Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:26 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times

Advertisements

O' Catholic Saint Nick, ails Kris Kringle ?

- Merry Krismass pronounced as it's spelled.

- Instead of Merry Christmas not pronounced as it's spelled.

So then, I changed it this year to:

HO,HO,HO, Mary-Kris-Mass from The Catholic Saint Nick.

Even in his last name has a, k-RING-le to it. Ding-a-ling. Awake up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,979 times
well, FWIW "Catholic Saint Nick" aka St. Nicholas (Dutch: "Sinterklaas" and English:"Santa Claus"), 4'th century Bishop of Myra in Asia Minor is also revered by the Orthodox (his feast day in both churches is Dec. 6). Wikipedia has a good article on "Saint Nicholas" (who interestingly enough is also regarded as the "patron saint" of Russia, REPENTANT thieves, sailors, and pawnbrokers!!!!). he was attended the council of Nicaea and was a staunch defender of the belief in the divinity of Christ against the Arians. allegedly, his association with gift-giving is based in part on a traditional story that he secretly tossed gifts of gold through the windows of the house of three poor woman to provide them dowries so they could marry and avoid having to become prostitutes to support themselves.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 12-13-2016 at 09:21 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 AM

Yeah thanks I read Wikipedia.

And I say what God tells me to.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Yeah thanks I read Wikipedia.

And I say what God tells me to.

of course, it's your right to say whatever you want----whether God tells you to or not. don't think my response in any way said otherwise. OTOH, it's also not unreasonable for me (whether God told me to or not ) to make the point that St. Nicholas is not somehow "just a Catholic thing" and that there is in fact an interesting "back story" on the increasingly tenuous relationship of that Christian "saint" honored by Catholics, Orthodox, and not a few other Christians of other types to the generally very secularized "Santa Claus" and "Kris Kringle" (let alone "Father Christmas").

for the sake of clarity, it might also be worthwhile noting that "Santa Claus" through "Sinterklaas" came to America via the PROTESTANT Dutch who celebrated the day when they settled "New Amsterdam---can't really "blame" the Catholics for this particular development, LOL..

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 12-14-2016 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 09:42 AM

Many put on Kris Kringle's hat saying Merry Krismas.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Many put on Kris Kringle's hat saying Merry Krismas.

and in many if not most cases those who do (may God bless them) attach little or no special religious significance to the hat or the greeting!!!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 AM

Nor should they.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Nor should they.

EXACTLY!!! again, to be clear go inside most churches or meeting places Catholic or otherwise and the jolly old elf will be conspicuous by his absence---Santa Claus is NOT part of the religious observance of the Nativity of our Lord and Savior and never has been---no matter how often Santa may show up in other places outside the doors of such places of worship.

at best Santa may be seen to point to the idea of giving and gladness that can be associated in some manner that Christians wish to share their joy in remembering the birth of the Prince of Peace but the connection is ever more tenuous at best.

perhaps the interesting thing for me is that Christ has now been so thoroughly separated from the observance of the season in many places is that in many cases the preferred greeting is "happy holidays" with no mention of the Holy Child of Bethlehem who is indeed the nominal "reason for the season" at all.

in the peace of Christ.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Feliz Navidad.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:39 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Feliz Navidad.
Frohe Festtage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity