Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:50 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That's what we do at church. If that isn't your experience with church, I can imagine how you'd be perplexed at my statement.
I didn't say I never experienced those things at a church

The point is, church is not the only place that people worship God and fellowship. So, perhaps you want to rethink judging people as putting God last because they don't attend church on Christmas day, or any other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 10:52 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not interpret Hebrews the same way you do. We gather for good works and love. We do not need anyone or any book to command.
Doing good works in love is a great thing. We should all strive to love and serve each other. No one is saying not to do those things.
Quote:

I do not gather to recieve instructions from anyone using their interpretations of faith. God is right here with us. No middleman needed.
You told me that you do not worship when you gather, or share instruction in the faith. That is a command given in Scripture. If you hang out with friends, share a meal, etc....great. Good on you. But that is not what we're talking about.

This thread is about attending church God saw fit to put this admonition to do so in his Word. That's why I brought in the Biblical quote commanding us to do so. Someone asked me why I think church attendance is needed.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I didn't say I never experienced those things at a church

The point is, church is not the only place that people worship God and fellowship. So, perhaps you want to rethink judging people as putting God last because they don't attend church on Christmas day, or any other day.
I never suggested it was. If you want to have a church service in your home, great. No one is saying that you have to go to any specific place to worship.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I never suggested it was.

Yes, you did:

Quote:
Most churches that I know of would be happy to have a service on any day of the year if people were willing to show up, but it's a sad fact of Americanism that oftentimes God comes last on a long list of things in their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio
If you want to have a church service in your home, great. No one is saying that you have to go to any specific place to worship.
You still miss the point. Worship of God and fellowship does not need to happen in a formalized "service". It can, but it doesn't need to.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:59 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Doing good works in love is a great thing. We should all strive to love and serve each other. No one is saying not to do those things.

You told me that you do not worship when you gather, or share instruction in the faith. That is a command given in Scripture. If you hang out with friends, share a meal, etc....great. Good on you. But that is not what we're talking about.

This thread is about attending church God saw fit to put this admonition to do so in his Word. That's why I brought in the Biblical quote commanding us to do so. Someone asked me why I think church attendance is needed.
Thank you for mansplaining the thread. However the thread is about churches not having service on Christmas.

Men see fit to admonish. It is what they do best in the bible, admonish. God does not admonish me. Hanging out with family and friends is exactly what the bible speaks to. Your interpretation is skewed. You believe it gives you the right to instruct others in your interpretation.

However my interpretation and my experience is we gather for good works and love. We share. We help others. We happen to have a good time, too. .

Old 12-13-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, you did:

You still miss the point. Worship of God and fellowship does not need to happen in a formalized "service". It can, but it doesn't need to.
Do you honestly believe that most people that don't go to church are staying home and having a worship service, meeting with other believers?

Old 12-13-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Thank you for mansplaining the thread. However the thread is about churches not having service on Christmas.

Men see fit to admonish. It is what they do best in the bible, admonish. God does not admonish me. Hanging out with family and friends is exactly what the bible speaks to. Your interpretation is skewed. You believe it gives you the right to instruct others in your interpretation.

However my interpretation and my experience is we gather for good works and love. We share. We help others. We happen to have a good time, too. .
God inspired the book of Hebrews. It admonishes us to gather together to worship and fellowship. I said that it's sad that people place God under everything else. That includes doing what he commands in Hebrews 10. You have made it clear that you don't gather to worship with the nice group of people you gather with.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:11 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Do you honestly believe that most people that don't go to church are staying home and having a worship service, meeting with other believers?
We do not feel the need for formal worship. We invite many faiths to our table, and a few Beliebers.

However, I do know people who do hold services in their home. They do not exclude other faiths. I have an open invitation.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
We do not feel the need for formal worship. We invite many faiths to our table, and a few Beliebers.

However, I do know people who do hold services in their home. They do not exclude other faiths. I have an open invitation.
So do you go on Christmas? If not, why not?

Old 12-13-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Quit trying to confine worshiping God and fellowship to a "worship service", Viz, and you will understand the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity