Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 08:36 PM

481 posts, read 263,162 times

Advertisements

I have my ideas on this, they may not be your ideas, but you have as much right to your opinion as I do.

So, to make my ideas more interesting I will use the Bible as a reference book.

Everything that the Bible condemns, and is still in your religion, makes that religion non Christian, IMO.

I would appreciate your comments on this subject matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 08:40 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
The Bible neither approves nor condemns everything it records.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
What determines a religion as Christian?

Christianity is Sycretistic in nature.
Therefore, it's rather subjective.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:15 AM

481 posts, read 263,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Do you mean that every Christian religion is Christian according to the Bible? or are they only declared Christian according to mankind.

I would suggest that there are certain requirements for A belief to be "Christian" or Christ like.

The interpretation of the Bible is varied and rather expansive depending who is translating or interpreting, but if we consider that three is only one truth, many wont and believe that there are many truths or many religions leading to the same place.

If we are agreed to speak about the Gospel of Jesus, and the things that he passed on to the disciples and later the gentiles we may be able to determine what is good and what is not.

Also including the Hebrew scriptures the Bible will show that all through book it leads up to the final outcome for faithful Christians.

we need a starting point, does anyone have a good place to start. Maybe the book of Genesis and look at the original purpose for mankind's creation, however , so that I do not get labeled as a bully or some other silly name, I will look at other suggestions.

we can't get away form the fact that man is of the three Rs, Reasonable (Able to reason) Rational, (able to apply logic) and religious. Since history began, mankind has been seeking an afterlife, or a place to live out their death. Jesus's ministry lasted for only 3 years and he made a great impression on the world with the new means of salvation, which was his sacrifice on the stake for the sins we inherited from Adam.

If you look at the ministry of Jesus and his disciples and the apostles of later who also included the Gentiles as the Israelites of the Hebrew scriptures had lost all right to maintain favor with Jehovah, yu will see that the Gospel was not a set of laws, and there was only a couple of things that Jesus said should be followed. One being "love one and other".

Over.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:06 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
Religion definition means to ``return , to bind `` .... So people turn and bind to God is their religion , and to be a Christian , one needs to turn to the authorship of Jesus Christ , and repent and be re-born into the spirit of Christ and repentance of water , and love God , and be selflessness to all man and God ...........The bible is were all Words of God will be for faith in God , as no Gods Word , there is no faith , were the New Testament is the cornerstone for belief if Christ , but the Old Testament is there as reference to the beginnings of God interaction with man which brought Christianity to life ........Christians need to be like Jesus , and have a interaction with God as God spirit abided of Jesus and now God spirit abides on Christians , and then Jesus even had miracles , Christians can have miracles by the gifts of Holy spirit , God is alive in Christians ,...... and not just a conjecture of ideas from the Holy book for passions of the heart like other religions on the world have

Old 09-17-2016, 10:12 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
we can't get away form the fact that man is of the three Rs, Reasonable (Able to reason) Rational, (able to apply logic) and religious. Since history began, mankind has been seeking an afterlife, or a place to live out their death.
You make a good case here, imo, for a more comprehensive definition of "religion," which i currently perceive as "man's attempts to reach God."
(iow "cannot succeed") i religiously drink a cup of coffee every morning.

And are you sure all men conform to the three Rs? Do you have an argument that i could read for this? ty

Old 09-17-2016, 10:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:

nothing. christian is a self-given label that has zero meaning outside the bible.

ALL major religions are reflections of each other.

They only differ by the person the religion venerates...

Old 09-17-2016, 10:48 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
I have my ideas on this, they may not be your ideas, but you have as much right to your opinion as I do.

Everything that the Bible condemns, and is still in your religion, makes that religion non Christian, IMO.

In my opinion, my religion follows the Bible and does nothing the Bible condemns. In your opinion, I'm wrong about that. At the end of the day, though, the Bible never actually defines the word "Christian," but Jesus Christ did say that people would be able to recognize His followers through the love they showed. Aside from looking to Jesus Christ for salvation, I would have to say that living the way He taught us to live is the most important quality a true Christian must have. The scriptures can and have been interpreted in a variety of ways. I believe that God is more concerned with the condition of our hearts than He is with the specifics of how we interpret scripture.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-17-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-17-2016, 12:20 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,102 times
Quote:

I would not go as far as you and claim that anything you do that the Bible condemns means you are non Christian.

Acts 11: 26 ... And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The early disciples were wrong on a lot of things, some of which is still going on today. Yet God still named them Christians. It is only one religion, and only one church.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:

Quote:
Do you mean that every Christian religion is Christian according to the Bible? or are they only declared Christian according to mankind.

I would suggest that there are certain requirements for A belief to be "Christian" or Christ like.

The interpretation of the Bible is varied and rather expansive depending who is translating or interpreting, but if we consider that three is only one truth, many wont and believe that there are many truths or many religions leading to the same place.

If we are agreed to speak about the Gospel of Jesus, and the things that he passed on to the disciples and later the gentiles we may be able to determine what is good and what is not.

Also including the Hebrew scriptures the Bible will show that all through book it leads up to the final outcome for faithful Christians.

we need a starting point, does anyone have a good place to start. Maybe the book of Genesis and look at the original purpose for mankind's creation, however , so that I do not get labeled as a bully or some other silly name, I will look at other suggestions.

we can't get away form the fact that man is of the three Rs, Reasonable (Able to reason) Rational, (able to apply logic) and religious. Since history began, mankind has been seeking an afterlife, or a place to live out their death. Jesus's ministry lasted for only 3 years and he made a great impression on the world with the new means of salvation, which was his sacrifice on the stake for the sins we inherited from Adam.

If you look at the ministry of Jesus and his disciples and the apostles of later who also included the Gentiles as the Israelites of the Hebrew scriptures had lost all right to maintain favor with Jehovah, yu will see that the Gospel was not a set of laws, and there was only a couple of things that Jesus said should be followed. One being "love one and other".

Over.
Syncretism is the combining or blending of various beliefs together, which is consistent within Christianity.
Some merely disregard one thing in favor of another, but it's only a variation of what is still grey matter.

There is nothing different in the overall scheme of Man's ideologies, when it comes to exalting themselves.
However, a good starting point would be 1 Corinthians 13, Galatians 5, and the sermon on the mount.

Or that of loving one-another without all the self-righteousness, and condemnations.
Personally, I do not believe sin is inherited: It's the path one chooses for themselves.

Attempting to persuade others that they are nothing but filthy-rags headed for destruction.
Isn't what I would call being a true Christian, as it merely leads to self-condemnation.

Fear seems to be the motivator that passes out it's judgments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity