Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:17 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,088 times

Advertisements

should be a Witness for that, somewhere. I could infer it from about 3 Witnesses; can't think of a direct one. But the wording would be subtle in it, too. but ya, i like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 01:21 PM

23,157 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
…25All this I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:36 AM

678 posts, read 438,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, so the Bible (i.e. the KJV) tells us that "God is a Spirit."
what's the difference between the following?

(1) God
(2) God's Spirit
(3) the Spirit of God
(4) the Holy Spirit

Is God (i.e. #1) a spirit that has a spirit? (i.e. #2 and #3)?

Also, if God is spirit (and can obviously be described as "holy"), and
the Holy Spirit is God, what's the point of there being two spirits, both of whom are "holy"?
That common confusion/conundrun was solved for me in two ways:
just as Water can occur in three states: solid (ice), liquid, or gas (vapor),
so God can exist as Jesus in the flesh, plus God/Christ, plus as the Holy spirit.
iow God/Jesus Christ can take on all three forms in ONE entity.
This also explains how when as Jesus He lived amongst humanity, yet at the SAME time He was still God.
Further
because we in a mortal state can not comprehend God as He is; therefore God had to relate to us in terms we understand. These relationships being "father" plus "son"

and re HOLY - Jesus Christ as the only God, is holy, iow eternally Pure, no sin ever, Perfect.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:40 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
"Holy" is not about purity, it is about being set apart for God's PURPOSE which is love.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:09 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Okay, so the Bible (i.e. the KJV) tells us that "God is a Spirit." Some translations may omit the word "a." Some may have the word "spirit" in lower-case. So, if God is [a] spirit/Spirit, what's the difference between the following?

(1) God
(2) God's Spirit
(3) the Spirit of God
(4) the Holy Spirit

Which of these terms are synonyms and which are not?

Is God (i.e. #1) a spirit that has a spirit? (i.e. #2 and #3)?

Also, if God is spirit (and can obviously be described as "holy"), and the Holy Spirit is God, what's the point of there being two spirits, both of whom are "holy"?
Who among human beings, knows a man's inner thoughts except the man's own spirit within him?
In the same way, also, only God's Spirit is acquainted with God's inner thoughts.

So, I have to ask, "Are not my thoughts, Me?"

Old 01-14-2017, 01:48 PM

331 posts, read 167,904 times
Quote:
I guess one of the questions I'm asking is, "If God is a spirit," how can He have a spirit? And if He has a spirit, doesn't that imply that this is just one of His many attributes and not an actual definition of who He is?
God is Holy, God is Spirit!

God has a name: EHYEH/YHWH
Ehyeh is first person (What God calls Himself)
Yahweh is third person (what we are to call Him)
Spirit pertains to what God is. the Holy Spirit is what He is.
Yahweh the Father is who he is.

There is no other person in His being.
That God "IS" spirit speaks of his ontological existence. It is what He exists as. He exists outside of His physical creation. To assume that he has a physical body steps outside of the meaning of what spirit is, which is pure mind without physical substance. God acts upon physical substance by his creative force, but He is not a part of that substance. God created all substance, therefore he cannot be substance, because then He would have had to create Himself! The fact that God can present a physical image (numerous ones) is not evidence of him having a physical body, let alone one that is human in shape.

It is not correct to say that God "HAS" a spirit. Yet God, through His absolute control of the Physical universe can present a localized presence that can be witnessed or felt. The force of God's spirit can be sent out and have an effect on peoples lives and produce the gifts or manifestations known as Charisma. God has many attributes, but all of them operate through Spirit. The Spirit is not an attribute, and it is not "WHO" He is. It is what He exists as. Everything that God is, is expressed through Spirit.

Last edited by Nivram; 01-14-2017 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity