Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:02 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,193,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Thoughts?

1 Corinthians 7:3-5:
The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
So whose going to have the authority over the other when they don't agree on having sex that night.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,294,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm not sure it is open to interpretation; on the surface it sounds like a pep talk, but the subtext is that one person has carte blanche access to another person's body, and that "yes" overrides "no". That's a dangerous endorsement in the wrong hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
And that's your interpretation.
The problem, of course, is that it's the interpretation that some Christian men accept as God's directive, and yes, that can be dangerous. Not sure why you'd dismiss that so indifferently.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:13 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,282,318 times
Also how out of control would a man have to be if he has to go out for extra martial sex just because his wife was not willing to occasionally? It sounds like the only acceptable reason a person would have for not having sexual relations at any given time would be for time off for prayer. Physical, emotional or mental conditions of one party are of no importance to the other party, in my world that is worse for a marriage than cheating even would be (not knowing as I have never cheated in the over 40 years of being together).
Maybe I am not getting the context of this verse but it sounds more like the statement of a person who is not married or even intimate with a partner than one who has been. If it was meant to read like GoCardinals would like us to read it then it is extremely poorly worded.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:20 PM

19,743 posts, read 13,275,568 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
I believe that successful marriages are studies in negotiation and compromise and mutual indulgence. And that only works in the long run if both parties are committed to those concepts and feel that they are getting something positive in exchange for giving up some of the benefits of solitude and putting the effort into the relationship. It helps a lot if you know each other well enough to find you were pretty compatible to start with -- in terms of interests, sexuality, and a whole range of things. Which all pretty much flies in the face of Biblical advice, much of which is conflicting anyway. I mean, how can you take the Biblical advice to "live with each other in an understanding way" and then have ad hoc access to each other for sex on a whim?

In fairness, in my experience, most would-be evangelical marriage counselors temper the "do not defraud each other [of sex]" command with reasonable caveats. Even they have to get along with their own wives, after all ;-)

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-10-2016 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 06:46 AM

1,248 posts, read 817,475 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
As for that biblical quote in the original post, I have always been under the impression that this particular verse was written in order to combat the false idea of sex being dirty or "unspiritual", something unworthy of Christians. Paul basically says here: marital sex is good and pure, you should not deny it to your spouse out of musguided notions of chastity or sinlessness. Judging by the puritan and medieval Christian views of sexuality, it did not help very much.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-10-2016 at 05:48 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 06:59 AM

16,589 posts, read 15,515,175 times
I changed the title of this thread. Seeing "among" where "between" should have been was grating on my sensibilities like fingernails scraping on a chalkboard.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:17 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,422,192 times
Temporarily closed for moderation before moving to more suitable forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity