Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 04:06 PM

134 posts, read 59,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
NONE of which has anything to do with changing theology, but of the unchanging nature of God. If you are to converse intelligently, you NEED to keep track of the focus of the conversation.
Why would God change his theology unless he was changed himself? God is a Spirit, which as I understand it, is a living being that is conscience and powerful To change his theology he would have to change his conscience, which is himself. If you want to believe the bible theology changes, go ahead. I don't have to believe it just because you do. I'm not your God and your not mine.

Last edited by Daingerfield; 11-19-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-19-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You still need to do a bit more study...
I studied enough to know they believed differently from the Apostles and were not part of the Jerusalem church and at least some Christians considered them heretics. Lost interest after that. It makes me wonder how many versions of Christianity existed even in the first century.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:38 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daingerfield View Post
I studied enough to know they believed differently from the Apostles and were not part of the Jerusalem church and at least some Christians considered them heretics. Lost interest after that. It makes me wonder how many versions of Christianity existed even in the first century.
We know that Revelation was written in the knowledge of gentile pagans going back to their paganism.

After the Jewish 7 year war, it would be a very grave danger to look like a Jew in any way, and you are a Christian caught keeping Passover instead of Easter?

You paid the Jewish tax, and not only were your neighbors against you for rejecting other gods, you would have been in grave danger and done like most people would do. If you told somebody that Tishri 15th was set up for the day of Christ birth, and he had to be circumcised on the 8th day on Shimini Atzeret, would they stop keeping Christmas and begin keeping Sukkot?

I got my mother to stop for about 2 years, she hid it for about 3 years, and things just went back to the way they were and we aren't threatened by death for keeping the feasts of Christ, and yet we don't.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Why would God change his theology unless he was changed himself? God is a Spirit, which as I understand it, is a living being that is conscience and powerful To change his theology he would have to change his conscience, which is himself. If you want to believe the bible theology changes, go ahead. I don't have to believe it just because you do. I'm not your God and your not mine.
The theology is not God's but man's. Why would God need theology, He's God? Seriously, conversing with you is like sailing in uncharted waters.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The theology is not God's but man's. Why would God need theology, He's God? Seriously, conversing with you is like sailing in uncharted waters.
Nobody is making you converse with me. I said God does not change and the bible (Gods word) does not change. Malachi 3:6 -- Mathew 24:35. "You" said Theology changes. I said the theology in the bible does not change. That should be obvious to any rational human being. If you choose to believe different, then good for you. I really don't care what you believe. We can agree to disagree, other wise you just want to argue. What's the point in that?

Last edited by Daingerfield; 11-20-2016 at 03:14 AM..

Old 11-20-2016, 02:32 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Nobody is making you converse with me. I said God does not change and the bible (Gods word) does not change. Malachi 3:6 -- Mathew 24:35. That should be obvious to any rational human being. If you choose to believe different, then good for you. I really don't care what you believe. We can agree to disagree, other wise you just want to argue.
6 For I, the Lord, have not changed; and you, the sons of Jacob, have not reached the end.

Rashi's Commentary:

For I, the Lord, have not changed: Although I keep back My anger for a long time, My mind has not changed from the way it was originally, to love evil and to hate good.

and you, the sons of Jacob: Although you die in your evil, and I have not requited the wicked in their lifetime

you have not reached the end: You are not finished from before Me, for I have left over the souls to be requited in Gehinnom. And so did Jonathan render. And you of the House of Jacob, who think that whoever dies in this world, his verdict has already ended, that is to say, you think that My verdict has been nullified, that he will no longer be punished. Our Sages (Sotah 9a), however, explained it: לֹא שָׁנִיתִי - I did not strike a nation and repeat a blow to it; but as for you, I have kept you up after much punishment, and My arrows are ended, but you are not ended.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
We know that Revelation was written in the knowledge of gentile pagans going back to their paganism.

After the Jewish 7 year war, it would be a very grave danger to look like a Jew in any way, and you are a Christian caught keeping Passover instead of Easter?

You paid the Jewish tax, and not only were your neighbors against you for rejecting other gods, you would have been in grave danger and done like most people would do. If you told somebody that Tishri 15th was set up for the day of Christ birth, and he had to be circumcised on the 8th day on Shimini Atzeret, would they stop keeping Christmas and begin keeping Sukkot?

I got my mother to stop for about 2 years, she hid it for about 3 years, and things just went back to the way they were and we aren't threatened by death for keeping the feasts of Christ, and yet we don't.
Interesting to hear from someone Jewish. You mentioned Tishri 15 as Christ's birth. I often wondered about that, but you are the first person to mention it to me. I don't personally know any Jews or any Synagogues and only know about feast days from bible study. Based on the timing of John the Baptist conception , plus 6 months, would be good timing for Christ birth. and maybe clear up some confusion as to why Jesus was not born in a house.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
6 For I, the Lord, have not changed; and you, the sons of Jacob, have not reached the end.

Rashi's Commentary:

For I, the Lord, have not changed: Although I keep back My anger for a long time, My mind has not changed from the way it was originally, to love evil and to hate good.

and you, the sons of Jacob: Although you die in your evil, and I have not requited the wicked in their lifetime

you have not reached the end: You are not finished from before Me, for I have left over the souls to be requited in Gehinnom. And so did Jonathan render. And you of the House of Jacob, who think that whoever dies in this world, his verdict has already ended, that is to say, you think that My verdict has been nullified, that he will no longer be punished. Our Sages (Sotah 9a), however, explained it: לֹא שָׁנִיתִי - I did not strike a nation and repeat a blow to it; but as for you, I have kept you up after much punishment, and My arrows are ended, but you are not ended.
Thanks Richard

Old 11-20-2016, 03:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Thanks Richard
Sure...I give this from the actual Torah, because the Christian Old Testament is a edited version of the Torah...

Old 11-20-2016, 07:23 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
Quote:
Jesus told his accusers he was the Son of God. They said he blasphemed God by making himself God. They knew being THE SON OF GOD implied deity that only belonged to God himself. Jesus also said before Abraham was I AM, referring to himself. And he said I and the Father are one. When God's voice / logos became flesh, that logos was recognized as God speaking. Jesus is the spoken word of God, recognized as God, living in the flesh. If you are carnal and you look at Jesus you see a man. If you are spiritual you can see through the veil of flesh and see God. Jesus was not God all by himself. He was MADE God by his Father. He could do no works of his own self, but God GAVE him all power in heaven and Earth.

The Bible as we call it, is a collection of Holy writings, some of which existed at least as far back as Moses.

Buddhists worship Buddha.

Muslim Islamists worship the Devil who pretends to be God. This should be obvious.

Jesus told certain people that they were healed and their sins forgiven, but the Father did it through him and chose who was to be healed and saved.
Okay, I see what you are saying, Dainger, it is an intriguing point and question about scripture. Admittedly, I'm no theologian and a lot of in depth theologian questions, points, and jargon are out of my "pay grade" so to speak.

I respect theology like I respect philosophy, they help you to think more clearly, and theology is really just religious philosophy. For the most part at least. But theology and philosophy are not something I'm overly interested in--for good or ill.

I will have to ask an Orthodox priest one day about the comment attributed to Jesus.

I lean on the Church, Holy Mother Church of Orthodoxy, so, if Mother Church says Jesus is God then "Amen."

I'm just a spoke in the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity