, compared to us today?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:52 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,161,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
you are aware that although the Jews were bad enough, in this light, all the surrounding nations burned their firstborn alive, etc, right? And that those kids might have been the lucky ones in those societies, even?
And this is supposed to justify a loving God sanctioning brutal slavery?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
And this is supposed to justify a loving God sanctioning brutal slavery?
no, but it might do to help understand the realities as they existed then. It was a different world, maat. A completely different planet. Giants with six fingers ruled Canaan, 9, 10 feet tall. The Egyptians recorded them on steles. We are discussing them from idealism; people who resorted to eating their children sometimes. It is arguably at least extremely naive to do this.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:02 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,316,988 times
Quote:
no, i guess you don't, but the claim is hardly mine alone. Iow Hammurabi, Abraham, Moses, Solomon, Job etc were considered among the wisest, by all of humanity, and so the BoP is kind of on you if you want to dispute that. God suggests that wisdom may be gained by It. If we took a poll, would you accept the results? If the Bible had a parable allowing that atheists might inherit the kingdom, would that sway you? Do you agree that you were created? Or what common ground can we agree upon?
are you sure? if we took a poll, would you accept the results? or, what common...whoa, deju vu. So, what do we agree upon, that we can come to some agreement about what we do not agree upon? Do you have a problem with Love your neighbor? Or you pick, i don't care.
In not a single sane world could the burden of proof possibly be on someone who denies something that hasn't been proven to be true.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
In not a single sane world could the burden of proof possibly be on someone who denies something that hasn't been proven to be true.
well, you suggest that the standard be "proven," when maybe "proven" is not the best standard, imo. Wouldn't we both agree on some burden that is essentially quite a bit lower than "proven?" (suggesting "beyond a shadow of a doubt")
Do i have to prove to you that Solomon was considered a wise man, or would a preponderance of evidence suffice iow?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
no, but it might do to help understand the realities as they existed then. It was a different world, maat. A completely different planet. Giants with six fingers ruled Canaan, 9, 10 feet tall. The Egyptians recorded them on steles. We are discussing them from idealism; people who resorted to eating their children sometimes. It is arguably at least extremely naive to do this.
Which further proves we are not the creation of a loving creator. I've read the book. I came away with it being a blood fest and presentation of a dumbfounded childish super being.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Which further proves we are not the creation of a loving creator. I've read the book. I came away with it being a blood fest and presentation of a dumbfounded childish super being.
so, do you embrace an evil creator? or what, exactly?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
so, do you embrace an evil creator? or what, exactly?
I don't embrace any creator. As far as I know, we are here. We might have been created, we might have just evolved or we might have been seeded here. I don't know. I've seen nothing that proves a supernatural creator or being in existence. IMO, if there is a creator, it is indifferent to us.

I believe our perception of evil is founded in our natural need for sustenance and companionship. We need food, clothing shelter and companionship. These are not infinite easily attained resources. We have learned to produce and acquire them more efficiently, which has enabled man to evolve from a brutal past of competition for them. We have learned that laws and ethics help stabilize large numbers of competitors for resources. We are a product of our environment. We have likely created our own gods overtime.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I don't embrace any creator. As far as I know, we are here. We might have been created, we might have just evolved or we might have been seeded here. I don't know. I've seen nothing that proves a supernatural creator or being in existence. IMO, if there is a creator, it is indifferent to us.

I believe our perception of evil is founded in our natural need for sustenance and companionship. We need food, clothing shelter and companionship. These are not infinite easily attained resources. We have learned to produce and acquire them more efficiently, which has enabled man to evolve from a brutal past of competition for them. We have learned that laws and ethics help stabilize large numbers of competitors for resources. We are a product of our environment. We have likely created our own gods overtime.
then it seems pertinent to ask what is the point of coming here? Seems pretty masochistic or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity