Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 02:19 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post
There are several errors Matt 27:9-10

“Then was fulfilled what had been said through Jeremiah the prophet,* “And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the value of a man with a price on his head, a price set by some of the Israelites,10d and they paid it out for the potter’s field just as the Lord had commanded me.”

New American Bible Revised Edition footnote; Matt 27:9 -10* [27:9–10] Cf. Mt 26:15. “Matthew’s attributing this text to Jeremiah is puzzling, for there is no such text in that book, and the thirty pieces of silver thrown by Judas “into the temple” (Mt 27:5) recall rather Zec 11:12–13.”

There seems to be yet another error here. First of all, there is no such prophecy in Jeremiah which Matthew (was inspired ???) to claim about throwing blood money into the Temple.

There is mention in Zachariah of thirty pieces of silver being thrown into the Temple but this is a wage dispute, not a betrayal.

Regarding the report of the use of “pieces of silver.” Coinage had replaced “pieces of silver” about 400 years earlier. Both the Romans and the Jewish used them; the Seckel and the Denarius.

Matthew make a number of supposedly divinely inspired errors both with prophecy and history.
The (hidden) potter in Jeremiah

"Go down at once to the potter's house; there I will reveal My words to you."

Jeremiah 18 Parallel Chapters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 02:37 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
If something is written after the fact, and then claimed to be a prophecy made before the fact, clearly it isn't a prophecy.
Quoting Matthew 1:23 "There he made his home in a town called Nazareth, so that what had been spoken] through the prophets might be fulfilled, “He will be called a Nazorean.”
But the reality is that there is no such prophecy in the Old Testament. In fact, there is no mention of Nazareth at all in the Old Testament.
Matthew 2:23 ( not 1:23 ) is in connection to the prophecies of Isaiah 11:1; 53:2; Jeremiah 23:5 and Zechariah 3:8
The reasoning is: Nazarene from the Hebrew: Notsri, and Greek: Nazoraios . The Hebrew "Ne'tser" means sprout,
(branch KJV) then, figuratively as meaning Jesus as offspring.

Modern scholars thus identify Nazareth with En Nasira ( Nazerat ) in Galilee.
Some even identify Luke 4:29 with a rocky cliff some 40 feet high located south west of En Nasira.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:25 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnDzFX_8uyw

Old 11-09-2016, 08:59 AM

692 posts, read 375,389 times
Default Did Jesus intend to found a new church?

Jesus considered himself to be an end time prophet who would soon return during the life time of generation.
(Matt. 10:23; 16:27-28; 24:33-34; Luke 21:22, 28, 31.

Jesus also insisted that that Jewish Law would continue until heaven and earth passed away.

Matt 5:17-18 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.”

Therefore, there would be no reason to start a new church. And in fact, the word “church” did not exist in Jesus’ time.

In fact, the word “church” didn’t exist in Jesus’ day. It is Old English and German in origin. It was added later by Christian scripture copyists to replace the word "ecclesia" which appears 115 times in scripture.

The word “ecclesia” meant an assembly (those “called out”) originally by the city of Athens which held political power.

The "church" translation was added much later, and once again, since end times were believed to be imminent, Jesus would not be expected to try to found a new church.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:38 AM

Default The Pentecost story, what do we learn from it?

The Pentecost account appears in the writings of Luke. It is found in the Acts of the Apostles. Apparently the approximate date of this writing is the early 80’s since Acts still portrays Jesus as the Messiah but does not yet seem to have divine power himself.

Pentecost of the New Testament is the Shavuot of the Old Testament or the feast of Weeks, a prominent feast in the calendar of ancient Israel celebrating the giving of the Law to Moses at Sinai. Many Jews were drawn to Jerusalem for the celebration.

Acts 2:22-24 Peter’s address to the crowd:

“You who are Israelites, hear these words. Jesus the Nazorean was a man commended to you by God with mighty deeds, wonders, and signs, which God worked through him in your midst, as you yourselves know. This man, delivered up by the set plan and foreknowledge of God, you killed, using lawless men to crucify him. But God raised him up, releasing him from the throes of death, because it was impossible for him to be held by it”

Note: God’s power, not Jesus’; worked the signs.
Note: Jesus was raised (passive) by God. He did not rise by his own power.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:33 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,759 times
Quote:
There are several errors Matt 27:9-10

“Then was fulfilled what had been said through Jeremiah the prophet,* “And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the value of a man with a price on his head, a price set by some of the Israelites,10d and they paid it out for the potter’s field just as the Lord had commanded me.”

New American Bible Revised Edition footnote; Matt 27:9 -10* [27:9–10] Cf. Mt 26:15. “Matthew’s attributing this text to Jeremiah is puzzling, for there is no such text in that book, and the thirty pieces of silver thrown by Judas “into the temple” (Mt 27:5) recall rather Zec 11:12–13.”

There seems to be yet another error here. First of all, there is no such prophecy in Jeremiah which Matthew (was inspired ???) to claim about throwing blood money into the Temple.

There is mention in Zachariah of thirty pieces of silver being thrown into the Temple but this is a wage dispute, not a betrayal.

Regarding the report of the use of “pieces of silver.” Coinage had replaced “pieces of silver” about 400 years earlier. Both the Romans and the Jewish used them; the Seckel and the Denarius.

Matthew make a number of supposedly divinely inspired errors both with prophecy and history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
The (hidden) potter in Jeremiah

"Go down at once to the potter's house; there I will reveal My words to you."

Jeremiah 18 Parallel Chapters
So then tell me, are you still puzzled here, or what.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
So then tell me, are you still puzzled here, or what.
RESPONSE:

No. I'm not puzzled. I recognize that Matthew made many errors in writing supposedly divinely scripture.

Matthew does particularly poorly when he tries to claim prophecy fulfillment, like Jesus sending for and riding the two animals when entering Jerusalem so Jesus could fulfill an OT prophecy.

But the biggest mystery is what happened to all those resurrected individuals who showed themselves to the many people in Jerusalem following the crucifixion, with no one, not even the other gospel writers, recording such an event.

Last edited by Aristotles child; 11-09-2016 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-09-2016, 11:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Jesus considered himself to be an end time prophet who would soon return during the life time of generation.
(Matt. 10:23; 16:27-28; 24:33-34; Luke 21:22, 28, 31.

Jesus also insisted that that Jewish Law would continue until heaven and earth passed away.

Matt 5:17-18 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.”

Therefore, there would be no reason to start a new church. And in fact, the word “church” did not exist in Jesus’ time.

In fact, the word “church” didn’t exist in Jesus’ day. It is Old English and German in origin. It was added later by Christian scripture copyists to replace the word "ecclesia" which appears 115 times in scripture.

The word “ecclesia” meant an assembly (those “called out”) originally by the city of Athens which held political power.

The "church" translation was added much later, and once again, since end times were believed to be imminent, Jesus would not be expected to try to found a new church.
The verse erads: Matt 5:17-18 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.”

In context the "all things" was his fulfilling his role as the Messiaen and savior. Once he died the law was fulfilled/taken place and it and the Nation as a special group ended. When a contract is fulfilled it ends. Just look up all the uses of the word fulfilled by Jesus in scripture.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The verse erads: Matt 5:17-18 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.”

In context the "all things" was his fulfilling his role as the Messiaen and savior. Once he died the law was fulfilled/taken place and it and the Nation as a special group ended. When a contract is fulfilled it ends. Just look up all the uses of the word fulfilled by Jesus in scripture.

RESPONSE: Not at all. Reread "until heaven and earth pass away," That's the "context".

Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
RESPONSE: Not at all. Reread "until heaven and earth pass away," That's the "context".
They would not pass away and they haven't. The fulfillment has occurred.

Matthew 5:17 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.

All the things have taken -place, been fulfilled. The Law served its purpose and is now fulfilled and done.

Last edited by expatCA; 11-09-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity