Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 10:45 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Whatever nametag you hang onto it, it's "existence".. and like the existence of any other thing, a guitar, a book, a school etc. it has a cause for existence.. things don't just poof out of the air, did you ever notice that? And some try to get around this causality thing by saying there doesn't need to be a cause, but how on earth then can there be any existence without a cause?

And if you try to put in a random cause, a big bang theory or whatever, how can a random explosion become an intricate design such as human, animal and plant-life? You see, just as with an intricate painting, there must be a really brilliant painter behind it, so it is with the beauty and intricacy of existence and life we can see around us, there must be a brilliant Creator behind that. And incase you want to go with a "big bang", where did the stuff that caused the explosion come from? Everything must come from something (law of causality) and it cannot exist, unless the eternal God created it out of nothing. Now a truly ridiculous exercise in logic is trying to defend anything besides the truth, namely that:

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
I know right! How can something come from nothing? I mean who created that guitar? Who created that building? That painting?

What's even more boggling is, who created God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 10:53 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is not just for you - but for everyone.

God requires faith... not proof. We are not called to prove anything. We are called to believe.
Using this criterion, is there anything that cannot be legitimately claimed? Do you believe all of the claims about people seeing Elvis? Alien abductions?

Old 10-19-2016, 10:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Whatever nametag you hang onto it, it's "existence".. and like the existence of any other thing, a guitar, a book, a school etc. it has a cause for existence.. things don't just poof out of the air, did you ever notice that? And some try to get around this causality thing by saying there doesn't need to be a cause, but how on earth then can there be any existence without a cause?

And if you try to put in a random cause, a big bang theory or whatever, how can a random explosion become an intricate design such as human, animal and plant-life? You see, just as with an intricate painting, there must be a really brilliant painter behind it, so it is with the beauty and intricacy of existence and life we can see around us, there must be a brilliant Creator behind that. And incase you want to go with a "big bang", where did the stuff that caused the explosion come from? Everything must come from something (law of causality) or else it cannot exist, unless the eternal God created it out of nothing. Now a truly ridiculous exercise in logic is trying to defend anything besides the truth, namely that:

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
This is a BRILLIANT painter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvEEooI4pDA

Old 10-19-2016, 10:55 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,636,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
To contest the misinformation presented. As a sheeple Christian, I never knew the absurdities and contradictions in the bible. After honest reading and study I .

Bad things:

You owe God 10% of your income.
You are wicked if not saved.
You are worthless and only achieve through the sky fairy.
Selling daughters into slavery is ok.
Misogyny is ok.
Killing whole ethnicities is ok.
Read the full story of Lot.
Beating and owning slaves is ok.
Donkeys can talk.
Mass rape is ok.
Every species on earth was populated from a boat.
Unrepented sinners burn in hell forever.

What is important is that this book be exposed for what it is, just Jewish written nonsense.
ah. imo, you would be much more effective if you approached the Bible differently, and used It against them--although "against" is not even a very good term there, as there is no competition in that sense imo--but i understand, and that is up to you. I would think the fact that the Bible discourse upon the reality of "a book that is used to misguide vast numbers of people into believing bad things," much like the things you list up there, would be impossible to match for evidence in your cause, but then wadr "As a sheeple Christian, I never knew the absurdities and contradictions in the bible" tells me that the Bible has been spiritually denied to you successfully, and that you hold that...what, i don't want to put words in your mouth, but something like those contradictions are mistakes, oops, it is a vast conspiracy, and no one noticed that apparent contradictions were creeping in, they were so busy writing propaganda lol. Can you give me an example of any other propaganda where this is in evidence? God loves you

Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
This is not just for you - but for everyone.

God requires faith... not proof. We are not called to prove anything. We are called to believe.
So my FAITH and BELIEF is just as VALID as yours or anyone else's!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I did. Try it yourself.
what is your take on why the Bible was forbidden for people to own or read for so long, if your pov is accurate?

Old 10-19-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I can tell my dog: Who did that? He will take a shameful walk of guilt.
Mine will too...sometimes (usually) I do not even have to say WHO POOPED IN THE HOUSE..he KNOWS as soon as I walk in the door what my reaction will be..

Old 10-19-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
No - not wishful thinking.

It is faith in God revealing Himself in the Bible. It is faith in Jesus Christ and His death and resurrection for our sins. It is faith concerning the internal testimony of the Holy Spirit to our conscience.
Is FAITH not also WISHFUL thinking...in fact anything not based on FACTS is considered WISHFUL thinking..Daddy always said wish in one hand and ***** in the other....it's all the same

Old 10-19-2016, 11:03 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is FAITH not also WISHFUL thinking...in fact anything not based on FACTS is considered WISHFUL thinking..Daddy always said wish in one hand and ***** in the other....it's all the same
I thought it was "Pray in one hand and sh*t in the other"?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Imo, this book has made it impossible for Christians to be intellectually honest.
well, it is maybe that the Book is spiritually denied to people now, just like It was physically denied them for hundreds of years. But i certainly agree with you there, even though that is not universal, it is common, possibly even the default, in Established US/Western Christianity, anyway. But again, anyone studying the Bible finds support for this in many, many places. It is not a secret. It is obviously a part of the plan. Does it make sense to us? No, but then we want Jesus to come and put on an earthly crown, and remove this terrible, awful free will from us, huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity