U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:56 AM

9,780 posts, read 6,772,843 times

Advertisements

I assume I identify as a Roman Catholic. In my younger years of life seldomly attended Church with family; one holiday mass every year or so & funerals. Most of my Catholic experience came from school. I attended Catholic school from Kindergarten to 12th grade, about 13 to 14 years of my life. That's where I explored my Catholic life attending masses, prayers, confessions, and so forth. After finishing high school can look at it as the ropes were untied from the dock and the ship was set adrift.

I dabbled here and there with Catholicism. At one point during a difficult time considered the Vocation of Priesthood. I have difficulty understanding the Doctrine of the Church.

I don't know if it's the reason that pulls me away or makes it difficult for me to continue my commit to the Church. I commit myself to God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Go off on a tangent and promise to return to original question. I am debating if Roman Catholicism is for me. Feel abandoning God if I seek out other Christian Denominations.

Back to the topic. I have difficulty accepting stance on Honsexuality. I want to love others as God loves us all. I can't understand why many Catholics feel because it's in the Bible that God does not want those who like the same gender in the Church. It feels it's individuals interpreting God's word to their own.

I can't promise that I can commit to Church every Sunday or Saturday evening. I would do my best, but I rather be less in Church..instead rather be with the members enabling the life of Christmas helping others through volunteer work in the community.

Interacting with wonderful individuals of Roman Catholics had a discussion about forgiveness. They believe God does not forgive everything. However, I feel that God will forgive all if you ask and open your heart to God. I feel if Judah asked for forgiveness God would of welcomed one of God's children back.

I don't agree with various sins by the Church such as intimate relationships prior to marriage.

I like to explore other religions like Buddhism feel it complements my Catholic Faith.

I am seeking direction. I feel I am a sheep with a Sheppard watching over me but no flock. I want to look for a flock; Unsure if Roman Catholicism is for me or another Denomination of Christianity?

I appreciate any response or spiritual advice can give.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:03 AM

21,090 posts, read 27,375,312 times
Seems I remeber Jesus saying something about having other "flocks?"

"Master," said John, "we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us."

"Do not stop him," Jesus said, "for whoever is not against you is for you."

Old 11-02-2016, 09:35 AM

19,943 posts, read 16,024,984 times
I would suggest that if you came here for direction you're going to be tossed in about 15 different directions. <snip>

I'd suggest finding a Baptist, or a "Bible" church in your area and making an appointment to go talk to the pastor. You'd likely get a lot more out of it.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-02-2016 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: deleted the attack on other beliefs

Old 11-02-2016, 09:50 AM

17,071 posts, read 9,779,370 times
You are in a difficult situation as far as expression and channeling of your faith. Clearly there is a lot that the Catholic faith teaches that you don't buy into, but I get that you have that strong Catholic teaching that that denomination is the one Jesus set up and to go elsewhere is a departure from Jesus and all that He stands for. Your choice seems to be to stay in formal fellowship in the Catholic religion in spite of your disagreement or to find a church where those things are not taught. I think that I would suggest that you check into Episcopalian Churches as being in communion with the Catholic Church and having much the same structure and elements of worship as well as opportunities to express your faith in actions to help others.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:20 AM

41,631 posts, read 22,828,527 times
Submit your issue to prayer/meditation.

Go visit some churches.

See where God is working among the people.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:01 PM

9,372 posts, read 8,961,190 times
Jesus said ``My sheep hear my voice ``...... It is also believed that Jesus disciple heard Jesus voice and believed what He said , as Jesus told Peter `` Simon son of Jonah, you are happy because you did not learn this from man , My Father in heaven has shown you this ``...............See to embrace a life with God the Sheppard is to obey what God says , and not to go off and follow other religions which the Israelites did have strange gods , BUT follow Jesus by doing what He says which will make you a child of God .......Like Jesus said Repent , then repent of sin ..Jesus said obey my commands , then obey them , Jesus said don`t be selfish , then don`t be selfish . Jesus said be born again in His spirit , then get born again in Jesus spirit seek out the face of God by obedience which make God your Sheppard .....

Old 11-02-2016, 04:11 PM

9,576 posts, read 4,363,846 times
Don't seek to be one with a flock, seek to be one with Him. Churches are like filling stations. You take what you need from wherever they are at in their understanding, and in due season, you move with the Spirit to receive more. Never get so attached you can't move with the Spirit; you'll miss all He has for you. Peace

Old 11-02-2016, 05:28 PM

28,433 posts, read 9,968,413 times
Follow the good parts of atheist, christian, buddhism, hindu, tao, and many others. All of the good parts are the same thing. Human spirit, spirit of the wolf, chi, and holy spirit are all the same thing.

just remember, if it moves, there was a force (F=ma) applied. There is no magic. The recent discoveries now point to "something" as a more rational belief than "lack belief in anything".

stay away from literal anything, If any belief (or lack of belief) tells you "faith" before "commonsense" run away.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:52 PM

32,524 posts, read 35,140,796 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote and response

OP:After spending two minutes looking at your posts...I suggest you concentrate on so-called 'liberal' churches.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-02-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 07:03 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,429,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Nice, Rbbi1. hey, i memorized your name finally, sorry.

ya, go find your Right Pastor,

and if he doesn't know that she is a pastor, you don't have to tell her. him.

ya, and beautiful are the feet, you have to keep hearing. a good test i've found, is ask the old one for a new one, and see what happens then. look for ones that...well, just look.
i mean even if you have a new one already
i wouldn't be going on suggestions anyway-
but i would take the old guy's suggestion
for whatever it may be worth. lol.

how could one do that up front, to find out? oh i know, ask your prospect (until you figure out how Right Pastor comes, i mean...this is saving you years, btw, it's prolly even cheating
you out of the experience...ya, i can't tell you dang, sorry)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity