Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:09 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,994,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
At least he is willing to acknowledge when he has stepped over the line...

On "Bull****" and "Pansy-Assed" - Slog - The Stranger

"I would like to apologize for describing that walk out as a pansy-assed move. I wasn't calling the handful of students who left pansies (2800+ students, most of them Christian, stayed and listened), just the walk-out itself. But that's a distinction without a difference—kinda like when religious conservatives tells their gay friends that they "love the sinner, hate the sin." They're often shocked when their gay friends get upset because, hey, they were making a distinction between the person (lovable!) and the person's actions (not so much!). But gay people feel insulted by "love the sinner, hate the sin" because it is insulting. Likewise, my use of "pansy-assed" was insulting, it was name-calling, and it was wrong. And I apologize for saying it..."

There's more. It's worth reading.
His apology seems to be insincere. He knew the audience and to use that kind of language and try to defend what is a clear Biblical teachings is inexcusable.

The homosexual community feels insulted by any rejection of their lifestyle and having it called a sin. Love the sinner and hat the sin is a perfectly good way to express the Christian view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 11:10 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That is debatable. You say it doesn't affect us so we shouldn't care? It very much DOES affect us when laws are changed and society redefines things we hold dear.
How does it affect you negatively, Viz?

Quote:
I never claimed to be perfect. I'm saying that it's ok to disagree and still be friends.
You claim to be perfect in that you said you NEVER use profanity or call people names, while getting upset with people for disagreeing with you.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:12 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,994,816 times
Quote:
No, he's not attacking (present tense) people. He acknowledges that, in that instance, he stepped over the line and he apologized for those comments. (You believe in forgiveness for those who ask it, but not for him?) What he does, present tense, is attack faulty arguments and hypocrisy.

Certainly you are not saying that conservative Christians (including yourself) never disagree with or attack other people's ideas, beliefs, or arguments?

Disagreeing is not attacking.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
His apology seems to be insincere. He knew the audience and to use that kind of language and try to defend what is a clear Biblical teachings is inexcusable.

The homosexual community feels insulted by any rejection of their lifestyle and having it called a sin. Love the sinner and hat the sin is a perfectly good way to express the Christian view.
It is insulting. But, it's well beyond just insult ... there is actual injury involved.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Disagreeing is not attacking.
Semantics.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
k, well i wouldn't get it twisted, homosexuals were being oppressed, by people calling themselves Christians, and although the pendulum will swing now so as to reflect even the militant ones, i think for the most part these people were just seeking equality, equal treatment. You might be fighting God here.
I don't think this post should be overlooked, but it has been.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:53 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
How does it affect you negatively, Viz?

How does what, exactly?

I'm a citizen of this country. I have a right to have input in the political process and the laws we have.

Quote:

You claim to be perfect in that you said you NEVER use profanity or call people names, while getting upset with people for disagreeing with you.
He has a right to disagree with me. You do, as well. But it's hypocritical to bully people and use profanities to protest bullying.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:09 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
sometimes the bully needs to get his azz kicked.
and It may just be a friend that has to do it.
weird people don't get it.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How does what, exactly?

I'm a citizen of this country. I have a right to have input in the political process and the laws we have.
How does anyone being gay, or having laws which protect them and their rights, negatively impact you?

Quote:
He has a right to disagree with me. You do, as well. But it's hypocritical to bully people and use profanities to protest bullying.
Yes, we've been through this. It's great that you are perfect in this regard. Not everyone, including conservative Christians, are so perfect. The man acknowledged that his comments in this video were out of line, and apologized.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
How does anyone being gay, or having laws which protect them and their rights, negatively impact you?
He already told you, it negatively impacts things he "holds dear." The fact that the things he "holds dear" negatively impact others in very real ways for NO good reason is not a factor to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity