Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:11 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
This universe exists inside a computer.
The real world is nothing like this universe.
In the real world space doesn't exist and there are no conservation laws of any kind.
In the real world there is no limit to the size a computer can Grow.
That's a rather dogmatic assertion. The 2016 Isaac Asimov Memorial debate addressed the subject of whether our universe is a computer simulation. It was hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson and the panel consisted of Professor of philosophy David Chalmers, Nuclear physicist Zohreh Davoudi, Professor of physics James Sylvester Gates, Theoretical physicist Lisa Randall, and Astro physicist at MIT Max Tegmark.

After an interesting and at times entertaining two hour discussion, when Tyson asked what each of them thought the likelihood was that our universe is a simulation, Chalmers said 42%, Davoudi gave a no answer, Gates said 1%, Randall said 0%, and Tegmark said 17%. Only Tyson thought the likelihood that we are a simulation is very high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgSZA3NPpBs

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-09-2016 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times
I wouldn't call it a simulation. When a simulation becomes that perfect and detailed and extensive then it's no longer a simulation it's a replication

Old 12-10-2016, 06:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
It is physically impossible for the universe and even life to start with out a push start from the Creator God , as the elements do not change on their own
So where did the 'creator god' come from?

Old 12-10-2016, 07:38 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
These threads - on the evidence for the Creation - are odd. Odd because either

1. There can't be any evidence, or
2. The notion of human free will is wrong, or
3. Our understanding of God - His abilities - is wrong.

If we understand what God is - that is, if the model of God being all-powerful, all-knowing, & so on is right, & if human free will is real - then there can't be any evidence for the Creation.

Because if we can correctly reason back from the Creation to God - then there isn't free will. & free will is a real necessity in Western Civ. theology - because that's where God gets off the hook for the existence of Evil in the World (in the Universe, really, I suppose).

Anyway, the question of evil is a big deal in theology - Western Civ. branch. Other theologies address this in other ways. The only logical approaches I see to this issue are to either attack the idea of free will, or attack Western Civ's notion of God - or both. But you only need one of these out; I would assume that free will would be the logical choice to attack, because the other is just plain unappetizing to Fundamentalist believers.

But that's just my take.
I don't believe in free will. If we all had free will, we would never be willing to be subjected to death and the whims of millions/billions of other "free willed" human beings. To me, the scriptures do not teach free will. Even the phrase "whosoever will" does not require freedom to choose. I realize this will not make sense to everyone reading.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:42 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That's a rather dogmatic assertion. The 2016 Isaac Asimov Memorial debate addressed the subject of whether our universe is a computer simulation. It was hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson and the panel consisted of Professor of philosophy David Chalmers, Nuclear physicist Zohreh Davoudi, Professor of physics James Sylvester Gates, Theoretical physicist Lisa Randall, and Astro physicist at MIT Max Tegmark.

After an interesting and at times entertaining two hour discussion, when Tyson asked what each of them thought the likelihood was that our universe is a simulation, Chalmers said 42%, Davoudi gave a no answer, Gates said 1%, Randall said 0%, and Tegmark said 17%. Only Tyson thought the likelihood that we are a simulation is very high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgSZA3NPpBs
I kind of hate to see Tyson go unhinged. I like so much of his work, but his atheist side is disappointing and of course that the history of the world or mankind is a computer simulation is laughable. Maybe he just says that to get a rise out of people because he knows so many people watch him, I dunno.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:48 AM

appeal to ridicule is a fallacy.

If this universe is inside a computer than the real Universe might be completely different. So different that it is actually easy to create a computer big enough to put our universe inside

Old 12-10-2016, 08:43 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I kind of hate to see Tyson go unhinged. I like so much of his work, but his atheist side is disappointing and of course that the history of the world or mankind is a computer simulation is laughable. Maybe he just says that to get a rise out of people because he knows so many people watch him, I dunno.
If you don't believe in God then you have to try to understand how everything began. I understand the reasoning behind the hypothesis of us being a simulation, which by the way is not actually necessarily an attempt to refute theism. I don't believe we're a simulation, but I don't ridicule the idea.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-10-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-10-2016, 10:59 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
granpa does this prove the universe was created ? and that man doesn't has even understood light ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCtDqCuhWNM

proof that they don't understand some kinds of light proves they can not also measure what they do not understand.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 12-10-2016 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 AM

The heavens declare the glory of God, And the firmament showeth His handiwork
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity