Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Do what?...
Think about it for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
''O Lord, Please don't let Rain be an American.''

''O Look, somebody dropped a bomb on the day of our Babylonian Messiah?''

What do you know from demonic Rain?

Holy days are set for big events, but then I am speaking of the Holy days of Christ, not the invented holy days of Rome and Babylon.

The greatest victories of God not only happened on Rosh Hashanah, the great victory of all is set from Rosh Hashanah to Yom Kippur and a special year will come that on Rosh Hashanah, everyone will realize where they are standing as the thrones are put in place, the books opened, your name spoken and we find out just where you stand by the holy days you keep.

We know Richard, and Pruzhany are sealed right between their eyes and upon their right hand enough to know that they are sealed against Yom Kippur, and they have been protected and sealed especially by God's promise that the both of them keep.

What about you Rain?

Are you sealed in your forehead as Richard and Pruzhany are?

Or do you teach against such things, the ways of God?

Demonic BEGINS with a person separating himself from God and his commandments, and Anti-Christ is going around teaching against a Jewish Messiah and the 7 feasts of Messiah that God appointed himself. Are you one of those people who keep the commandments and who teach others to keep the commandments or is it that you teach against the 7 feasts of Messiah, God's commandments and his ways?

One can be defined as demonic because he is literally fighting against God and God's appointed ways, his appointed wedding contract which the law happens to be.

Bombs were meant to happen on Holy days, victory is SET AND APPOINTED by Holy days, I doubt they had it all planned around Holy days but if I was in charge and had a bit of leeway, bombs would drop on Rosh Hashanah.

DEMONIC might be when good men do nothing in the face of tyranny, but what would somebody know of demons if they can never admit having been indwelled by one?

Billions of people are claiming Holy spirits as if God is speaking directly to them but that is not how it works. Just because somebody hears a spirit talking to them or maybe they experience coincidence after coincidence doesn't equate to God speaking through you.

Demonic powers ARE the problem, and we begin dealing with demonic powers from the moment somebody creates their own religion not of God just as Islam and Christianity has done, Christianity hung in there so long but keeping the ways of God got you and your family dead because demonic forces were controlling and killing the people of God.

Both Islam and Christianity began with Pesach, Shavuot and Sukkot where Christianity hung in there and kept them for over 100 years, Islam did not last that long but Mohammed in fact began with Pesach and the feasts of God because he was presenting himself to the Jews and just as the Samaritans believed in the coming of their own Messiah, they too waited on their prophet, all the while claiming to be the new Israel just like the woman at the well said,'' Our father Jacob built this well.'' They were claiming to be the new Israel.

It is like discussing the spirit of Elijah coming to a person. The spirit of Elijah doesn't go to Jews, Elijah was sent to Ahab in the Northern kingdom because they had rejected the Jews, Jerusalem and the worship system of God.

The spirit of Elijah goes out to gentiles trying to get them to convert to Judaism.

Gentiles fight a spiritual war and they can't even begin to overcome unless they die as a Passover lamb themselves, they cannot even begin to overcome unless they accept the ways of God which happen to be Jewish ways, but once a gentile begins, there is a set and appointed progressive ladder that one walks from the gentile court trying to become the people of God who are able to progressively enter the two sections of the temple proper.

Before a gentile can overcome what is within him, first he has to realize something is there, something is standing in the wing of the temple{him} and it is an abomination that is speaking with the person, a son of lawlessness to be overcome.

Is Anti-Messiah demonic?
Is Anti-God demonic?

Christians would all say that anti-Christ is demonic, unfortunately, they don't know what it is but we have plenty of Examples from Jeroboam, to Ahab and Jezebel, Constantine, to Daniel's Anti-Messiah who came to turn the children of God away from the commandments of God. He came to lure the youth away from the worship system of God and he almost succeeded. I would say that demonic or anti-Christ is where you go out and try to turn the people of God away from his commandments, his worship system to where you are standing as the lawless one who stands against everything that is called of God or that is worshipped.

Even though people know that they know that they know they do this, somehow they refuse to admit it or that somehow their authority is really above God's own words.

I would say Demonic is where you go out and fight against God himself, you fight against his commandments and his people and if you can accomplish turning just one of God's people away from loving his Torah, you have done the work of a demon.

What else is more anti-God than literally being against God's commandments and his own appointed ways of worship that he demands his people to follow?

What is more demonic than trying to turn the children of God away from their God to assimilate them into the nations of gentiles so that they no longer follow their God?

God is all merciful though, even Jesus says people can choose not to keep the commandments of God and even teach others not to keep them AND STILL BE IN HEAVEN, only that they will no doubt be the least in the kingdom of heaven.

But if we are to speak of demonic, it begins with a person who is fighting God and everything that is called or worshipped of God. That is my opinion.
I think you get away with insulting Christians a lot in this forum, that is what I think. It's a little brazen for you to do it on Good Friday, but I'm not surprised since you have rejected Jesus Christ. You have Moses and the prophets - go see if they can save you.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:48 PM

23,149 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I think you get away with insulting Christians a lot in this forum, that is what I think. It's a little brazen for you to do it on Good Friday, but I'm not surprised since you have rejected Jesus Christ. You have Moses and the prophets - go see if they can save you.
Sorry dude, I apologies if I offended you. I should have let you call us demonic and not said anything, it just kind of struck me wrong is all, and regret speaking too frankly. Got a lot going on but there is no excuse for me being rude, having said that, I do believe I am THE CHRISTIAN.

I would spread Christianity everywhere, the way the first 100 years was, just how the original Christian church was and this is my offense, because I want that Christianity, and THAT Christianity was a legal sect of willing converts to Judaism who were on fire for Judaism.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
but I'm not surprised since you have rejected Jesus Christ. You have Moses and the prophets - go see if they can save you.

This is like the greatest thing anyone has ever said to me, thanks.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
''O Lord, Please don't let Rain be an American.''

''O Look, somebody dropped a bomb on the day of our Babylonian Messiah?''

What do you know from demonic Rain?

Holy days are set for big events, but then I am speaking of the Holy days of Christ, not the invented holy days of Rome and Babylon.

The greatest victories of God not only happened on Rosh Hashanah, the great victory of all is set from Rosh Hashanah to Yom Kippur and a special year will come that on Rosh Hashanah, everyone will realize where they are standing as the thrones are put in place, the books opened, your name spoken and we find out just where you stand by the holy days you keep.

We know Richard, and Pruzhany are sealed right between their eyes and upon their right hand enough to know that they are sealed against Yom Kippur, and they have been protected and sealed especially by God's promise that the both of them keep.

What about you Rain?

Are you sealed in your forehead as Richard and Pruzhany are?

Or do you teach against such things, the ways of God?

Demonic BEGINS with a person separating himself from God and his commandments, and Anti-Christ is going around teaching against a Jewish Messiah and the 7 feasts of Messiah that God appointed himself. Are you one of those people who keep the commandments and who teach others to keep the commandments or is it that you teach against the 7 feasts of Messiah, God's commandments and his ways?

One can be defined as demonic because he is literally fighting against God and God's appointed ways, his appointed wedding contract which the law happens to be.

Bombs were meant to happen on Holy days, victory is SET AND APPOINTED by Holy days, I doubt they had it all planned around Holy days but if I was in charge and had a bit of leeway, bombs would drop on Rosh Hashanah.

DEMONIC might be when good men do nothing in the face of tyranny, but what would somebody know of demons if they can never admit having been indwelled by one?

Billions of people are claiming Holy spirits as if God is speaking directly to them but that is not how it works. Just because somebody hears a spirit talking to them or maybe they experience coincidence after coincidence doesn't equate to God speaking through you.

Demonic powers ARE the problem, and we begin dealing with demonic powers from the moment somebody creates their own religion not of God just as Islam and Christianity has done, Christianity hung in there so long but keeping the ways of God got you and your family dead because demonic forces were controlling and killing the people of God.

Both Islam and Christianity began with Pesach, Shavuot and Sukkot where Christianity hung in there and kept them for over 100 years, Islam did not last that long but Mohammed in fact began with Pesach and the feasts of God because he was presenting himself to the Jews and just as the Samaritans believed in the coming of their own Messiah, they too waited on their prophet, all the while claiming to be the new Israel just like the woman at the well said,'' Our father Jacob built this well.'' They were claiming to be the new Israel.

It is like discussing the spirit of Elijah coming to a person. The spirit of Elijah doesn't go to Jews, Elijah was sent to Ahab in the Northern kingdom because they had rejected the Jews, Jerusalem and the worship system of God.

The spirit of Elijah goes out to gentiles trying to get them to convert to Judaism.

Gentiles fight a spiritual war and they can't even begin to overcome unless they die as a Passover lamb themselves, they cannot even begin to overcome unless they accept the ways of God which happen to be Jewish ways, but once a gentile begins, there is a set and appointed progressive ladder that one walks from the gentile court trying to become the people of God who are able to progressively enter the two sections of the temple proper.

Before a gentile can overcome what is within him, first he has to realize something is there, something is standing in the wing of the temple{him} and it is an abomination that is speaking with the person, a son of lawlessness to be overcome.

Is Anti-Messiah demonic?
Is Anti-God demonic?

Christians would all say that anti-Christ is demonic, unfortunately, they don't know what it is but we have plenty of Examples from Jeroboam, to Ahab and Jezebel, Constantine, to Daniel's Anti-Messiah who came to turn the children of God away from the commandments of God. He came to lure the youth away from the worship system of God and he almost succeeded. I would say that demonic or anti-Christ is where you go out and try to turn the people of God away from his commandments, his worship system to where you are standing as the lawless one who stands against everything that is called of God or that is worshipped.

Even though people know that they know that they know they do this, somehow they refuse to admit it or that somehow their authority is really above God's own words.

I would say Demonic is where you go out and fight against God himself, you fight against his commandments and his people and if you can accomplish turning just one of God's people away from loving his Torah, you have done the work of a demon.

What else is more anti-God than literally being against God's commandments and his own appointed ways of worship that he demands his people to follow?

What is more demonic than trying to turn the children of God away from their God to assimilate them into the nations of gentiles so that they no longer follow their God?

God is all merciful though, even Jesus says people can choose not to keep the commandments of God and even teach others not to keep them AND STILL BE IN HEAVEN, only that they will no doubt be the least in the kingdom of heaven.

But if we are to speak of demonic, it begins with a person who is fighting God and everything that is called or worshipped of God. That is my opinion.

Maybe the mods will delete this, it really offended somebody and I am sorry for that. My sincere apologize.

Please forgive me.

Seriously, I feel bad now.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 04-14-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 04-15-2017, 12:17 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Maybe the mods will delete this, it really offended somebody and I am sorry for that. My sincere apologize.

Please forgive me.

Seriously, I feel bad now.
Nah,
Something is drawing near, and everyone is sure of the purity that all seek.

Time can only tell of those with courage enough to stand at the very place they are meant to,...

Or is it a place many would ask of one man to move from?

I'm starting to think the wolf is food. A mouth watering....

He thinks he hunts this coward. I wonder if his treasury will anchor a promise.
Nah, one man seeks another in order to ursurp the oil.
Here he comes., a saul to to grasp the gate.

Who's ready?

Old 04-15-2017, 04:03 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
First, I was answering a question regarding where in the Tanakh a reference to demons is found.

Second, under certain circumstances a person can be possessed by demons as shown in the New Testament and can cause physical and mental illnesses, and can drive a person to harm himself.

You say that demons are powerless based on the Tanakh or Masoretic text.
Deut. 32:17 .They sacrificed to demons, which have no power, deities they did not know, new things that only recently came, which your forefathers did not fear.

Devarim - Deuteronomy - Chapter 32 (Parshah Haazinu) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible
However, the Septuagint which is a Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures by Jewish scholars over the course of the third, second, and first centuries BC for Hellenistic Jews who could no longer read Hebrew reads as follows for Deuteronomy 32:17.
Deut. 32:17 17 ἔθυσαν δαιμονίοις καὶ οὐ Θεῷ, θεοῖς, οἷς οὐκ ᾔδεισαν· καινοὶ καὶ πρόσφατοι ἥκασιν, οὓς οὐκ ᾔδεισαν οἱ πατέρες αὐτῶν.

Deut. 32:17 17 They sacrificed to devils, and not to God; to gods whom they knew not: new and fresh [gods] came in, whom their fathers knew not.

1 Attend, O heaven, and I will speak; and let the earth hear the words out of m... DEUTERONOMY / ΔΕΥΤΕΡΟΝΟΜΙΟΝ32 - Bilingual Septuagint
As can be seen, the two texts differ. The Tanakh or Masoretic text is based on the Leningrad Codex which was copied in AD 1008 and is the oldest complete copy of the Masoretic or Rabbinic text of the Hebrew Bible.

The Septuagint as already shown, predates the oldest existing copies of the Masoretic text (the Tanakh). The text of the Septuagint in Deut. 32:17 reads 'and not to God' instead of 'which have no power.'

It's probable that there were different Hebrew texts in existence which accounts for the variants.
If they truly existed, as you claim, then why did their forefathers not know them?..

Last edited by Richard1965; 04-15-2017 at 04:37 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 04:35 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
First, I was answering a question regarding where in the Tanakh a reference to demons is found.

Second, under certain circumstances a person can be possessed by demons as shown in the New Testament and can cause physical and mental illnesses, and can drive a person to harm himself.

Deut. 32:17 .They sacrificed to demons, which have no power, deities they did not know, new things that only recently came, which your forefathers did not fear.

Devarim - Deuteronomy - Chapter 32 (Parshah Haazinu) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible
However, the Septuagint which is a Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures by Jewish scholars over the course of the third, second, and first centuries BC for Hellenistic Jews who could no longer read Hebrew reads as follows for Deuteronomy 32:17.
Deut. 32:17 17 ἔθυσαν δαιμονίοις καὶ οὐ Θεῷ, θεοῖς, οἷς οὐκ ᾔδεισαν· καινοὶ καὶ πρόσφατοι ἥκασιν, οὓς οὐκ ᾔδεισαν οἱ πατέρες αὐτῶν.

Deut. 32:17 17 They sacrificed to devils, and not to God; to gods whom they knew not: new and fresh [gods] came in, whom their fathers knew not.

1 Attend, O heaven, and I will speak; and let the earth hear the words out of m... DEUTERONOMY / ΔΕΥΤΕΡΟΝΟΜΙΟΝ32 - Bilingual Septuagint
As can be seen, the two texts differ. The Tanakh or Masoretic text is based on the Leningrad Codex which was copied in AD 1008 and is the oldest complete copy of the Masoretic or Rabbinic text of the Hebrew Bible.

The Septuagint as already shown, predates the oldest existing copies of the Masoretic text (the Tanakh). The text of the Septuagint in Deut. 32:17 reads 'and not to God' instead of 'which have no power.'

It's probable that there were different Hebrew texts in existence which accounts for the variants.

The Letter of Aristeas
The whole argument that the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek before the time of Christ rests upon a single document. All other historical evidence supporting the argument either quotes or references this single letter...

..The verifiable facts:

The writer of this letter, Aristeas, claims to have been a Greek court official during the time of Philadelphus' reign. He claims to have been sent by Demetrius to request the best scholars of Israel to bring a copy of the Hebrew scriptures to Alexandria to start the Septuagint translation project. He even goes so far as to give names of Septuagint scholars, yet many of the names he gives are from the Maccabean era, some 75 years too late. Many of them are Greek names, definitely not the names of Hebrew scholars. There are many other evidences that this letter is from a different time period, and is thus a fake. The writer is lying about his identity.
The supposed "librarian," Demetrius of Phalerum (ca. 345-283) served in the court of Ptolemy Soter. Demetrius was never the librarian under Philadelphus.
The letter quotes the king telling Demetrius and the translators, when they arrived, how wonderful it was that they came on the anniversary of his "naval victory over Antigonus" (Aristeas 7:14). But the only such recorded Egyptian naval victory occurred many years after Demetrius death, so the letter is a fraud!

New Testament evidence
Many scholars claim that Christ and his apostles used the Septuagint, preferring it above the preserved Hebrew text found in the temple and synagogues. But if the Greek Septuagint was the Bible Jesus used, he would not have said,

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." (Matthew 5:18)
Why would Jesus not have said this? Because the jot is a Hebrew letter, and the tittle is a small mark to distinguish between Hebrew letters. If Jesus used the Greek Septuagint, His scriptures would not have contained the jot and tittle. He obviously used the Hebrew scriptures!

In addition, Jesus only mentioned the scripture text in two ways, (1) "The Law and the Prophets" and (2) "The Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms":

"And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me." Luke 24:44
The Hebrews divide their Bible into three parts: the Law, the Prophets and the Writings. Jesus clearly referred to this. The Septuagint had no such division. In fact, it contains Apocryphal books interspersed throughout the Old Testament. The sequence is so hopelessly mixed up that Jesus could not possibly have been referring to it! - https://www.chick.com/ask/articles/septuagint.asp

Old 04-15-2017, 09:53 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:

Quote:
The Letter of Aristeas
The whole argument that the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek before the time of Christ rests upon a single document. All other historical evidence supporting the argument either quotes or references this single letter...

..The verifiable facts:

The writer of this letter, Aristeas, claims to have been a Greek court official during the time of Philadelphus' reign. He claims to have been sent by Demetrius to request the best scholars of Israel to bring a copy of the Hebrew scriptures to Alexandria to start the Septuagint translation project. He even goes so far as to give names of Septuagint scholars, yet many of the names he gives are from the Maccabean era, some 75 years too late. Many of them are Greek names, definitely not the names of Hebrew scholars. There are many other evidences that this letter is from a different time period, and is thus a fake. The writer is lying about his identity.
The supposed "librarian," Demetrius of Phalerum (ca. 345-283) served in the court of Ptolemy Soter. Demetrius was never the librarian under Philadelphus.
The letter quotes the king telling Demetrius and the translators, when they arrived, how wonderful it was that they came on the anniversary of his "naval victory over Antigonus" (Aristeas 7:14). But the only such recorded Egyptian naval victory occurred many years after Demetrius death, so the letter is a fraud!

New Testament evidence
Many scholars claim that Christ and his apostles used the Septuagint, preferring it above the preserved Hebrew text found in the temple and synagogues. But if the Greek Septuagint was the Bible Jesus used, he would not have said,

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." (Matthew 5:18)
Why would Jesus not have said this? Because the jot is a Hebrew letter, and the tittle is a small mark to distinguish between Hebrew letters. If Jesus used the Greek Septuagint, His scriptures would not have contained the jot and tittle. He obviously used the Hebrew scriptures!

In addition, Jesus only mentioned the scripture text in two ways, (1) "The Law and the Prophets" and (2) "The Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms":

"And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me." Luke 24:44
The Hebrews divide their Bible into three parts: the Law, the Prophets and the Writings. Jesus clearly referred to this. The Septuagint had no such division. In fact, it contains Apocryphal books interspersed throughout the Old Testament. The sequence is so hopelessly mixed up that Jesus could not possibly have been referring to it! - https://www.chick.com/ask/articles/septuagint.asp
While the legend of how the Septuagint came to be written may rest upon the letter written by Aristeas, the whole argument that the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek before the time of Christ does not rest upon a single document. Other factors include, for one, the fact that the Koine Greek used in the Septuagint is that of early Koine.
History[edit]

The date of the 3rd century BCE is supported (for the Torah translation) by a number of factors, including the Greek being representative of early Koine, citations beginning as early as the 2nd century BCE, and early manuscripts datable to the 2nd century.[17][18]

After the Torah, other books were translated over the next two to three centuries. It is not altogether clear which was translated when, or where; some may even have been translated twice, into different versions, and then revised.[19] The quality and style of the different translators also varied considerably from book to book, from the literal to paraphrasing to interpretative.

The translation process of the Septuagint itself and from the Septuagint into other versions can be broken down into several distinct stages, during which the social milieu of the translators shifted from Hellenistic Judaism to Early Christianity. The translation of the Septuagint itself began in the 3rd century BCE and was completed by 132 BCE,[20][21][22] initially in Alexandria, but in time elsewhere as well.[8] The Septuagint is the basis for the Old Latin, Slavonic, Syriac, Old Armenian, Old Georgian and Coptic versions of the Christian Old Testament.[23]

17. Jump up ^ J.A.L. Lee, A Lexical Study of the Septuagint Version of the Pentateuch (Septuagint and Cognate Studies, 14. Chico, CA: Scholars Press, 1983; Reprint SBL, 2006)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint

Dating and critical scholarship

Modern scholarship holds that the LXX was translated and composed over the course of the 3rd through 1st centuries BC, beginning with the Torah. The oldest manuscripts of the LXX include 2nd century BC fragments of Leviticus and Deuteronomy and first century BC fragments of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, and the Minor Prophets.

Septuagint | Theopedia

The fact that the apostles quoted from the Septuagint is easily verified simply by comparing a few of the New Testament quotes with both the Septuagint and the Hebrew Scriptures.

1.) Matthew 12:21 quotes Isaiah 42:4.
Matthew 12:21 ''in His name the Gentiles will hope.”

Septuagint: Isaiah 42:4 4 He shall shine out, and shall not be discouraged, until he have set judgement on the earth: and in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

Hebrew Tanack: Isaiah 42:4 .Neither shall he weaken nor shall he be broken, until he establishes justice in the land, and for his instruction, islands shall long.

Matthew 12:21 quotes the Septuagint. Click and read: 1 Jacob is my servant, I will help him: Israel is my chosen, my soul has accept... ESAIAS / ΗΣΑΪΑΣ42 - Bilingual Septuagint

2.) Acts 7:43 quotes Amos 5:26
Acts 7:43 You took up the tent of Moloch and the star of your god Rephan, the images that you made to worship; and I will send you into exile beyond Babylon.’

Septuagint: Amos 5:26- 27 Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, and the star of your god Raephan, the images of them which you made for yourselves. 27 And I will carry you away beyond Damascus, saith the Lord, the Almighty God is his name

Hebrew Tanack: Amos 5:26-27 And you shall carry Siccuth your king and Chiun your images, Kochav your god, which you have made for yourselves. .And I will exile you beyond Damascus, said He Whose Name is the Lord God of Hosts.

Acts 7:43 quotes the Septuagint. Click and read: 1 Hear ye this word of the Lord, even a lamentation, which I take up against yo... AMOS / ΑΜΩΣ5 - Bilingual Septuagint

3.) Acts 15:17 quotes Amos 9:12
Acts 15:17 that the remnant of mankind may seek the Lord, and all the Gentiles who are called by my name, says the Lord, who makes these things

Septuagint: Amos 9:12 that the remnant of men, and all the Gentiles upon whom my name is called, may earnestly seek [me], saith the Lord who does all these things.

Hebrew Tanack: Amos 9:12 .In order that they inherit the remnant of Edom and all the nations because My Name is called upon them, says the Lord Who does this.

Acts 15:17 quotes the Septuagint. Click and read: 1 I saw the Lord standing on the altar: and he said, Smite the mercy-seat, and ... AMOS / ΑΜΩΣ9 - Bilingual Septuagint

4.) Romans 2:24 quotes Isaiah 52:5
Romans 2:24 For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

Septuagint: Isaiah 52:5 And now why are ye here? Thus saith the Lord, Because my people was taken for nothing, wonder ye and howl. Thus saith the Lord, On account of you my name is continually blasphemed among the Gentiles.

Hebrew Tanack: Isaiah 52:5 ."And now, what have I here," says the Lord, "that My people has been taken for nothing. His rulers boast," says the Lord, "and constantly all day My name is blasphemed.

The Hebrew Tanack omits the reference to the Gentiles. Romans 2:24 quotes the Septuagint. Click and read: 1 Awake, awake, Sion; put on thy strength, O Sion; and o thou put on thy glory,... ESAIAS / ΗΣΑΪΑΣ52 - Bilingual Septuagint

5.) Galatians 3:13 quotes Deuteronomy 21:23
Galatians 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”

Septuagint: Deuteronomy 21:23 his body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but ye shall by all means bury it in that day; for every one that is hanged on a tree is cursed of God; and ye shall by no means defile the land which the Lord thy God gives thee for an inheritance.

Hebrew Tanack: Deuteronomy 21:23 .But you shall not leave his body on the pole overnight. Rather, you shall bury him on that [same] day, for a hanging [human corpse] is a blasphemy of God, and you shall not defile your land, which the Lord, your God, is giving you as an inheritance.

The Hebrew Tanack omits the word 'tree.' Galatians 3:13 quotes the Septuagint. Click and read: 1 And if one be found slain with the sword in the land, which the Lord thy God ... DEUTERONOMY / ΔΕΥΤΕΡΟΝΟΜΙΟΝ21 - Bilingual Septuagint

6.) Hebrews 10:5 quotes Psalm 40:6 (39:6 in the Septuagint; Psalm 40:7 in the Hebrew Tanack).
Hebrews 10:5 Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said, “Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired, but a body have you prepared for me;

Septuagint: Psalm 39:6 Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not; but a body hast thou prepared me: whole-burnt-offering and [sacrifice] for sin thou didst not require.

Hebrew Tanack: Psalm 40:7 You desired neither sacrifice nor meal offering; You dug ears for me; a burnt offering or a sin offering You did not request.

The Hebrew Tanack does not contain the phrase ''a body you have prepared for Me'', but the Septuagint does. Hebrews 10:5 quotes the Septuagint.

7.) James 4:6 quotes Proverbs 3:34
James 4:6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”

Septuagint: Proverbs 3:34 The Lord resists the proud; but he gives grace to the humble.

Hebrew Tanack: Proverbs 3:34 If [one goes] to the scoffers, he will scoff; but [if he goes] to the humble, he evokes grace.

James 4:6 quotes the Septuagint. Click and read: 1 [My] son, forget not my laws; but let thine heart keep my words: 2 for length... PROVERBS OF SOLOMON / ΠΑΡΟΙΜΙΑΙ ΣΟΛΟΜΩΝΤΟΣ3 - Bilingual Septuagint
And so, yes, the New Testament writers did in fact quote from the Septuagint.

Since this is somewhat off the topic of the thread this is as far as I'm going to address the issue of when the Septuagint was written.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
The Letter of Aristeas

..The verifiable facts:

New Testament evidence

Excellent post Richard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity