Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 03:21 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Right, and I want to add that many conservatives and fundamentalists make God out to be a tyrannical dictator who is concerned only with Himself and does not care about the feelings of his creatures. That is like a person who only cares if their pet obeys and respects them and doesn't give a flip about their pets emotional well being. That is not a god I worship nor a person I could respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Are you speaking of a particular church or denomination?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
She is talking about a particular attitude or way of thinking.
If, it applies to you, do something to change it.

I only ask because I've never heard that description of God before, even by our atheist friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 04:15 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,636,810 times
while of course this will not be popular--because it is true--Atheists, in accepting Apostate definitions for Scriptural concepts, actually lend imprimatur to those distorted concepts, and are Apostates' best friends, in that sense. I believe thrillobyte made a quite prescient post concerning the relationship between these two, often quoted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Let me explain: a Christian board like this is the very metaphor (? right word) of an abusive relationship: the skeptics like rafius and myself are the abused spouse; the fundamentalists are the abusers. The fundamentalists are guided by nothing but dogmatic beliefs however wild and nonsensical that have been hammered into them from the cradle. Consequently a skeptic cannot talk common sense to a fundamentalist as you've all witnessed. This is analogous to an abused spouse trying to convince an alcoholic or drug user that their drug use is destroying the marriage but the abusive spouse won't listen. But the skeptic is like the addicted dependent who stays with the abusive spouse; we keep coming back for more, repeatedly trying to make the fundamentalist see reason only to get beaten and abused over and over. You'd think we would learn our lessons but there's something that compels us to return. Think I'm wrong? Try leaving this board for one year and see how far you get. You'll be back inside of one month. I know; I've tried it and yet I keep coming back for more abuse from the fundamentalists. I cannot explain the phenomenon except to say it's the very paragon of an abusive/abused couple.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
[/color]

Its probably time to do a little more studying the Torah.

The kjv reads
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

What more could a single word alongside two others hold.
Who knows?

Deuteronomy 14:28
"At the end of every third year you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in that year, and shall deposit it in your town.

Deuteronomy 15:8
but you shall freely open your hand to him, and shall generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks.

Psalm 112:5-9
It is well with the man who is gracious and lends; He will maintain his cause in judgment. For he will never be shaken; The righteous will be remembered forever. He will not fear evil tidings; His heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD.
"Charity" is in the KJV Bible, but it wasn't in decades older Tyndale Bible---
Quote:
Charity is an interesting case in the King James Bible because the 1 Corinthians 13 passage (which uses charity 9 times) had been translated using the word love in Tyndale's New Testament of 1526 - 85 years before the King James translation.
So how is the same Greek word translated in some of Paul's other writings?

Quote:
Charity specifically refers to the love that we have toward other men. Paul stresses that we are to walk "charitably" toward our weaker brothers (Romans 14:13-15. He praised the Thessalonians because "the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth" (2 Thessalonians 1:3). In 1 Peter 4:8-9 , Peter told the believers, "And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. Use hospitality one to another without grudging."
Quote:
John encouraged the saints, "Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers; Which have borne witness of thy charity before the church..." (3 John 1:5-6). In all of these passages, charity describes the love of the saints for others. Most of the time, it refers to other believers: toward each other, among yourselves, to the brethren. In one case (3 John 1:5-6), it includes strangers. But in them all, God is referring to the special love that believers should have for others.
All quotes from Charity or Love | Learn The Bible

Old 11-22-2016, 06:46 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Evangelicals probably hate this verse. But what do other Christians think about this?

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
Why on earth would evangelicals hate that verse? Heck of a way to start a conversation by inserting something like that to divide people into separate camps. Me thinks you are simply trying to play people against evangelicals, and judging by the replies you succeeded.

I see nothing has changed in the "christianity" board.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why on earth would evangelicals hate that verse? Heck of a way to start a conversation by inserting something like that to divide people into separate camps. Me thinks you are simply trying to play people against evangelicals, and judging by the replies you succeeded.

I see nothing has changed in the "christianity" board.
Poor, sad, disillusioned Finn.

Here. Have a cookie.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:25 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I only ask because I've never heard that description of God before, even by our atheist friends.
Of course not. they say God is love and then describe hateful actions and attitudes.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:11 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
"Charity" is in the KJV Bible, but it wasn't in decades older Tyndale Bible---
So how is the same Greek word translated in some of Paul's other writings?

All quotes from Charity or Love | Learn The Bible
And God said, "Let the water that is beneath the heavens gather into one place, and let the dry land appear," and it was so. טוַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים יִקָּווּ הַמַּיִם מִתַּחַת הַשָּׁמַיִם אֶל מָקוֹם אֶחָד וְתֵרָאֶה הַיַּבָּשָׁה וַיְהִי כֵן:
10And God called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters He called seas, and God saw that it was good. יוַיִּקְרָא אֱלֹהִים | לַיַּבָּשָׁה אֶרֶץ וּלְמִקְוֵה הַמַּיִם קָרָא יַמִּים וַיַּרְא אֱלֹהִים כִּי טוֹב:
11And God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation, seed yielding herbs and fruit trees producing fruit according to its kind in which its seed is found, on the earth," and it was so. יאוַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים תַּדְשֵׁא הָאָרֶץ דֶּשֶׁא עֵשֶׂב מַזְרִיעַ זֶרַע עֵץ פְּרִי עֹשֶׂה פְּרִי לְמִינוֹ אֲשֶׁר זַרְעוֹ בוֹ עַל הָאָרֶץ וַיְהִי כֵן:
12And the earth gave forth vegetation, seed yielding herbs according to its kind, and trees producing fruit, in which its seed is found, according to its kind, and God saw that it was good. יבוַתּוֹצֵא הָאָרֶץ דֶּשֶׁא עֵשֶׂב מַזְרִיעַ זֶרַע לְמִינֵהוּ וְעֵץ עֹשֶׂה פְּרִי אֲשֶׁר זַרְעוֹ בוֹ לְמִינֵהוּ וַיַּרְא אֱלֹהִים כִּי טוֹב:
13And it was evening, and it was morning, a third day. יגוַיְהִי עֶרֶב וַיְהִי בֹקֶר יוֹם שְׁלִישִׁי:

I believe you may be lacking.
To a number of days recieve with thankfullness the increase of supplication with all blessings.

Who having silver purified seven times knows the values of Life given abuntantly.

His will be done.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:19 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
For the conductor on the sheminith, a song of David. אלַמְנַצֵּחַ עַל הַשְּׁמִינִית מִזְמוֹר לְדָוִד:
2Save, O Lord, for the pious are gone, for the faithful have vanished from the sons of men. בהוֹשִׁיעָה יְהֹוָה כִּי גָמַר חָסִיד כִּי פַסּוּ אֱמוּנִים מִבְּנֵי אָדָם:
3One speaks to another with falseness, smooth talk; they speak with a double heart. גשָׁוְא | יְדַבְּרוּ אִישׁ אֶת רֵעֵהוּ שְׂפַת חֲלָקוֹת בְּלֵב וָלֵב יְדַבֵּרוּ:
4May the Lord cut off all smooth lips, the tongue that speaks great things. דיַכְרֵת יְהֹוָה כָּל שִׂפְתֵי חֲלָקוֹת לָשׁוֹן מְדַבֶּרֶת גְּדֹלוֹת:
5Who said, "With our tongue we will overpower; our lips are with us. Who is lord over us?" האֲשֶׁר אָמְרוּ | לִלְשֹׁנֵנוּ נַגְבִּיר שְׂפָתֵינוּ אִתָּנוּ מִי אָדוֹן לָנוּ:
6Because of the plunder of the poor, because of the cry of the needy, Now I will rise, the Lord shall say; I will grant them salvation, He shall speak concerning them. ומִשֹּׁד עֲנִיִּים מֵאֶנְקַת אֶבְיוֹנִים עַתָּה אָקוּם יֹאמַר יְהֹוָה אָשִׁית בְּיֵשַׁע יָפִיחַ לוֹ:
7The sayings of the Lord are pure sayings, like silver refined, exposed to the earth, clarified sevenfold. זאִמֲרוֹת יְהֹוָה אֲמָרוֹת טְהֹרוֹת כֶּסֶף צָרוּף בַּעֲלִיל לָאָרֶץ מְזֻקָּק שִׁבְעָתָיִם:
8You, O Lord, shall guard them; You shall guard him from this generation forever. חאַתָּה יְהֹוָה תִּשְׁמְרֵם תִּצְּרֶנּוּ | מִן הַדּוֹר זוּ לְעוֹלָם:
9Wicked men walk on all sides when the [one who appears] basest to the sons of men is elevated. טסָבִיב רְשָׁעִים יִתְהַלָּכוּן כְּרֻם זֻלֻּת לִבְנֵי אָדָם:

Old 11-23-2016, 12:32 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
It's snowing again?

Old 11-23-2016, 03:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
... God does not interact to faith were love is absent ...
Picture this, my friends here:

A desperate person praying..no background or exposure really in church things...
a life of struggle, beatings, neglect..
maybe a homeless guy now...dirty, toothless, still struggling;
has no time for 'love'...just finding shelter at night...and is grateful to the kind folks at the shelters....
a decent, but lonely, sad guy, wouldn't hurt anyone....

He has no love to speak of...but plenty of depression and fear of robbers in the night...
But, one day he actually prays to this 'God' that he heard about.
He has a small bit of faith and hope ...faith the size of a mustard seed ...does anyone really think
the scenario above holds any water that,
"God does not interact to faith were love is absent...''?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity