Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 12:26 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
These verses do not describe you therefore you are not allowed to see the word of God and His secrets.

"No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born from above.

No one knows the son except the Father and no one knows the Father except the son and whoever the son will reveal Him.

The Lord's power shall be known to His servants but to His enemies His wrath.

The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants the prophets."
You see, Peacegiver, you just prove my point that the Bible is so full of errors and contradictions. Look--your quote:

Quote:
"No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born from above. John 3:3
Now contrast that with Luke 17:21

Quote:
nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is....
Now finish the verse with ending of your choice:

a. in the midst of you
b. among you
c. within you
d. within SOME of you
e. a & b
f. b & d
g. a, b, & d
h. all of the above except c

You see, the Bible cannot even agree on where the Kingdom of God is. There are 63 verses in the New Testament that talk about the Kingdom of God and many are completely contradictory as you can see.

So which is the correct ending?

As for God's wrath I've never seen or felt wrath. Is it possible I am a child of God despite my (as Mike would put it) "apostasy"?

Please, none of this, "You WILL feel God's wrath when you are judged after you die". No pie-in-the-sky nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 01:34 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You see, Peacegiver, you just prove my point that the Bible is so full of errors and contradictions. Look--your quote:

a. in the midst of you
b. among you
c. within you
d. within SOME of you
e. a & b
f. b & d
g. a, b, & d

You see, the Bible cannot even agree on where the Kingdom of God is. There are 63 verses in the New Testament that talk about the Kingdom of God and many are completely contradictory as you can see.

As for God's wrath I've never seen or felt wrath. Is it possible I am a child of God despite my (as Mike would put it) "apostasy"?

Please, none of this, "You WILL feel God's wrath when you are judged after you die". No pie-in-the-sky nonsense.
The thing is it is not the word that is the problem but the understanding.

Those who can see know the correct translation.

Follow me and you will see.

I am the One who sees. The One who lives. The light of the world. The truth and the light.

Seek and you will find. Ask and receive. Knock and the door will open. Follow me an d you will seek. Follow me and you will ask. Follow me and you will knock.

"The Lord hears the prayer of the righteous but He is far from the wicked."

"The Lord is near to everyone who calls upon Him, who calls upon Him in truth."

Old 11-24-2016, 01:47 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
y
Quote:
A crisis of enormous proportions is manifesting in Christianity today. While Christians by the millions are leaving Christianity for other religions or simply turning to atheism and agnosticism there is another group dropping out in staggering numbers: pastors--men who as youths had a fire to serve the Lord but who as seminary students and then pastors are hit from four sides: wavering faith in God and the Bible, hard work with little or no pay, complete and total loss of belief in God, and fear of the unknown/lack of secular job skills that keep them pastors working in a field they have come to hate.

Most of these men follow a typical pattern: raised Christian, idealistic unrealistic expectations of a life serving God from the pulpit, realization in seminary school that the Bible is riddled with contradictions they cannot reconcile, and loss of faith during some point while they are ensconced in a position in a church. Jack and Adam provide some typical portraits of this phenomenon:

Disillusionment is a large part of this destruction of faith:

It isn't only the loss of faith that is most distressing to these men. More troubling for them is the question of how they will support their families when they have no job skills outside of preaching. Many men are well into their 40's and 50's and couldn't find work even if they did have some job skill outside the pulpit.

So they quietly live the life of believing in God and they go about their pastoral duties, all the while secretly disbelieving in Him. The stress of living a lie sometimes reaches the breaking point.

Faithful - ABC News

A recent survey estimated that as many as 1500 pastors a month drop out of Christianity. Those living in silent faithlessness often contemplate suicide as a way out:

Daniel Dennett and Richard Dawkins, noted biologist have set up The Clergy Project to help men faced with the crisis of losing their faith by offering them stipends to help support their families as they retrain for secular work outside the church. What is even more disconcerting for Christian leadership is that few and few men are coming in to fill the vacancies, prefering instead to get an education outside the seminary in the business world.

With dwindling numbers of parishioners and pastors to shepherd them it appears Christianity is facing a real threat of extinction, something not thinkable since the 1st century some 2000 years ago.

Pastor Burnout
I thought someone said pastors were making money hand over fist, and this is why we should tax the heck out of them. Gasp, priests being poor!

Honestly, tell me how it looks for you trying to convert a people who have already gotten worked over by secular society. This is not an easy job.

That said, however, there are plenty of Christians if you know where to look. Its just that the priesthood hierarchy is extremely flawed at the moment.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:

a. in the midst of you
b. among you
c. within you
d. within SOME of you
e. a & b
f. b & d
g. a, b, & d

A and C.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:25 PM

619 posts, read 311,748 times
Quote:

a. in the midst of you
b. among you
c. within you
d. within SOME of you
e. a & b
f. b & d
g. a, b, & d

Yeshua says, The kingdom of the Father is like a certain man who wanted to slay a mighty one. Within his own house he drew out his sword, and thrust it into the wall so as to test the strength of his hand: at that time he slew the mighty one.

Last edited by daqq; 11-24-2016 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 03:40 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Hmmm, they must not have been Christians in the first place. This is the answer I've received from others in this forum when I've talked about walking away from fundamental Christianity. Just sayin. . .

Old 11-24-2016, 03:49 PM

10,025 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Hmmm, they must not have been Christians in the first place. This is the answer I've received from others in this forum when I've talked about walking away from fundamental Christianity. Just sayin. . .
Yes, ' were ' (past tense) Christians also according to Acts 20:29-30 before they walked away from 1st-century Christianity.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
The thing is it is not the word that is the problem but the understanding.

Those who can see know the correct translation.

Follow me and you will see.

I am the One who sees. The One who lives. The light of the world. The truth and the light.

Seek and you will find. Ask and receive. Knock and the door will open. Follow me an d you will seek. Follow me and you will ask. Follow me and you will knock.

"The Lord is near to everyone who calls upon Him, who calls upon Him in truth."
Well and good, now follow me on this:

Quote:
Contrast that with this:

Quote:
"There are none who are righteous". Ecclesiastes 7:20
Now remember both of these scriptures are Old Testament so Christ wasn't around to make a person righteous through belief in him.

So how is it one verse says there are righteous while another verse says there are no righteous?????

But the bigger question is "Is your verse even in the Old Testament?" Because I googled it and could not find a reference.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Well and good, now follow me on this:

Contrast that with this:

Now remember both of these scriptures are Old Testament so Christ wasn't around to make a person righteous through belief in him.

So how is it one verse says there are righteous while another verse says there are no righteous?????

But the bigger question is "Is your verse even in the Old Testament?" Because I googled it and could not find a reference.
PS I did find this:

Quote:
The Lord is far from the wicked,
but he hears the prayer of the righteous.
So I ask again,

How is it one verse says there are righteous while another verse says there are no righteous?????

Old 11-25-2016, 01:27 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Honestly, tell me how it looks for you trying to convert a people who have already gotten worked over by secular society.
You would have to try and find people trying to convert them, and ask them. However the OP, and people like the Clergy Project, are not actually trying to convert anyone. They are working with people who have ALREADY lost their faith and helping them with that transition.

Honestly, tell me how it looks therefore for you commenting on what no one here is actually doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity