Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:24 PM

45,647 posts, read 27,268,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What "holiness" REALLY means
No.... it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
This is sort of a snapshot of the different beliefs I see in this forum about God. On the one hand, there are those who say that God HAS to cut sinners off from God, and threaten them with eternal torment or destruction. They seem to think that this is "tough love" in action, but it's a failure.

I believe God's way is infinitely higher that this. God's way is to say, "I love you, and I will never leave or forsake you for any reason, no matter what you do. Period. I'm not holding anything against you. Turn to Me and be healed. I AM RIGHT HERE WITH YOU."
God sent His Son to die for sinners, and give them the opportunity to be reunited to Him.

When a person chooses by faith in Christ to reunite with God - it is THEN that he will never leave you or forsake you.

The above posts are not from the Father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 12:09 AM

678 posts, read 438,955 times
Quote:
Words like "righteousness, & holiness" are qualities I Attribute solely to God/Christ.

a minute ago, I got an email from a close friend, constantly putting me on some pedestal.
Today it was that I have the "PURE-love of Christ"
I need to correct , Again. ------------------------ that I share a Loving-relationship with God,
does not make us immortal souls "holy, or righteous".

Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 AM

63,903 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
And the point being made is that love supports decisions to turn from self-destructive behavior.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:28 AM

63,903 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
God sent His Son to die for sinners, and give them the opportunity to be reunited to Him.
Wrong ! He didn't give them an opportunity. He reconciled us to God, period. It is a done deal. It is finished!! Love is our charge and responsibility, nothing else. All the "precepts and doctrines of men" are false distractions created by the vanity and hubris of men. They are stumbling blocks to love of God and each other which is our responsibility.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:35 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Quote:
No.... it doesn't.

DRob4JC, stop and think for a moment. The word means "consecrated" or "set aside for God's purpose."

Once again you fail to see the difference between the Old Covenant and the New, The Old is about Law and forms and "purity" while the New is about love and relating and getting into the trenches and working with hurting humanity. Try to come into line with God's purpose as revealed by Jesus.

Homework: reread the parable of The Good Samaritan with this in mind. Meditate on what Jesus meant by saying that "What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."

Old 03-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong ! He didn't give them an opportunity. He reconciled us to God, period. It is a done deal. It is finished!! Love is our charge and responsibility, nothing else. All the "precepts and doctrines of men" are false distractions created by the vanity and hubris of men. They are stumbling blocks to love of God and each other which is our responsibility.
Your post is a stumbling block to God's love because you deny the main vehicle by which God's love is expressed - through the death of His Son for our sins.

1 John 4:8-10 - The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
DRob4JC, stop and think for a moment. The word means "consecrated" or "set aside for God's purpose."

Once again you fail to see the difference between the Old Covenant and the New, The Old is about Law and forms and "purity" while the New is about love and relating and getting into the trenches and working with hurting humanity. Try to come into line with God's purpose as revealed by Jesus.

Homework: reread the parable of The Good Samaritan with this in mind. Meditate on what Jesus meant by saying that "What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."
You will have to explain to me how the parable and the quote have to do with holiness.

The Old and New Covenants center around Jesus Christ - His death, burial, and resurrection for our sins - which is God's act of love towards mankind that satisfies His holy character with regards to sin.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,713,256 times
Quote:
And the point being made is that love supports decisions to turn from self-destructive behavior.
Yes, it does. That is why we are told not to overcome evil with evil, rather to overcome evil with good. This explains why WAR is INSANE.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
You will have to explain to me how the parable and the quote have to do with holiness.
I DID, DRob4JC: "Once again you fail to see the difference between the Old Covenant and the New, The Old is about Law and forms and "purity" while the New is about love and relating and getting into the trenches and working with hurting humanity. Try to come into line with God's purpose as revealed by Jesus.

It is hard to fill a cup with a lid on it.

The lid:
Quote:
The Old and New Covenants center around Jesus Christ - His death, burial, and resurrection for our sins - which is God's act of love towards mankind that satisfies His holy character with regards to sin.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
100% love is self destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity