Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:38 PM

331 posts, read 167,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyB View Post
Yes, people don't need to go far to determine if they are Christians or not.

John 1:1 and 1:14 are all that is required.
The person who does not believe:
the Word was God, and was with (Father) God, and became flesh,
does not believe Scripture, and therefore is not a Christian.
Really simple.
As I said, I know the verses very well, but I'm not going to do your work for you!!

Produce the verses (not the number and name) and show why they mean what you think they do and I will show you why you are wrong!

You base your understanding of this verse on a biased and very poor translation. Most Bible translation is done by Trinitarians who naturally choose words that favor their bias. This does not mean that their translations are at all proper or in keeping with the intent of the authors!

I believe scripture absolutely, but I do not accept your horrible interpretations which skew the intended meaning. I am a Christian, and you can keep the ad hominems to yourself hypocrite!

Old 02-11-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
As for the texts of the Old Testament (Septuagint or Masoretic), I want to add something. Evangelists were familiar to both, the greek text and the hebrew text. How I know it? Because in Matthew 1:23 he uses the prophecy of Isaiah 7:14 from the greek translation (Septuagint) and in Matthew 2:15 he uses the prophecy of Hosea 11:1 from the hebrew text, because in the greek text we use there is not the word "my son", It is in the hebrew text. Also, John in John 19:37 uses a prophecy for Jesus' crucifixion from the hebrew text because again the word "pierced" does not exist in the greek text. Luke in Luke 4:18-19 uses the prophecy from Isaiah 61:1-2 from the greek text. So the holy evangelists and the apostles were familiar to both texts.
Their familiarity with both texts has never been in question. The issue was your dishonest misrepresentation of the words of the Greek LXX. Also "I Am" is a bad translation of Ehyeh in the Masoretic hebrew text, which should be "I will be." Ego eimi as spoken by Christ as a self identification has nothing to do with the text of exodus 3:14,

Old 02-11-2017, 01:24 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivram View Post
Really? You can't tell the difference between figurative poetic language and literal facts? So you think that trees literally have hands and can clap them? ROFLMAO!!!
It is figurative, yes. But when thinking like God they do sing. So man's reason says they cannot sing but God's reason says they do.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:28 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivram View Post
God's thoughts ARE above our thoughts, which is all the more reason that His thoughts are not unreasonable or illogical. So as I said, If your ideas are illogical and unreasonable, they did not originate with God!!
It is not logical that mountains sing so to you it is not from God. LOL

Old 02-11-2017, 01:55 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
To be a christian means to believe in Jesus as the eternal Son and Word of God who became human for us (1 John 4:2-3). Sorry if you think that I curse you or that I am angry. I am not. I am just trying to show you that you are in a wrong way if you accept jewish interpretations except christian. You said that Thomas called Jesus as "god" and not "God" so how can I understand it? Is there a god near God?
How about being a Christian simply means to follow the founder of the religion and what he taught, not what people have written about him, but what he actually taught?...

If the son of G-d became human for us, then who was his mother?...

Old 02-11-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I am just trying to show you that you are in a wrong way if you accept jewish interpretations except christian.
Why not?...Judaism did not turn into Christianity...

Old 02-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
It is figurative, yes. But when thinking like God they do sing. So man's reason says they cannot sing but God's reason says they do.
That was a really cheesy come-back, and it still does nothing to negate my statement that God does not speak illogically, and that we are not to abandon reason!

Old 02-11-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
It is not logical that mountains sing so to you it is not from God. LOL
Get a clue! It is neither logical or illogical. It is figurative and therefore not meant to be taken literally! So right back at you!!

!!!

Old 02-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
As for the texts of the Old Testament (Septuagint or Masoretic), I want to add something. Evangelists were familiar to both, the greek text and the hebrew text. How I know it? Because in Matthew 1:23 he uses the prophecy of Isaiah 7:14 from the greek translation (Septuagint)

However, in the Hebrew text:

Yeshayahu- Isaiah - Chapter 7

14 Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold, the young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call his name Immanuel.

Rashi's Commentary:

the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign: He will give you a sign by Himself, against Your will.

is with child: This is actually the future, as we find concerning Manoah’s wife, that the angel said to her (Judges 13:3): “And you shall conceive and bear a son,” and it is written, “Behold, you are with child and shall bear a son.”

the young woman: My wife will conceive this year. This was the fourth year of Ahaz.

and she shall call his name: Divine inspiration will rest upon her.

Immanuel: [lit. God is with us. That is] to say that our Rock shall be with us, and this is the sign, for she is a young girl, and she never prophesied, yet in this instance, Divine inspiration shall rest upon her. This is what is stated below (8:3): “And I was intimate with the prophetess, etc.,” and we do not find a prophet’s wife called a prophetess unless she prophesied. Some interpret this as being said about Hezekiah, but it is impossible, because, when you count his years, you find that Hezekiah was born nine years before his father’s reign. And some interpret that this is the sign, that she was a young girl and incapable of giving birth.

Jesus was never called by Immanuel...And the passage is a sign to Ahaz, so it is the near future...And it says "young woman" not "virgin"...

Quote:
and in Matthew 2:15 he uses the prophecy of Hosea 11:1 from the hebrew text, because in the greek text we use there is not the word "my son", It is in the hebrew text.

Hoshea - Hosea - Chapter 11

1 For, when Israel was young, I loved him, and from Egypt I called My son.

Rashi's Commentary:

and from Egypt I called My son: through My prophets to cleave to My Torah. But what did they do?…

This wasn't a prophecy because it was talking of the past...A prophecy, by the way, is not an all-purpose thing...It had a one-time application...

Quote:
Also, John in John 19:37 uses a prophecy for Jesus' crucifixion from the hebrew text because again the word "pierced" does not exist in the greek text.
Do you mean this one?:

Zechariah - Chapter 12

10 And I will pour out upon the house of David and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplications. And they shall look to me because of those who have been thrust through [with swords], and they shall mourn over it as one mourns over an only son and shall be in bitterness, therefore, as one is embittered over a firstborn son.

Rashi's Commentary:

a spirit of grace and supplications: That it should come into their mind to supplicate Me, and they will be in My good graces.

a spirit: Talant in Old French, a desire.

they shall look to Me because of those who have been thrust through: Jonathan renders: And they shall supplicate Me because of their wanderings. And they shall look to Me to complain about those of them whom the nations thrust through and slew during their exile.

and they shall mourn over it: Over that slaughter.

as one mourns over an only son: As a man mourns over his only son. And our Sages expounded this in tractate Sukkah (52a) as referring to the Messiah, son of Joseph, who was slain.

Notice how they changed the words in the Christian Old Testament from what was really written in the Hebrew?...

Quote:
Luke in Luke 4:18-19 uses the prophecy from Isaiah 61:1-2 from the greek text. So the holy evangelists and the apostles were familiar to both texts.
Yeshayahu- Isaiah - Chapter 61

1 The spirit of the Lord God was upon me, since the Lord anointed me to bring tidings to the humble, He sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to declare freedom for the captives, and for the prisoners to free from captivity.

Rashi's Commentary:

since the Lord anointed me: This anointing is nothing but an expression of nobility and greatness.

to declare freedom for the captives: That is to say, to bring them the tidings of the redemption.

to free from captivity: Heb. פְּקַח קוֹחַ. Open their imprisonment and their captivity and release them.

This wasn't prophecy, it was Isaiah speaking regarding himself...

2 To declare a year of acceptance for the Lord and a day of vengeance for our God, to console all mourners.

Rashi's Commentary:

a year of acceptance: A year of appeasement and good will.

You can't play mix and match with scriptures...

Old 02-11-2017, 03:36 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How about being a Christian simply means to follow the founder of the religion and what he taught, not what people have written about him, but what he actually taught?...

If the son of G-d became human for us, then who was his mother?...
Then why you as a Jew follow and believe what your rabbis' taught and teach? You just follow Torah and that is all. Why you look about interpretations of Rashi or others in prophets etc...? So we follow what our Fathers taught. The commandment of love it is not unique. Buddhism speak about love, Judaism and Christianity speak about love, Zoroastrianism speak about love. We speak here about religion and religion is not just love. It is also doctrines, beliefs... The term Son of God doesn't mean child of God. We say that Jesus is the Word and Wisdom of God. The term Son is used because God has His Son through eternal generation and His Spirit through eternal procession. Scriptures don't say what is the difference between generation and procession. But the meaning is that the Word and the Spirit have their source from God the Father. Actually, Richard our difference between Orthodox Christianity and Orthodox Judaism is the Trinity and Jesus. Judaism teaches that in the burning bush was God isn't it? It was a manifestation of God alright? As I read, you believe that this was Shekinah's glory. We believe that in the burning bush was the Word. That is why Paul said for Jesus that He is the radiance of God's glory (Hebrews 1:1-3).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity