Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2019, 07:42 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,245 times

Advertisements

~ HO,HO,HO,
Mary-Kris-Mass From Kris Kringle
The Catholic Saint Nick ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 07:46 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
'Christmas' today is largely a celebration of greed and materialism imo. but hey, if thats what people want to worship, at least be up and honest about it, and not try to fool anyone saying otherwise. If the Christians want the focus to be on celebrating the birth of Christ, they should be instructing their parish to avoid the gift giving aspect altogether. Walking into any retail or department store this time of the year is enough to make you sick to your stomach, I imagine it looks alot like the moneychangers in the temple that Jesus violently threw out...they are blaspheming the Christian holiday and everyone seems to dig it.
AGREE! sadly Many take what they believe to be Jesus Birthdate, (not "day"), and run wild with it. even though there's prove he wasn't born Dec. 25th., and some believe this to be true, many still claim it. the lies that's incorporated into this holiday is sickening. the santas, flying reindeers, etc. it's a tradition of man and NOT of God, (Matt. 15:9 But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men many don't understand that also the Shepherds were tending the sheep's when the Angels appear to them at night our doors, (Luke 2:9). if it was winter, they would have been inside with the sheep's.

NO ONE during Jesus Birth, and after his death, celebrated his "Birthdate." sadly people seem to realize, people was NOT giving each other gifts when they heard that Jesus were around, they brought it to the baby. lastly Many that say it's Jesus "Birthday", when at places like Walmart, I've seen, (some may have claim to be a Christian), fighting over special deals. it's NOT about Jesus if people are incorporating lies, or NOT showing a God-like personality. I asked someone did they think Jesus would like what was happening. they said he didn't care basically, "just as long as they acknowledge that it was his birthday", so sad! as those of the Christendom world say, satan is busy." peace

Old 12-24-2019, 08:33 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
AGREE! sadly Many take what they believe to be Jesus Birthdate, (not "day"), and run wild with it. even though there's prove he wasn't born Dec. 25th., and some believe this to be true, many still claim it. the lies that's incorporated into this holiday is sickening. the santas, flying reindeers, etc. it's a tradition of man and NOT of God, (Matt. 15:9 But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men many don't understand that also the Shepherds were tending the sheep's when the Angels appear to them at night our doors, (Luke 2:9). if it was winter, they would have been inside with the sheep's.

NO ONE during Jesus Birth, and after his death, celebrated his "Birthdate." sadly people seem to realize, people was NOT giving each other gifts when they heard that Jesus were around, they brought it to the baby. lastly Many that say it's Jesus "Birthday", when at places like Walmart, I've seen, (some may have claim to be a Christian), fighting over special deals. it's NOT about Jesus if people are incorporating lies, or NOT showing a God-like personality. I asked someone did they think Jesus would like what was happening. they said he didn't care basically, "just as long as they acknowledge that it was his birthday", so sad! as those of the Christendom world say, satan is busy." peace
The intent is to celebrate the birth of Christ. A day was chosen to do so. Get over it

Old 12-24-2019, 08:36 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,011,499 times

Old 12-24-2019, 08:40 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,726,323 times
happy second day of Channukah everyone... candy Poker anyone?

yes Satan is always busy too in all parts of the year..... and will continue to be until he is stopped.
we should not stop living and just do nothing either . as he says .... to the lawful all things can be done lawful. and
the lawless will
do all things lawlessly.......because Satan and his horde is busy doing evil ..
then maybe we should get busier doing what we see the Father doing. it is a great time of year to do just that.. you can speak to anyone this time of year.. everyone is in a good mood this time of year... the world lit up and happy....
that is how we overcome Satan.
not protesting family nights in lights. but doing what the Father is doing, that is how Satan is overcome..

here is the real challenge, the only real challenge..

Mat 9:36

When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

Mat 9:37

He said to his disciples, “The harvest is great, but the workers are few.

Mat 9:38

So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields.â€

I think he sees the same thing, when he looks at America.
yes she is a materialistic.. but no one gives away or loves everyone more than she does....
but after looking at Abrahams's life and all his blessings on Job.... do we think The Lord really despises wealth?
no.. but wealth does make people very confused about what is really important. Then they can get lost easy..

Old 12-24-2019, 08:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But that is what YOU are focusing on by going into the stores at this time of year. You don't see all the people who aren't there, right? Not all of us get into a frenzy, and you are not in any position to proclaim what churches "should" be telling parishioners to do or not do as regards gift-giving. Buying my elderly mother a heated blanket for Christmas doesn't mean I'm dissing Christianity.

I suggest you get off that judgmental high horse and worry about what YOU do at Christmas and not everyone else.
You are right, that kind of gift giving is fine, however if your elderly mother gave you a 5 page list of all the new electronic gadgets she just had to have, 'in the celebration of christmas'...that is something else entirely.

I dont care what people do or want to celebrate, but I do have an issue of people trying to claim they are 'celebrating Christmas' by going nuts at the retail stores or having a 5 page wish list for Christmas. LOL People should be honest about what they are celebrating, if its greed and materialism, thats fine, call it what it is and be honest about it, but trying to associate that with 'celebrating christmas', that is just wrong and fake.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:06 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post

I do not know one single person who actually believes that December 25th was Jesus's birthdate. You need to stop listening to what people tell you and get out in the real world and meet some actual people who are not in the same small circle that you are.

I realize that idea is counter to how you've been told to think, but you do have to understand that to the rest of us, what you say sounds very uninformed.

Whether or not people celebrate Christmas has very little to do with their beliefs.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
The intent is to celebrate the birth of Christ. A day was chosen to do so. Get over it

Succinct wins again.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are right, that kind of gift giving is fine, however if your elderly mother gave you a 5 page list of all the new electronic gadgets she just had to have, 'in the celebration of christmas'...that is something else entirely.

I dont care what people do or want to celebrate, but I do have an issue of people trying to claim they are 'celebrating Christmas' by going nuts at the retail stores or having a 5 page wish list for Christmas. LOL People should be honest about what they are celebrating, if its greed and materialism, thats fine, call it what it is and be honest about it, but trying to associate that with 'celebrating christmas', that is just wrong and fake.
If my mother wanted to give me a list of 100 electronic gadgets she wanted, that still would be none of your business whatsoever. Who the heck are you to tell other people how to observe Christmas?

It's frankly weird that you are going to retail stores and malls to glare at and judge people's holiday shopping.

How do you know these people you are watching are or aren't religious? Perhaps they ARE celebrating greed and materialism and have no interest whatsoever in the origins of the holiday they are shopping for. That's none of YOUR business.

Those of us who prefer to keep Christmas low-key and not buy into the consumerism part of this time of year just do it. I enjoy the peace of not fighting traffic or going to a mall, but if that's what blows other peoples' skirts up, they can have at it. It doesn't concern me. Maybe you need to let go of this. Why not seek peace instead?

Old 12-24-2019, 10:03 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If my mother wanted to give me a list of 100 electronic gadgets she wanted, that still would be none of your business whatsoever. Who the heck are you to tell other people how to observe Christmas?

It's frankly weird that you are going to retail stores and malls to glare at and judge people's holiday shopping.

How do you know these people you are watching are or aren't religious? Perhaps they ARE celebrating greed and materialism and have no interest whatsoever in the origins of the holiday they are shopping for. That's none of YOUR business.

Those of us who prefer to keep Christmas low-key and not buy into the consumerism part of this time of year just do it. I enjoy the peace of not fighting traffic or going to a mall, but if that's what blows other peoples' skirts up, they can have at it. It doesn't concern me. Maybe you need to let go of this. Why not seek peace instead?
Amen, MQ! Such accusatory and condemnatory attitudes do no one any good whatsoever. It hurts the accuser and condemner the most. Focus on the love of God and each other and enjoy the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity