Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,022,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post

Anyway, regardless of politics, I think the OP is right to seek a more efficient avenue to try to help veterans, don't you, Dew?
Absolutely, I come from a military family and know how important it is to help our country's veterans. I was just taken aback by the OP's need to pick a non-liberal charity. I know for a fact that veterans are helped by people of all political and religious persuasions. Just as our veterans and current service members have a wide variety of political and religious beliefs. Need is need. Help is help. Those things don't discriminate. I've yet to know a veteran receiving much-needed help who cares about the beliefs of the person/charity giving her/him help.

I'd suggest the OP Google the name of the town/city he lives in and "veteran's charity". There is a lot of good work being done at the local to help vets with things like housing, service dogs and medical care. Local charities know the needs of their community's veterans.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-18-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 11:13 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,356,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Absolutely, I come from a military family and know how important it is to help our country's veterans. I was just taken aback by the OP's need to pick a non-liberal charity. I know for a fact that veterans are helped by people of all political and religious persuasions. Just as our veterans and current service members have a wide variety of political and religious beliefs. Need is need. Help is help. Those things don't discriminate. I've yet to know a veteran receiving much-needed help who cares about the beliefs of the person/charity giving her/him help.

I'd suggest the OP Google the name of the town/city he lives in and "veteran's charity". There is a lot of good work being done at the local to help vets with things like housing, service dogs and medical care. Local charities know the needs of their community's veterans.
Well, I appreciate your taking the time to read my post because clearly the OP and others did not. As you note, veterans come in all colors and creeds and thus charities to assist them tend to be similarly broad-based. "Pitiful" though I am, I did indeed look for Christian veterans' charities and didn't find much. Anyway, a pleasure speaking with you as always, Dew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
you all are pitiful. all I want is a church run project that helps soldiers! i want to know if there is such a creature!
simple!
If it's simple, I wonder why neither you, nor me, nor anyone else in this thread, has been able to find you such a creature on the national level. Hmm. I think you'd be well advised to look locally and see what area churches are doing, as Dew suggested, or perhaps you can do something at your own church as well, if you still don't find anything that suits you.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:28 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,692,812 times
well thanks ... sort of .
while everyone is lifting up the warriors

I had hoped that there was a
"shepard's purse " for warriors wives who now have to pay the bills, raise the kids and do all the work and take care of their husbands too . now there is a warrior boys and not just for 3 years.
I will go someday soon to the states Military base and see what is happening around there.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,022,775 times
Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) is Here For You!

Four star rating by Charity Navigator and they do outstanding work.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-18-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-20-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I think it's a reasonable question. Here are the expenses for WWP:
Financial Performance Metrics
Program Expenses
(Percent of the charity’s total expenses spent on the programs
and services it delivers) 58.8%
Administrative Expenses 5.8%
Fundraising Expenses 35.2%
Fundraising Efficiency $0.25
Working Capital Ratio (years) 1.47
Program Expenses Growth 67.2%
Liabilities to Assets 7.9%

58% delivery of funds is pretty poor. 35% for fundraising tells me your advertising must not be as effective as it could be -- if you're spending 35 cents to raise a dollar, yes, you're accumulating funds but that's a lot of churn and burn in the process wherein people give you 10 dollars and you end up spending 4 of them on advertising to get another 10 dollars from someone else.

It's not that hard to get a good rating from sites like Charity Navigator. To select one well-known Christian charity, Samaritan's Purse delivers 88% of its funds through to program expenses, and still manages tremendous visibility, and to somehow send me two or three letters a month, haha, and yet only 7% of its budget is on fundraising. 98/100 overall rating.

The Clinton Foundation rates quite well, in fact. Its admin expenses might be considered a little high but they send through 87% and only spend 4% on fundraising, which is fantastically low, so I guess all that influence and personal cachet is paying off in that regard. 95/100 overall rating, pretty strong. Much of the hullabaloo is all political, the charity seems to be pretty efficient and part of running a charity is leveraging your personal relationships to accrue donations; whether a politician should be doing that is definitely a can of worms but we needn't get into that here; it doesn't mean the charity isn't operating efficiently.

Anyway, regardless of politics, I think the OP is right to seek a more efficient avenue to try to help veterans, don't you, Dew?
thank you !

Old 11-20-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) is Here For You!

Four star rating by Charity Navigator and they do outstanding work.
well I will pray about this one and keep reading about the organization, it isn't quite what I had in mind.
something more practical for the wounded warriors family and especially for his wife . like build them super -houses that are suitable for they husband's disability and stuff like that. that can get her out of renting an out of house payments and utility payments . something could be done to make her life easier as she cares for her husband and her children . something with some real practical answers for the wife.

not just money to help her feed the every hungry all consuming beasty. and she gets no where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity