Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 04:56 PM

186 posts, read 129,060 times

Advertisements

How old was it normal back then for females to get pregnant because all of the depiction in today's culture of Mary giving birth to Jesus is wrong because they have her as an adult but now I found out she was around 12... so why are they lying to us? They meaning the church. I remember reading the kid lessons and they had pictures and Mary was always a grown woman, not 12, so they are LYING to the kids and to the church members. They don't want people to know certain things especially when it comes to the fact that it was normal back then for 12 year old girls to get pregnant so the church in desperation tries to find ways to hide the truth. What are they so afraid of? They are taking from what it is written in the bible and changing it and I heard that's going against God.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 05:30 PM

19,096 posts, read 27,679,377 times
Jewish girls of that period usually became engaged when they were twelve or thirteen years old. Actually, for legal purposes this engagement was regarded as the first stage of a marriage, although the girl would normally remain with her parents for about a year before going to live with her husband and consummating the marriage. If she became pregnant before then, she would face public disgrace, and if the law was strictly enforced, could even be executed as an adulteress.
Thus Joseph's initial intention to back out of the marriage could have put Mary into a very difficult situation. She may have even fled from her hometown for a while, because Luke 1:36-56 says that she spent three months of her pregnancy at the house of her relative Elizabeth in Judea. Some scholars have suggested that she made this visit to avoid the humiliation she would have experienced in her own community. In any case, Joseph's eventual decision to proceed with the marriage must have been a great relief.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:39 PM

45,662 posts, read 27,282,625 times
How did you find out she was 12?

I think the important part is not necessarily her age, but that she was a virgin.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:43 PM

19,096 posts, read 27,679,377 times
Actually it's a consensus that she was around 12. Easy Google.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,655,894 times
Lol, yea, little bit on the fair side there I'd say. Such images of Jesus certainly have a European influence. Realistically, it is a well known fact that girls were marred and became pregnant quite young in Biblical times as opposed to our standards today. But people didn't live near as long back then either. 40 would be a pretty ripe age. Life was hard, medical care practically non existent. An injury such as a laceration or fracture that doctors consider a simple matter today could have easily been a death sentence back then.

Pregnancy and child birth was a serious risk for a woman. For a woman of 25-30 back then having a child was practically out of the question. They would have just been to old and their bodies to beat up and depleted from the rigors of daily life to even hope to rebound from giving birth. Women worked merciless hard tasks in merciless hard conditions from an early age. Prime child bearing years would have been between just after puberty to maybe 16. 17 if they weren't worked so hard as an average peasant girl.

I don't see any point in denying historical fact.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,077,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol, yea, little bit on the fair side there I'd say. Such images of Jesus certainly have a European influence. Realistically, it is a well known fact that girls were marred and became pregnant quite young in Biblical times as opposed to our standards today. But people didn't live near as long back then either. 40 would be a pretty ripe age. Life was hard, medical care practically non existent. An injury such as a laceration or fracture that doctors consider a simple matter today could have easily been a death sentence back then.

Pregnancy and child birth was a serious risk for a woman. For a woman of 25-30 back then having a child was practically out of the question. They would have just been to old and their bodies to beat up and depleted from the rigors of daily life to even hope to rebound from giving birth. Women worked merciless hard tasks in merciless hard conditions from an early age. Prime child bearing years would have been between just after puberty to maybe 16. 17 if they weren't worked so hard as an average peasant girl.

I don't see any point in denying historical fact.
I don't know if this is accurate...

Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,008,477 times
Explains the fact that she had other biological children AFTER Jesus was born.
Not overly savvy with the customs of that era, and neither are most.
It is entirely possibly though she was that age, even if she is usually depicted as a young adult.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:51 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,040,259 times
There is not record in the bible of the age of Mary when she was pregnant with Jesus , so Her age is made up by man

Old 04-28-2017, 09:11 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,655,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
It is entirely possibly though she was that age, even if she is usually depicted as a young adult.

12 or 13 would have been a young adult back then. Our own American society is not that far removed from that. It wasn't uncommon at all for someone to leave home at around that age up to the mid 20th century. My Dad left home at 13. That was in the 1940s. A capable body took the lead over mental maturity. It takes an act of congress for a kid to bug out legally before turning 18 anymore. But it really hasn't been that way for all that long.

A 13 year old leaving home now would be called a runaway. It would be almost impossible for them to find legal employment as well. My Dad made his way from the Dakotas all the way to NV and went to work on a ranch. Stuck there till he hit 17 and joined the Navy. Standards for being an "adult" were VERY different not so long ago. In Biblical times it was quite different as well.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:50 AM

45,662 posts, read 27,282,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Are you really using this as a rationale to explain that she may have been 12?

Geez - my wife was 26 when she had our first - and we had kids after that. I guess we dodged a bullet, being that she was so close to death's door...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity