Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,686,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Bible is sycretistic, and so are all forms of Religion.
However, it's what comes from the heart that matters.

WORD of the day!
syncretism
[sing-kri-tiz-uh m, sin-]
noun
the attempted reconciliation or union of different or opposing principles, practices, or parties, as in philosophy or religion.
Grammar. the merging, as by historical change in a language, of two or more categories in a specified environment into one, as, in nonstandard English, the use of was with both singular and plural subjects, while in standard English was is used with singular subjects (except for you in the second person singular) and were with plural subjects.

Congrats, Jerwade on celebrating your grandson's 2nd birthday. One of my grandson's is 2 ... he'll turn 3 in May. It's a wonderful age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 04:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,315,536 times
please tell me where in scripture does it explicitly say, "thou shalt not celebrate birthdays" or for that matter that celebrating birthdays is somehow ALWAYS and EVERYWHERE a pagan custom---think your reference to two pagans having birthdays in the bible is NONE of the above by any kind of logic.

Christians are not bound to observe every law or custom of the Jews---if we did, it would be mandatory to be circumcised, keep kosher, and probably have animal sacrifices (which BTW pagans ALSO performed) at the Jerusalem temple. Christ has liberated us to obey the law ("every jot and tittle") through sincere love of God and our neighbor ("...on which depends the whole law and the prophets"---Matt. 22:40)). FWIW, even the first Christians were only required to "...not eat blood or food sacrificed to idols.." (Acts 15:29) with apparently no mention of such potentially horrendous sins like celebrating birthdays!!!

the fact that some lady (born in 1965 or otherwise) apparently decided to take it upon herself (either seriously or in jest and FWIW I hope it made her happy and was somehow a source of edification to her) to bake a cake and sing "happy birthday" to Jesus shows one person's actions good, bad, or indifferent but definitely not the actions or even beliefs of many many others (including yours truly) who have neither heard, seen, or participated in something like that---it's certainly not the official belief or practice of Catholics (or any other Christian body) so I fail to see your point. you could use the same "reasoning" to conclude that if a Baptist (or Catholic or Atheist) gets drunk it would therefore mean that all Baptists (or Catholics or Atheists) are drunks as well!!!

peace to you on your journey

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 12-26-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I know someone who was born in 1965 and she sang happy birthday to Jesus in front of a lit candled cake to Jesus.

What does 1st Corinthians 10:20-21 say but Not to mix or fuse with the celebrations of the nations.

Announcing a birth, angelic or not, is Not the same as marking each annual anniversary birth date.
The Jews considered birthday celebrations as something the pagans did.
How did Jesus and his apostles celebrate Jesus' birthday, but that they did Not.

What did Jesus say to do to remember him but to commemorate the day that he died.- Luke 22:19-20
Jesus died on the Jewish calendar date of the month of Nisan the 14th day which is in the Spring of the year.
So, Jesus did Not teach his followers to celebrate his birth, nor his resurrection, but remember his day of death.
- Luke 22:19-20
We did have a few "Happy Birthday Jesus" cakes when my children were small. I did it to emphasize that the reason we even celebrate Christmas is that it is the Christian tradition to celebrate Christ's birth at this time of year. But I don't do that anymore since they are grown and they can read all about the history of Christmas and they can read the bible and only they know deep down inside what they believe.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,164,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
WORD of the day!
syncretism
[sing-kri-tiz-uh m, sin-]
noun
the attempted reconciliation or union of different or opposing principles, practices, or parties, as in philosophy or religion.
Grammar. the merging, as by historical change in a language, of two or more categories in a specified environment into one, as, in nonstandard English, the use of was with both singular and plural subjects, while in standard English was is used with singular subjects (except for you in the second person singular) and were with plural subjects.

Congrats, Jerwade on celebrating your grandson's 2nd birthday. One of my grandson's is 2 ... he'll turn 3 in May. It's a wonderful age.
Last night when I put my grandson and granddaughter (4) to bed. I sat on the top steps of the stairway to heaven listening to my granddaughter teaching my grandson to talk: "Now, are you ready for the months of the year, and the days of the week?" After teaching him to count ...He didn't miss a beat! Indeed, it is a wonderful age, and all ages are unique. They laughed and giggled, until they went to sleep.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Last night when I put my grandson and granddaughter (4) to bed. I sat on the top steps of the stairway to heaven listening to my granddaughter teaching my grandson to talk: "Now, are you ready for the months of the year, and the days of the week?" After teaching him to count ...He didn't miss a beat! Indeed, it is a wonderful age, and all ages are unique. They laughed and giggled, until they went to sleep.
That is so sweet. I love to listen to my grandkids talking. They are like angels.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:46 PM

87,995 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Whose electing to mark ' wrongfully ' December 25th as Christ's birth, certainly it is Not scriptural.
How does a fusion or mixing of non-biblical with biblical make the non-biblical as scriptural.
Biblically speaking, according to 1st Corinthians 10:2-21, Christians are Not to mix or fuse with the nation's celebrations.
Not everyone believes that Christianity is constrained by what's in the scriptures, of course. To those of us whose faith reaches out to broader horizons, there's no problem with observing a holiday not specifically written down by the biblical authors. It's no big deal. I doubt God cares about such human activities!

Old 12-26-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
please tell me where in scripture does it explicitly say, "thou shalt not celebrate birthdays" or for that matter that celebrating birthdays is somehow ALWAYS and EVERYWHERE a pagan custom---think your reference to two pagans having birthdays in the bible is NONE of the above by any kind of logic.

Christians are not bound to observe every law or custom of the Jews---if we did, it would be mandatory to be circumcised, keep kosher, and probably have animal sacrifices (which BTW pagans ALSO performed) at the Jerusalem temple. Christ has liberated us to obey the law ("every jot and tittle") through sincere love of God and our neighbor ("...on which depends the whole law and the prophets"---Matt. 22:40)). FWIW, even the first Christians were only required to "...not eat blood or food sacrificed to idols.." (Acts 15:29) with apparently no mention of such potentially horrendous sins like celebrating birthdays!!!

the fact that some lady (born in 1965 or otherwise) apparently decided to take it upon herself (either seriously or in jest and FWIW I hope it made her happy and was somehow a source of edification to her) to bake a cake and sing "happy birthday" to Jesus shows one person's actions good, bad, or indifferent but definitely not the actions or even beliefs of many many others (including yours truly) who have neither heard, seen, or participated in something like that---it's certainly not the official belief or practice of Catholics (or any other Christian body) so I fail to see your point. you could use the same "reasoning" to conclude that if a Baptist (or Catholic or Atheist) gets drunk it would therefore mean that all Baptists (or Catholics or Atheists) are drunks as well!!!

peace to you on your journey
I bet most of these finger-pointers wear wedding rings--a pagan custom.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:28 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,944,208 times
Quote:
Whose electing to mark ' wrongfully ' December 25th as Christ's birth, certainly it is Not scriptural.
How does a fusion or mixing of non-biblical with biblical make the non-biblical as scriptural.
Biblically speaking, according to 1st Corinthians 10:2-21, Christians are Not to mix or fuse with the nation's celebrations.
Tell you what. In detail, let's have you describe the daily life and worship of you and your family. What you do, what you wear, what you say. Then we'll deconstruct it to see if it is completely in accord with the scripture.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:03 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,315,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bet most of these finger-pointers wear wedding rings--a pagan custom.

LOL, who knows and in some ways does "sweating all the details" in obeying every single detail of ritual and observance really matter? the oft quoted line from Micah 6:8 still seems worthwhile to remember and try to follow: "...what is required of you, oh man but do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God..." or "...LOVE fulfills the law..." (Roman 13:8-13) lest we instead end up like the pious ones (="Pharisees") who complained and ultimately rejected Jesus because among other things He and disciples did not keep the Sabbath "correctly"?

my hope and prayer for all of us is that God is both just and merciful and that He will forgive us for honoring Him and the birth of His Son---even if it's on the "wrong day" or the "wrong way".

in the peace of Christ.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
LOL, who knows and in some ways does "sweating all the details" in obeying every single detail of ritual and observance really matter? the oft quoted line from Micah 6:8 still seems worthwhile to remember and try to follow: "...what is required of you, oh man but do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God..." or "...LOVE fulfills the law..." (Roman 13:8-13) lest we instead end up like the pious ones (="Pharisees") who complained and ultimately rejected Jesus because among other things He and disciples did not keep the Sabbath "correctly"?

my hope and prayer for all of us is that God is both just and merciful and that He will forgive us for honoring Him and the birth of His Son---even if it's on the "wrong day" or the "wrong way".

in the peace of Christ.
I'm banking on God having a sense of humor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity