Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP, Jesus was not born on Dec 25. It was just a day they choose out of a hat to compete with the pagans holiday.
Well, given that we're electing to mark Christ's birth rather than the Roman cult of Saturn, so what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 12:52 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
It would not bother me at all if we stopped celebrating Christmas with all the traditions of decorating and buying gifts for everyone. I find it to be a lot of trouble. If it were not so commercialized, it would be a more enjoyable time of year. I should convert to Judaism so I can eat Chinese on Christmas and skip all the work.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:06 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
It would not bother me at all if we stopped celebrating Christmas with all the traditions of decorating and buying gifts for everyone. I find it to be a lot of trouble. If it were not so commercialized, it would be a more enjoyable time of year. I should convert to Judaism so I can eat Chinese on Christmas and skip all the work.
You can choose to do so! I don't go crazy with the whole commercialization bit. My family quit exchanging years ago. Now we just get together after New Year's and eat and play games.

There are exceptions. I got a new jigsaw puzzle, candy, and gingerbread for my 88-year-old mom because she enjoys those things. I bought my daughter a pair of boots and got a gift for her bf (he lifts and wanted beef protein powder). I have a couple of friends with whom I exchange small things like candles. That's it. No craziness, no malls, no debt.

I don't know where you live, but here in NJ the Jews are complaining (in jest) that with so many Hindus moving here from India, there's too much competition at the Chinese restaurants and movie theaters on Christmas. If we start doing that, too, it could get very stressful!

Old 12-26-2016, 01:52 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, given that we're electing to mark Christ's birth rather than the Roman cult of Saturn, so what?
Whose electing to mark ' wrongfully ' December 25th as Christ's birth, certainly it is Not scriptural.
How does a fusion or mixing of non-biblical with biblical make the non-biblical as scriptural.
Biblically speaking, according to 1st Corinthians 10:2-21, Christians are Not to mix or fuse with the nation's celebrations.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
FWIW, the celebration is not especially a "birthday" (and nobody is putting candles on a cake that I'm aware of) but remembering that Christ is indeed come into the world for our salvation and everything else: His teaching of love and mercy, His healing of sickness and sin, His offering of Himself upon the cross for our sins, and His resurrection follow from His birth as a helpless humble Child (regardless of the exact day) is what Christians are celebrating even as the angels of the heavenly host did on that first holy night long ago
in the peace of Christ.
I know someone who was born in 1965 and she sang happy birthday to Jesus in front of a lit candled cake to Jesus.

What does 1st Corinthians 10:20-21 say but Not to mix or fuse with the celebrations of the nations.

Announcing a birth, angelic or not, is Not the same as marking each annual anniversary birth date.
The Jews considered birthday celebrations as something the pagans did.
How did Jesus and his apostles celebrate Jesus' birthday, but that they did Not.

What did Jesus say to do to remember him but to commemorate the day that he died.- Luke 22:19-20
Jesus died on the Jewish calendar date of the month of Nisan the 14th day which is in the Spring of the year.
So, Jesus did Not teach his followers to celebrate his birth, nor his resurrection, but remember his day of death.
- Luke 22:19-20

Old 12-26-2016, 02:14 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Whose electing to mark ' wrongfully ' December 25th as Christ's birth, certainly it is Not scriptural.
How does a fusion or mixing of non-biblical with biblical make the non-biblical as scriptural.
Biblically speaking, according to 1st Corinthians 10:2-21, Christians are Not to mix or fuse with the nation's celebrations.
I will celebrate my grandsons birth, being two-years of age on January 5th.
If you have any objections, take it up with God - he has been invited too.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP, Jesus was not born on Dec 25. It was just a day they choose out of a hat to compete with the pagans holiday.
Was it so much to 'compete ' or rather a priest-craft tactic to try to 'absorb' the pagans into a fake ' weed/tares ' form of Christianity named Christendom. That tactic also made it easier for Christians to become involved with false worship.
By re-naming the Saturnalia as Christmas (Christ's mass) then they could put a 'human' clergy blessing on that already existing pagan festival to lure people (Christian and non-Christians) into their scheme.
- Acts 20:29-30

Old 12-26-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I will celebrate my grandsons birth, being two-years of age on January 5th.
If you have any objections, take it up with God - he has been invited too.
Congratulations Jerwade on your having a grandson! I would think Psalm 127:3 would also apply to grandsons.

As God forces No one to worship Him, I have No objections. We are all gifted with free-will choices.

Ever wonder why the only two (2) birthday celebrations mentioned in Scripture are both of pagans ?

Old 12-26-2016, 03:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Congratulations Jerwade on your having a grandson! I would think Psalm 127:3 would also apply to grandsons.

As God forces No one to worship Him, I have No objections. We are all gifted with free-will choices.

Ever wonder why the only two (2) birthday celebrations mentioned in Scripture are both of pagans ?
The Bible is sycretistic, and so are all forms of Religion.
However, it's what comes from the heart that matters.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:05 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You can choose to do so! I don't go crazy with the whole commercialization bit. My family quit exchanging years ago. Now we just get together after New Year's and eat and play games.

There are exceptions. I got a new jigsaw puzzle, candy, and gingerbread for my 88-year-old mom because she enjoys those things. I bought my daughter a pair of boots and got a gift for her bf (he lifts and wanted beef protein powder). I have a couple of friends with whom I exchange small things like candles. That's it. No craziness, no malls, no debt.

I don't know where you live, but here in NJ the Jews are complaining (in jest) that with so many Hindus moving here from India, there's too much competition at the Chinese restaurants and movie theaters on Christmas. If we start doing that, too, it could get very stressful!
That sounds very nice. I worry that my daughters buy their kids way too much stuff considering they also get more toys from grandma and grandpa and aunts and uncles. Both my grandsons got way too many toys for Christmas. They are age 2 and 5. They would have been happy with half as much or even less. I think it sends them the wrong message. That is funny about the Hindus and Jews competing for Christmas dinner and movies. I'm a fan of small token gifts and handmade things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity