Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 01:10 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
Romans 9 is not referring to personal, individual justification/salvation. It is referring to God's corporate plan for Israel. When God says in 9:13 that He loved Jacob and hated Esau, He wasn't saying that He chose to save Jacob and leave Esau under condemnation. He was saying that He chose Jacob to be the descendent of Abraham through whom both the nation Israel and the Messiah would come. In other words, Jacob and Esau are not being focused on as individuals, but as nations. Both Jacob and Esau are the fathers of nations. If you'll refer to Genesis 25:21-23 you'll see that Jacob and Esau, both of whom have not yet been born, but are still in Rebekah's womb, are referred to as nations.

And considering the fact that God blessed Esau in many ways over the years, I believe that he was a believer and therefore eternally saved.
But that violates the fundamentalist position of taking Scripture literally. Yet here you deviate from that idea because it is convenient for you.

What this argument shows is that there are a host of interpretations for many verses of Scripture.Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-11-2016 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 09:41 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
Romans 9 is not referring to personal, individual justification/salvation. It is referring to God's corporate plan for Israel. When God says in 9:13 that He loved Jacob and hated Esau, He wasn't saying that He chose to save Jacob and leave Esau under condemnation. He was saying that He chose Jacob to be the descendent of Abraham through whom both the nation Israel and the Messiah would come. In other words, Jacob and Esau are not being focused on as individuals, but as nations. Both Jacob and Esau are the fathers of nations. If you'll refer to Genesis 25:21-23 you'll see that Jacob and Esau, both of whom have not yet been born, but are still in Rebekah's womb, are referred to as nations.
And considering the fact that God blessed Esau in many ways over the years, I believe that he was a believer and therefore eternally saved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
But that violates the fundamentalist position of taking Scripture literally. Yet here you deviate from that idea because it is convenient for you.
What this argument shows is that there are a host of interpretations for many verses of Scripture. But, of course, we understand that only YOUR interpretation deserves consideration!

Old 11-06-2016, 11:41 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,840 times
Default What's Really Meant

Merit in obeying God but never any merit cause we ever perfect.

Merit in cross atonement to be saved.

Salvation in obeying God but never salvation cause we never perfect.

Salvation in cross atonement to be saved.

Look at Christianity like unemployment insurance.

Doing the right thing merits your ability to get grace with unemployment money.

You never get unemployment money cause you have a perfect life ever with no problems.

Grace with unemployment money is the insurance promise with conditions to be met.

Guarantees are guarantees but so are conditions actually conditions----John 8:32.

If people we're experts mastering this they would be spiritual giants in God----John 8:32.

If John 3:16 is a promise so is John 8:31 actually a condition.

If Romans 10:9 is a promise so is John 3:5 actually a condition.

A promise is not going to void out a condition but a condition can void out a promise.

This is how insurance works whether we talking unemployment insurance or Allstate Insurance.

John 3:16 is not going to void out John 8:31 but John 8:31 can void out John 3:16 from being lived out by people.

Romans 3:21 is not going to void out Matthew 5:17-20 but Matthew 5:17-20 can void out
Romans 3:21 from being lived out by people.

Salvation in Christianity is no different then unemployment insurance or Allstate Insurance.

The promise of a claim check is not going to void out what insurance doesn't cover.

What insurance doesn't cover will void out a promise.

Compare this to Romans 6:1.

The promise of heaven is not going to void out repentance to go to heaven.

Repentance to go to heaven can void out a promise to go to heaven even if your a cross atonement
believer to go to heaven.

Compare this to John 8:31.

The promise of heaven if you continue in God is not going to void out the outcome if you don't continue
in God.

If you don't continue in God to go to heaven then that can void out the promise to go to heaven even if your a cross atonement believer to go to heaven.

Hope to make noise to attract real bible believers together outside of this forum.

Amos 3:3 and John 8:31 and 2 Cor. 6 and John 17:21 and Psalms 133:1.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:06 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
The son of man says; "Your light must shine before men so they will see your good works and glorify your heavenly Father."

Old 11-06-2016, 12:20 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,840 times
Default So the answer to this question is TRICKY ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
The son of man says; "Your light must shine before men so they will see your good works and glorify your heavenly Father."

Works is the book but works can be heresy works if we not careful.

Understanding of this bible subject matter is the KEY ?

Better yet ENOUGH UNDERSTANDING of this bible subject matter ?

Old 11-10-2016, 03:21 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,440 times
Well I finally can post again

Katzpur I don't see much of a point in continuing this discussion. To me it seems that when the Bible contradicts the ideas of Mormonism, you put those ideas above the plain testimony of the Scriptures. Maybe when you recognise the authority of the Bible above any other source we can have a fruitful conversation.

God bless you

Old 11-10-2016, 09:01 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Well I finally can post again
I didn't realize you'd taken a "vacation."

Quote:
Katzpur I don't see much of a point in continuing this discussion.
That's fine with me. We can talk or not.

Quote:
To me it seems that when the Bible contradicts the ideas of Mormonism, you put those ideas above the plain testimony of the Scriptures.
So far, this has never happened, so it's a moot point. Besides, "scripture" is defined as "any writing or book of a sacred or religious nature." Your "scriptures" are simply more limited than mine. You have one book which testifies of Jesus Christ as the Son of God and the Redeemer of mankind, whereas I have four.

Quote:
Maybe when you recognise the authority of the Bible above any other source we can have a fruitful conversation.
I will never recognize the authority of the Bible above the authority of God himself, so it appears as if we have nothing more to say to one another.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:43 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Moderator cut: warning

Thread has been moderated and I strongly suggest some of you need a coffee break and cooling down time

Old 11-11-2016, 01:57 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,088 times
my apologies, certainly didn't mean to be...any of those things you said up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity