Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 08:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Satan is a created angel. Not a god. Though he is called the god of this age in 2 Corinthians 4:4 that is not to be understood in the sense of Satan being divine. The reality of the existence of Satan has no bearing on a monotheistic view of God.

As I said, you don't believe the Bible as evidenced by the fact that you say there is no hell, no Satan, no demons or devil. All of which the Biblical writers attest to as having real existence.

All you can do is make unsupported denials which carry no weight.
Actually, Satan is a character in an old book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 11:43 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,025,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It's because Satan is not a entity, it is a trait within the human nature, better described as the Yetzer HaRa (Bad Inclination)...

Old 11-27-2016, 01:07 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
It's because Satan is not an entity, it is a trait within the human nature, better described as the Yetzer HaRa (Bad Inclination)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
In other words, we have the natural tendency or potential to do either good or evil.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:14 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times
Quote:
Satan is not what christians think...
Not all Christians are dominated by the early Christian Church interpretation of Satan.

Quote:
Among those books of the Hebrew Scriptures written before 300 BCE, the term "satan" (root word "s'tn") appears often. The word is derived from the original Hebrew verb "satan" which means "to oppose." The Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek was widely used in the early Christian church. They translated "satan" as "diaboloc" from which we derive our English term "devil" and "diabolic."
Satan: Early history

In Job and Zechariah Satan is depicted as a member of God's Court. In Job Satan is the one selected to carry out God's testing of Job's faith with a series of disasters. In Zechariah Satan opposes the selection of Joshua as high priest.

There is far more BIBLICAL evidence in the OT that Satan is the one who tests us to see if our faith in God is reliable.

I hold more with the Jewish concept, and accept responsibility for my own thoughts and actions as "diabolical" on occasion. That's why I need grace from God, because I can't in any kind of good conscience say as many Christians do--"The Devil made me do it." It's a way to sooth their conscience that in their "right mind" they would never think or do anything immoral.

Thanks for continuing to be the "adversary" of Christians on this thread, Richard. I certainly entertain a different faith, but I respect those from whom it is derived.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:27 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
What I decided to do has already been done. Your claim that the Bible doesn't show Satan to be an actual entity has been shown to be false. A fact to which you will not admit. As a matter of fact, the fact that Satan is a fallen angel has already been shown by Revelation 12:7-10 which I've already posted. The New Testament speaks of demons and Jesus' encounter with them. But you reject the validity of those statements.

The simple fact of the matter is that you don't believe the Bible, and therefore you won't accept as valid anything the Bible has to say about the reality of Satan and his demon followers as angelic beings who rebelled against God. And so I am going to leave it with the fact that your claim that the Bible doesn't present Satan as an actual angelic entity has been shown to be a false claim.
Interesting that this entity in it's current form and characteristics has only been around for the last 1500 to 2000 years...

Old 11-27-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqq View Post
And since when does what *you* say have any bearing? You need to actually prove that your accusation is true otherwise you are nothing more than a false accuser and an intentional Torah violator which proves in itself that you are no Jew but only running around all dressed up like a Jew.
Awww...You getting all mad little guy?....How am I violating the Torah?...

Old 11-27-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What I reject is your understanding of the Old Testament and the ideology of a literal being called Satan which crept into the New Testament letters based on man's doctrines. We all face adversity, hardships or heart aches at some point in this life, even if it's only the loss of a loved one. There was nothing special about Peter; however, he was informed that life for him would not be easy. There is no Hell, no Satan, no demons or devil, no ghosts or goblins, ...and dead souls do not come back to speak to the living. If you believe Satan is a supernatural entity – then you do not have a monotheistic view of God. And tossing around a few Scripture verses, does not equate to having knowledge or a comprehension of the language(s). Thus, I will leave you to your own thoughts (or the thoughts of others) when it comes to a demonic mindset that would eternally torment another human being for merely not believing something.
You're on target...Too soon to rep...

Old 11-27-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqq View Post
18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am the LORD.

What am I missing here? Am I wrong?
Well, for one, G-d was talking to the Israel, not the Gentiles...And....Hey, look!...The "New Commandment" to love your neighbor as yourself is actually not so New...Imagine that...

Old 11-27-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Satan is a created angel. Not a god. Though he is called the god of this age in 2 Corinthians 4:4 that is not to be understood in the sense of Satan being divine. The reality of the existence of Satan has no bearing on a monotheistic view of God.

IN SHORT... For Jews, anything that even remotely conflicts with the idea that Gd is One and Indivisible will be rejected out of hand because it precludes true pure monotheism. The idea that there is a Gd in heaven above who fights against a god of the underworld, or of hell, is not monotheism. It is, however, the same duality found in other pagan faiths. The Bible speaks of a character known as The Satan, who acts like a prosecuting attorney, or a district attorney, in Gd's court. However, The Satan has no power or authority in and of himself, rather he must get permission from the Judge, Gd, to do anything.

- What Jews Believe: Essay #7: Satan Not Devil

Old 11-27-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Confused?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity