Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:49 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,041,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The point to be made is that the early Quakers did not pursue sensation for the sake of the sensation:

"For early Friends, the most important dimension of the experience of baptism in the Spirit was that it led to a regenerated life; one in which people found themselves brought into right relationship with God, with other people and with the whole creation. The charismatic phenomenon of Quaking was a manifestation of the work of the power of God within them but the real fruit of the process was a new life. We can see this emphasis reflected in the New Testament writings." From the article cited by Rbb1

You're painting a whole lot of people with one brush.

Again, my point is, that there were several whose roots were "charismatic", including founder of the Methodists John Wesley, the Quakers, the Shakers, and even former Quaker John Wimber founder of Vineyard Ministries. The fire went out on all but Wimber's, but I find it encouraging that some present day Quakers are once again pressing in to know Him (by the Spirit AND His gifts and manifestations) even as they are known of Him. Perhaps they will correct some of the excesses of flesh the Pentecostals have fallen into. Peace

Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post

Again, my point is, that there were several whose roots were "charismatic", including founder of the Methodists John Wesley, the Quakers, the Shakers, and even former Quaker John Wimber founder of Vineyard Ministries. The fire went out on all but Wimber's, but I find it encouraging that some present day Quakers are once again pressing in to know Him (by the Spirit AND His gifts and manifestations) even as they are known of Him. Perhaps they will correct some of the excesses of flesh the Pentecostals have fallen into. Peace
The brush covers only those who do not demonstrate that the love Christ taught is central to their action in community.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:00 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Not really, it says that rational people are tuning out and, um, less rational people are screaming louder.
I suppose you could say that, yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake

The actual statistic is bogus to start with. Most charts and graphs distinguish between "non-religious" and "atheist."

Atheists are practically fixed at 1% or 2% and comprise people who actively dismiss the existence of deities.

Non-religious makes up over 10% of the population, and are basically agnostics or people that reject the official religion (non-Hindus in India for instance). They may carry out the cultural practices such as hygiene or caste codes, but they don't worship Brahma or Kali.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:12 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post

You raise an interesting point. Wimber didn't like what was going on at Toronto Airport Vineyard, when the the Arnotts carried on with the meetings - it wasn't under his control, meaning Wimber's control - he thought it was too excessive. It was around the time the Vineyard movement split, and Wimber wasn't around much longer either. ...putting 2 and 2 together.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You completely missed my question, jimmi, as usual.

Here's the question again: Jesus claims to love these children who are being raped and abused and murdered. He has the power to stop it. Why doesn't he?

Because it would violate the free will of the person raping the child?????

This has nothing to do with atheists. They believe children get raped because the world is evil. It IS evil. Atheists have the stronger argument about why it happens---because their IS no God to stop it.

Christians profess a God who is powerful enough to stop it but they have no answer WHY He doesn't.

So they push it out of their mind like Age-Enduring does because it is an inconvenient truth he cannot grasp or begin to answer or to square with his version of who Jesus is and what he does. For Age Jesus died on the cross for us and set us all free from sin.

As a philosophy it's just one of hundreds out there that carries no more weight than Buddhism or Hinduism. It's all based on faith, not evidence.

Deism, my faith, says that God doesn't intervene because He has erected a stone wall between Himself and this world and doesn't invade life down here. He doesn't answer prayers; he doesn't save hapless children from evil and disease.

Does this make Him evil? I don't know. I struggle with that. But I respect His decision not to intervene and just learn to live in a Godless world, including a world where there IS no Holy Spirit that knocks people down with his power like we see happening in Charismatic services. Again, to the original premise of my OP in the other thread about the HS:

The power of the Holy Spirit that people feel is just a subjective emotional high brought on by feel-good endorphins.
So what is your point, that Christianity is an evil belief? Isn't that your usual diatribe? What is your solution to this issue? What would you do if you were God?

https://gotquestions.org/problem-of-evil.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity