Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 11:13 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You will find me presenting my perceptions of the Spirit's guidance as the points come up. If you have a specific question, I will be happy to give you my perception.. If YOU will check out and try to confoerm to the qualites of the Spirit taught by Jesus, we will have no trouble working it out. The guidelines have been given for YOU to work out.
I guess I'm just wondering if you believe you possess the truth and others are woefully misguided, why you don't have some kind of a publication or reference you share with them? It would seem to be a good way to evangelize...instead of arguing one point at a time for time immemorial, why not have a handout or your own sort of "gospel tract" that you could refer people to?

It's just an honest question. I refer to the Bible and share it with people all the time. So surely it would help your witness to have a reference to share with people about what you believe, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
There are things taught by Jesus and the apostles that liberals clearly have a problem with. Those include repentance, substitutionary atonement and judgement.
There are things taught by Jesus and the apostles that evangelicals clearly have a problem with. These include MERCY, LOVE. ACCEPTANCE, FORGIVENESS, MEEKNESS, HUMILITY, CARING FOR NEIGHBORS, PROVIDING FOR THE MARGINALIZED, PEACE over WAR, SERVICE OVER WEALTH, and JESUS being more important than the bible..

Old 10-13-2016, 12:31 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
There are things taught by Jesus and the apostles that evangelicals clearly have a problem with. These include MERCY, LOVE. ACCEPTANCE, FORGIVENESS, MEEKNESS, HUMILITY, CARING FOR NEIGHBORS, PROVIDING FOR THE MARGINALIZED, PEACE over WAR, SERVICE OVER WEALTH, and JESUS being more important than the bible..
If that was true, we wouldn't spend so much time, money and effort serving our fellow-man. My church runs a food pantry, after school care for at-risk kids, we give coats, toys and food to the poor during the holidays, we operate a benevolence ministry, we do minor home improvements for the poor and elderly, etc.

You are incorrect.

Now, tell me you have no problem with John 3:16 (all of it).

Old 10-13-2016, 12:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
If that was true, we wouldn't spend so much time, money and effort serving our fellow-man. My church runs a food pantry, after school care for at-risk kids, we give coats, toys and food to the poor during the holidays, we operate a benevolence ministry, we do minor home improvements for the poor and elderly, etc.

You are incorrect.

Now, tell me you have no problem with John 3:16 (all of it).

Be not like the Pharisee that stand on the corners thumping their chests...

Old 10-13-2016, 12:34 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Bible, when teamed up with the Holy Spirit, has the potential to reach unlimited depths of wisdom and knowledge about the unseen God to our souls and spirirts.

When the Bible is NOT teamed up with the Holy Spirit, there is the potential for responses like the one above.
I can just see the Holy Spirit sitting at the table reading the bible and learning all about God.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:35 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Repentance has been taught as part of living in community by every "liberal" I have seen posting here. "Substitutionary atonement is NOT clearly taught by Jesus and there has been conflict about that from the beginning. You KNOW this. Judgement is ALSO taught by all the "Liberals" I am aware of, but you don't like the perception of the consequences of that judgement we hold.

What is that word you used? "disingenuous?"
I know liberals cringe at these words from Jesus.

Matt. 26:28

Jesus said, "this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins."

Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
I know liberals cringe at these words from Jesus.

Matt. 26:28

Jesus said, "this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins."
No one that I know of is disputing the Atonement, it is the mechanics or process of that atonement that YOU believe to be necessary to believe for salvation that is in disppute. That verse fits ALL of the theories of Atonement, NONE of which is necessary to believe for salvation.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ooooo...a deepity...
I'm trying to think of an example of when a paperweight turned into a millstone. So far, nuthin.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:54 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,295 times
Quote:
No one that I know of is disputing the Atonement, it is the mechanics or process of that atonement that YOU believe to be necessary to believe for salvation that is in disppute. That verse fits ALL of the theories of Atonement, NONE of which is necessary to believe for salvation.
How does this verse fit in your theory?

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Whew.. condemned.. such fear tactics by the apostle John, not even invitational in nature!

Glad we have people like you now that have a more mild approach, a more benign way of sharing the "story" (let's not call it Word of God lest we offend people by that title) of how God loves us, with a sincere humble effort to show how wrong behavior (let's be careful not to use the "s" word!) can hurt the person.. here's your quote (from another topic by the way):

Quote:
And the point pcamps makes is that concentrating on sin is REactive and most often counterproductive in the WAY it is taught, while PROactive emphasis on LOVE as the reason for active participationin community with God and man is INVITATIONAL in nature and more productive in guidance in our walk than constant attention to "sin."

Old 10-13-2016, 02:16 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
How does this verse fit in your theory?

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Whew.. condemned.. such fear tactics by the apostle John, not even invitational in nature!

Glad we have people like you now that have a more mild approach, a more benign way of sharing the "story" (let's not call it Word of God lest we offend people by that title) of how God loves us, with a sincere humble effort to show how wrong behavior (let's be careful not to use the "s" word!) can hurt the person.. here's your quote (from another topic by the way):
There is no condemnation other than the condemnation that is part and parcel of being sin conscious instead of being God conscious. Bible fundamentalists are working against God and they don't know it, they have are holding the world accountable over a barrel of condemnation of sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity