Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I was saved once and for ALWAYS. I believe people can stray away but they will return. If we could be saved one day and lost the next, Jesus would take us to Heaven the minute we got saved.
Here are verses I believe support this:
1 John 5:13 "I write this to you who believe in the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life".
John 10:27-29 "My sheep recognize my voice, I know them and they follow me, I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them away from me. For my Father has given them to Me and He is more powerful than anyone else. So no one can take them from Me".
Hebrews 9:12 "Once for all time He took blood into that Most Holy Place, not the blood of goats and calves, He took His own blood, and with it He secured our salvation forever".

How can we enjoy our salvation if we could lose it tomorrow......
By not doing what we should be doing the next day. It doesn't matter how much we ate yesterday, we still need more food tomorrow. So it is with God. God wants us to receive blessings from Him every single day. We have to grow in Him not in us!

Since you are using the Old Testament, please view Ezekiel 33. There is a Biblical account of salvation needing renewal. Yes, I agree that John 10:27-29 is correct. God will never leave us but by forsaking the commandments of God, we ourselves can leave God. Don't turn me off! Please bear with me. We need to read the Word of God in context.

What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. ~ Romans 6:15 ~

Sin separates us from God.

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Titus 3:5
How are we washed? By the renewing and regeneration of ourselves. We have to be constantly viligant to keep ourselves holy unto God.

Read the parable of the sowers in Luke 8:11-15. Jesus Himself is saying it is possible for people to fall away. You can not fall away from something, unless you were first in it.

Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
Romans 6:13

Keep in mind who Paul was writing to. Paul was writing to a church to that already had a salvation experience. It is possible to no longer be righteous and turn unrighteous. Why did Paul constantly admonish the church to keep themselves from sin if there was no need to because once you're saved you're always saved? The Bible also says that no sin shall enter in. Jesus did not die on the Cross so we can be free to live however we choose. He died so we might be free to have a relationship with Himself. He did that for us! God can forgive us but that does not license us to sin. We have to keep ourselves under subjection. Yes, by Grace we are saved. Yes, it is a free gift from God but Jesus said to pick up our own cross and follow Him. Paul wrote I die daily. Just as Jesus was crucified, we must crucify our flesh daily! Remember, Paul wrote Scriptures under the anointing of God.

Moving on...

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galations 5:20

Who was Paul writing to? Again, Paul was writing to a church in Galations that already had a salvation experience. Yet what did he write under the anointing? He wrote if you participate in the works of the flesh, you shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

It might be helpful if you read the free PDF book The New Birth by David K. Bernard. The author shows the Biblical reason as to why this doctrine is a little faulty without sounding condemning. Please don't shy away from it. Challenge yourself! It is very eye opening as to the proof of God's Word. I hope this helps.

[mod] deleted [/mod]

God bless.

Aleah

Last edited by june 7th; 11-16-2012 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: URL Solicitation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Philippians 1:6 - I believe once saved, always saved. I think you can go through times of falling away, but you will always return.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,278 times
Although I can't imagine turning away once learning the truth, it does happen. Otherwise, these scriptures below would not be necessary.

2 Peter 2:20-22
20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. 21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known [it], to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog [is] turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Matt 24:13KJV
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. (why the need for endurance?)

Jude 5
Now I desire to remind you, though you were once for all fully informed, that he who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.
(why the need for this warning if they were saved for all times?)

Old 11-22-2012, 01:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Charles Stanley sums it up with a few verses.

Can a saved person backslide and be lost? (Ask Dr. Stanley) - YouTube

Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
You belive what you like- He's GOT me!!- and I have fallen and gotten angry and gone backwards, but never openly denied him and professed I would serve the enemy-instead-- I know He does NOT LIE, but I have, and if we made that contract over 30 yrs ago- He will help me to keep it, even though my flesh messes up here and there, I have the assurance of what He did on the cross and I accepted it- it is what it is,,, this is the personal side of things...

Old 11-25-2012, 01:46 PM

889 posts, read 825,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Charles Stanley sums it up with a few verses.

Can a saved person backslide and be lost? (Ask Dr. Stanley) - YouTube
I don't know what he said because I didn't watch it, but he's is completely unauthorized to teach the word of God.

Check with a Catholic or Orthodox priest.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Here are the passages that I feel prove this believe wrong. Please chime in with your thoughts and passages:

Matthew 13:20
Jesus' explanation of the Parable of the Sower:

"The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away."

Mark 13:13 Jesus says:

“All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”

Galatians 5:1 Paul says:

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."
Yes. Once saved, always saved. We don't save ourselves and we don't lose our salvation because of what we do, either.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:14 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
I believe that a believer can fall away and lose eonian salvation, but in the end will be reconciled to the Father. If we say that salvation cannot be lost, then this contradicts many places in God's word, such as in the scriptures provided. The Father who knows all things (I believe), knows who will be faithful to the end in this life and knows who will know the Lord and rule and reign with Him, in the age to come. God bless.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
OSAS is the wanton distortion \ manipulation of certian verses to have them not say what is clearly revealed otherwise:
2 Timothy 2:12
if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us;

Psalm 119:112
My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end.

Hebrews 6:11
We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure.

Matthew 5:13
[ Salt and Light ] “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

2 John 1:8
Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully.

John 15:4
Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

John 15:6
If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
1 John 2:24
See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father

Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
OSAS is the wanton distortion \ manipulation of certian verses to have them not say what is clearly revealed otherwise:
2 Timothy 2:12
if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us;

Psalm 119:112
My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end.

Hebrews 6:11
We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure.

Matthew 5:13
[ Salt and Light ] “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

2 John 1:8
Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully.

John 15:4
Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

John 15:6
If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
1 John 2:24
See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father

Not a single one of those verses say that we can lose our salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity